This one is on the coach | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This one is on the coach

Could Hughes play guard at all if we tried to go for a few minutes with Bras (pre-injury), Marek, Guerrier exchanging time at the 3/4?
Worth a try. His defense at the wing isn’t great either.

We have played many mid majors over the years with guards on par with BB and JG athletically who were somehow able to play M2M against our much better athletes.

The excuse that we cannot play M2M because of player X, Y and Z has always been BS, IMO.

Right? People act like this is the park with guys who don’t really know/care how to play team ball and it’s truly one on one, like Buddy Boeheim is going to have to check Allen Iverson while he dribbles as many times as he needs to, to shake him, while on an island with no help.

Man to man defense is every bit as much of a team defense as zone, if not more. These guys wouldn’t be any more of a liability in a legit man to man that they actually practice all the time, as they are in a zone IMO. Players with defensive weakness can be exploited in any defense.

Man to man defense is every bit as much of a team defense as zone, if not more. These guys wouldn’t be any more of a liability in a legit man to man that they actually practice all the time, as they are in a zone IMO.
This. I don't understand why a select few posters insist that JB recruits players that have a unique biological or cognitive disability that makes it impossible to learn m2m fundamentals.

Could Hughes play guard at all if we tried to go for a few minutes with Bras (pre-injury), Marek, Guerrier exchanging time at the 3/4?
Sure, he can handle the ball well enough and initiate the offense.

Fact. JB has never in his entire coaching career recruited a player who didnt play more man to man D in HS than Zone.
Hopefully Dasher has retreated to the North Pole with the other reindeer and can't read this.

Right? People act like this is the park with guys who don’t really know/care how to play team ball and it’s truly one on one, like Buddy Boeheim is going to have to check Allen Iverson while he dribbles as many times as he needs to, to shake him, while on an island with no help.

Man to man defense is every bit as much of a team defense as zone, if not more. These guys wouldn’t be any more of a liability in a legit man to man that they actually practice all the time, as they are in a zone IMO. Players with defensive weakness can be exploited in any defense.
Dead on - I agree with all of that ODW. Man defense is much more of a team defense than zone. And, there are multiple types of man team defense systems, from simple to very complex. I'll go one step further, although it is much more difficult to coach complex team defense systems compared to zone, it is "easier" to compensate for a poor defender.

Dead on - I agree with all of that ODW. Man defense is much more of a team defense than zone. And, there are multiple types of man team defense systems, from simple to very complex. I'll go one step further, although it is much more difficult to coach complex team defense systems compared to zone, it is "easier" to compensate for a poor defender.

M2M is more tiring! Can't work

Already has on at least two occasions. Even played some point against Niagara. If Quincy continues on an upward trajectory I think we may see even more of that and a core 6-man rotation. Quincy subs directly for either ; Quincy subs for Bourama and Marek slides to C; Quincy subs for either G and Eli moves to backcourt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom