This Season, whats really important, and the programs fans | Syracusefan.com

This Season, whats really important, and the programs fans

bt4421

Walk On
Has been right on as to expectations. The schedule was difficult and the coaches and players had quite a challenge. I for one have been pleased with the level of effort the kids have shown. Our staff is young and one cant even begin to judge any staff after one season.

As long as the kids are good citizens off the field, give good effort on the field, I will support them and be excited for every game they play, no matter the amount of wins or losses in a season. Since starting my fandom in the mid 70's, I have felt this way for me for decades.

Things most important:

1. Good citizens off the field. I would much rather be proud of a program that turns out good citizens over a program that emphasizes only wins. No, I'm not saying that SU has never had their share of issues with players. However, I am saying that compared to some, I think we have done a very good job of keeping thing in perspective. I have to give the Yankee speech here: If the Yankees win the World Series, and fan of theirs is boasting, I have to simply give them the Shania Twain line, "it don't impress me much". Just buy the players you want and load up. Well, if some schools emphasis wins over ethics (and we know the ones with the reputation), and they succeed on the field, who cares. "It don't impress me much"

2. Dignified head coach who earns respect. Mac - Yes!, Coach P - Yes!, HCDM - Yes!, Scott Shafer - I hope so... Had a little rough start this season in learning to control him emotions :)

3. Effort by the players. Seems like we have been very fortunate here, for the most part. It make supporting the team easy.

4. Exciting schedule. I understand the debate. Me personally however, I prefer to the good teams. I think the players do as well. While there certainty needs to be balance, I would dread a Rutgers like schedule. This is something that Syracuse has historically done well, not shying away from the big dogs. It has resulted in many good moments through the years, just adding to our rich tradition.

5. wins and losses

Fans:

Yes, the program appears to have about 25K me's who attend games. I would say this is pretty much what all NE schools have (barring Penn St). Also, attendance is down nation wide. I get sooo disappointed reading posts about how Syracuse fans are fair weather. The fact is plain and simple, they are not much different than most any other fan bases, especially when you compare apples to apples in terms of geography, size, etc. I could make the argument that they are actually better than many other "apples".

I traveled to the NC St. game, and wow, our home games seem like we're Clemson compared to their fan support. I heard the Maryland game was similar.

As was the case in the 80's and early 90's, the dome will be much more full when the wins come along (and they will). Until that time, please, some of you folks, just stop with the griping, and enjoy what we have! And be excited for the future. Lets continue to support our team the best we can.

Go Orange!

Has been right on as to expectations. The schedule was difficult and the coaches and players had quite a challenge. I for one have been pleased with the level of effort the kids have shown. Our staff is young and one cant even begin to judge any staff after one season.

As long as the kids are good citizens off the field, give good effort on the field, I will support them and be excited for every game they play, no matter the amount of wins or losses in a season. Since starting my fandom in the mid 70's, I have felt this way for me for decades.

Things most important:

1. Good citizens off the field. I would much rather be proud of a program that turns out good citizens over a program that emphasizes only wins. No, I'm not saying that SU has never had their share of issues with players. However, I am saying that compared to some, I think we have done a very good job of keeping thing in perspective. I have to give the Yankee speech here: If the Yankees win the World Series, and fan of theirs is boasting, I have to simply give them the Shania Twain line, "it don't impress me much". Just buy the players you want and load up. Well, if some schools emphasis wins over ethics (and we know the ones with the reputation), and they succeed on the field, who cares. "It don't impress me much"

2. Dignified head coach who earns respect. Mac - Yes!, Coach P - Yes!, HCDM - Yes!, Scott Shafer - I hope so... Had a little rough start this season in learning to control him emotions :)

3. Effort by the players. Seems like we have been very fortunate here, for the most part. It make supporting the team easy.

4. Exciting schedule. I understand the debate. Me personally however, I prefer to the good teams. I think the players do as well. While there certainty needs to be balance, I would dread a Rutgers like schedule. This is something that Syracuse has historically done well, not shying away from the big dogs. It has resulted in many good moments through the years, just adding to our rich tradition.

5. wins and losses

Fans:

Yes, the program appears to have about 25K me's who attend games. I would say this is pretty much what all NE schools have (barring Penn St). Also, attendance is down nation wide. I get sooo disappointed reading posts about how Syracuse fans are fair weather. The fact is plain and simple, they are not much different than most any other fan bases, especially when you compare apples to apples in terms of geography, size, etc. I could make the argument that they are actually better than many other "apples".

I traveled to the NC St. game, and wow, our home games seem like we're Clemson compared to their fan support. I heard the Maryland game was similar.

As was the case in the 80's and early 90's, the dome will be much more full when the wins come along (and they will). Until that time, please, some of you folks, just stop with the griping, and enjoy what we have! And be excited for the future. Lets continue to support our team the best we can.

Go Orange!

While I share many of your sentiments, part of being a fan is simply being emotionally involved with the games and griping is just part of the deal. Forums like this exist for fans to expresses their pleasure/displeasure, praise/criticism, hopes/fears and most of all expectations. This would be a pretty boring forum if we all agreed.

So long as posts are not personal attacks, over-the-top disrespectful or call out a player in an unacceptable manner, pretty much anything goes. Saying a player is slow or has bad hands is fair calling him stupid is not. Coaches get paid a great deal and are much more fair game but they all have families that read these sites and we need to be mindful of that simple fact.

Fortunately, the adults on this forum do a pretty good job of not suffering idiots or outrageous juveniles. At the end of the day, the old saying is very true, "Loyalty is the difference between being a fan or just a spectator."

Go "apples!"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom