This "the game was over" silliness | Syracusefan.com

This "the game was over" silliness

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
Needs to stop. I have no problem with the support of JB and his end game antics, however, using the statement "it was over" as soon as the charge was called is beyond ridiculous. Based on what was the game over? Momentum? The refs? Duke knocking down free throws? Stop it. Go ahead and support JB for lighting a fire and defending the team, that's fine, but drop the weak sauce "it was over" garbage. I guess we should not have bothered inbounding with 4 seconds against Pitt, should have just left the floor against BC down 3... just silliness from some highly respected posters on this one.

Game was definitely not over. We absolutely still had a decent chance of winning. That being said, if we handle our business here on out, this outcome may have been more beneficial in the long run than an actual win. I love what JB did.

Especially since Duke was 7-17 from the FT line at that time. They were 6 out of 8 to finish 13-25 after that, but those had way less pressure on them.

Get a clue about win expectancy before getting on your high horse.
Hint: It's a lot greater down 1 with the ball, even with 6 fewer seconds left.

46389654.jpg

For the record our win expectancy was 5.5% after the call and before the meltdown. It fell to 0.03% after the double tech was called. According to ken Pom.

Lets not act like it was a 50-50 chance of winning the game.

longislandcuse said:
Game was definitely not over. We absolutely still had a decent chance of winning. That being said, if we handle our business here on out, this outcome may have been more beneficial in the long run than an actual win. I love what JB did.

We didn't have a decent chance. Down 2 with 10 seconds left with the other team having the ball and next foul is 2 shots not 1 and 1 is highly improbable we win that game. You play that scenario out 100 times and the team up 2 with the ball probably wins 95 times.

People comparing it to the Pitt situation are wrong, down 1 with the ball with 4.4 seconds left is MUCH better odds of winning than down 2 without the ball.

Needs to stop. I have no problem with the support of JB and his end game antics, however, using the statement "it was over" as soon as the charge was called is beyond ridiculous. Based on what was the game over? Momentum? The refs? Duke knocking down free throws? Stop it. Go ahead and support JB for lighting a fire and defending the team, that's fine, but drop the weak sauce "it was over" garbage. I guess we should not have bothered inbounding with 4 seconds against Pitt, should have just left the floor against BC down 3... just silliness from some highly respected posters on this one.

You know what isn't silly? The prospect that we might have been up 1 if they'd called that a blocking foul instead of a charge. I like our chances to win a whole lot more up 1 with 10 seconds to go, in that scenario.

A ref made the opposite call of what they'd called earlier when an out of control Parker ran over Gbinije, who had better position than Hood did on CJ who slid past him and largely avoided contact. Worse, they made that call in a game deciding situation, in a manner that blatantly ignored the interpretation of the new rule. That's why Boeheim went nuts. It wasn't premeditated. It wasn't done thinking about pending technical free throws. He didn't do it to grandstand and make a point.

He did it because it was his honest, visceral reaction to seeing his team get screwed by a game altering call that robbed his team.

You play that scenario out 100 times and the team up 2 with the ball probably wins 95 times.
Amazingly, Jake just posted something suggesting that the mathematical chances are exactly 95%, so, nice estimate.

Jake said:
For the record our win expectancy was 5.5% after the call and before the meltdown. It fell to 0.03% after the double tech was called. According to ken Pom. Lets not act like it was a 50-50 chance of winning the game.

5.5%? BC had less than a two percent chance to beat us before the game started.

What was our expectancy during nc state? Pitt?

5.5 is enough for me to give it a shot.

JDubbin said:

Its called fighting for a call you believe in and sometimes you need to lose the fight to possibly win the war.

5.5% assuming unbiased officiating. How do you watch that game with those calls and think Syracuse actually had a chance?

The refs would probably not call an intentional foul after the inbound and let Duke run out the 10 seconds if they had to.

Jake said:
For the record our win expectancy was 5.5% after the call and before the meltdown. It fell to 0.03% after the double tech was called. According to ken Pom. Lets not act like it was a 50-50 chance of winning the game.

5.5% isn't bad. I would have guessed 10% as bad as Duke was shooting FT's. But I also don't know how KPom can put a % on that.

For the record our win expectancy was 5.5% after the call and before the meltdown. It fell to 0.03% after the double tech was called. According to ken Pom.

So what KenPom is saying is that our chances of winning were 183x better if JB had stayed on the sidelines as opposed to heading on to the court. I understand JB's frustration. It was a bad call at a critical juncture. But we still had a chance. Duke was 13-25 from the FT line last night and they were 10-21 before the pressure free technical FTs. There was at least a 50/50 shot that we were going to have a possession that would give us the chance to send the game to OT. Just like Sulaimon did three weeks ago with less time on the clock.

5.5% isn't bad. I would have guessed 10% as bad as Duke was shooting FT's. But I also don't know how KPom can put a % on that.

Also KenPom is talking about winning the game. Our chances of taking it to OT were definitely higher than 5.5%.

Jake, I haven't seen a single post by anyone that implied we had a 50/50 chance of winning the game.

Also KenPom is talking about winning the game. Our chances of taking it to OT were definitely higher than 5.5%.
I don't like SU's chances in OT with our foul trouble.

And--Kenpom's 5.5% chance would have factored in the OT possibility.

the game was over because best case at that point is we hit a desperation 3 to force ot where our foul trouble on front line would of killed us like it did duke in 1st meeting except duke has a bunch of 3 point shooters and 1 have 1

Its called fighting for a call you believe in and sometimes you need to lose the fight to possibly win the war.

Marsh, one of the reasons I like you so much as a poster is that you're always confident and optimistic, which is why of all posters, I thought you'd be the absolute last to say that the game was over down 2 with 10 seconds left.

the game was over because best case at that point is we hit a desperation 3 to force ot where our foul trouble on front line would of killed us like it did duke in 1st meeting except duke has a bunch of 3 point shooters and 1 have 1

Or, another option is, we could just see what happens and have faith in our guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom