This "the game was over" silliness | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This "the game was over" silliness

bpo57 said:
I didn't catch that part about winning the regular season as I assumed the FSU, MD and GT games were also important. Given our penchant of playing down to the opposition I am not looking past any of those games. I think we can lose to UVA and still get a # 1 seed but it might mean winning out through the ACC tournament.

The virginia game was the game we had to win. Duke will not catch us so they are the least of my worries

That's great but in any event was not really the main point here. The notion that the game was over when we were down 2 with :10 left is absurd particularly given the way we've pulled games out of the fire this year.

I don't disagree with that; I wasn't the one who brought up how an OT loss would be better than a regulation loss.

Just last Monday Ok State forced OT down 3 with like 5 seconds left with Baylor inbounding the ball. I don't know if the 5.5% chance of winning KP had was close or not; it seems like it's in the right ballpark.

The virginia game was the game we had to win. Duke will not catch us so they are the least of my worries

Virginia game has been the one I've circled for a while now. Just hope we take care of business on Monday. But if we won last night and lost to UVA, we're probably not winning the league.

Knicks411 said:
Virginia game has been the one I've circled for a while now. Just hope we take care of business on Monday. But if we won last night and lost to UVA, we're probably not winning the league.

Absolutely. Which is why last night was style points only

The only place where I kinda disagree (i think) is we can get a 1 without winning the league. If we had won last night, I figure even if we lose to UVA and give them the league, if they finish even at 15-3 (say they trip up at FSU or Maryland) then a 1 is probably still a strong possibility, especially with 2 wins over Duke. Now if they lose to UVA, they might need to win the other 3 regular season games (very possible, of course).

Winning the league does keep us away from UVA/Duke until the finals of the ACC tournament, which could also be nice.

Man, that BC game. If we just win that one, still sitting so pretty for a 1. Though we probably are anyway. I've said this before, we might catch a nice break with the geographical distribution of the 1 seeds, where even if we ended as the fourth #1 we could be placed into MSG.

Knicks411 said:
The only place where I kinda disagree (i think) is we can get a 1 without winning the league. If we had won last night, I figure even if we lose to UVA and give them the league, if they finish even at 15-3 (say they trip up at FSU or Maryland) then a 1 is probably still a strong possibility, especially with 2 wins over Duke. Now if they lose to UVA, they might need to win the other 3 regular season games (very possible, of course). Winning the league does keep us away from UVA/Duke until the finals of the ACC tournament, which could also be nice. Man, that BC game. If we just win that one, still sitting so pretty for a 1. Though we probably are anyway. I've said this before, we might catch a nice break with the geographical distribution of the 1 seeds, where even if we ended as the fourth #1 we could be placed into MSG.

I can buy that

For winning the ACC regular season, the UVA game is more important. For getting MSG, last night was more important.

For winning the ACC regular season, the UVA game is more important. For getting MSG, last night was more important.

Not sure I totally agree. I can't really see a scenario where we win the ACC regular season and don't get MSG. Duke losing to UNC on thursday helped with his

I don't care that much about winning the ACC title other than that it can move us closer to getting a #1 seed in the east. But that can still be done even if we don't win the ACC.

Two wins over Duke would have been huge. It's the total package that counts. Winning the ACC is a part of that package but it isn't the whole deal. OOC is big plus you have an unbalanced ACC schedule which skews things as well.

I don't care that much about winning the ACC title other than that it can move us closer to getting a #1 seed in the east. But that can still be done even if we don't win the ACC.

Statistically, about a 1% chance (1 in 116) unless we were to win the ACC Tourney.

The only place where I kinda disagree (i think) is we can get a 1 without winning the league. If we had won last night, I figure even if we lose to UVA and give them the league, if they finish even at 15-3 (say they trip up at FSU or Maryland) then a 1 is probably still a strong possibility, especially with 2 wins over Duke. Now if they lose to UVA, they might need to win the other 3 regular season games (very possible, of course).

Winning the league does keep isus away from UVA/Duke until the finals of the ACC tournament, which could also be nice.

Man, that BC game. If we just win that one, still sitting so pretty for a 1. Though we probably are anyway. I've said this before, we might catch a nice break with the geographical distribution of the 1 seeds, where even if we ended as the fourth #1 we could be placed into MSG.

Don't discount UNC as the 3 seed and Duke as the 4.

Posters here are saying it wouldn't matter if we went to OT cuz SU would have lost (Gotta love that optimism btw). My point is an OT loss at Duke looks better than a regulation loss by 6 at Duke for NCAA seeding purposes. Not sure how you could debate that. Is it a major difference? No far from it but it's a difference and every little bit counts.

margin of victory or loss are not a major factor when doing seeding unless it was a blowout 1 way or another the result will have little effect

Everything seeing these are games we should win. I said before the virginia game was the season and it didnt matter if we won or lost at duke.

I understand the importance of the Virginia game, but if we were to lose to Maryland, would the Duke game be of importance then? I think they are all important. Also, when the committee meets for seedlings, do they not count the second Duke game because Marsh01 says it wasn't important? I understand you watch the most basketball games on this board, but I think to say the game meant nothing is silly.

That being said, I am not stating it was so or die. It was a loss and could mean for a different seed.

I'm thinking 1-4 in acc tournament will end up:

Virginia
Syracuse
Duke(beating unc last game of season to secure 3 seed)
North Carolina

I understand the importance of the Virginia game, but if we were to lose to Maryland, would the Duke game be of importance then? I think they are all important. Also, when the committee meets for seedlings, do they not count the second Duke game because Marsh01 says it wasn't important? I understand you watch the most basketball games on this board, but I think to say the game meant nothing is silly.

That being said, I am not stating it was so or die. It was a loss and could mean for a different seed.

They don't meet for seedings, they vote on blocks of teams and top vote getters in any given vote are seeded higher. The game meant very little to our post season fate. We win the games we are supposed to win the rest of the way we are a 1 seed in msg

They don't meet for seedings, they vote on blocks of teams and top vote getters in any given vote are seeded higher. The game meant very little to our post season fate. We win the games we are supposed to win the rest of the way we are a 1 seed in msg

Collectively, this game meant something, just like the others mean something. I do understand the seeding process. Would the players and JB say it was meaningless? Do the people on this board who are extremely upset understand it was a meaningless game? Scrimmages are meaningless.

Collectively, this game meant something, just like the others mean something. I do understand the seeding process. Would the players and JB say it was meaningless? Scrimmages are meaningless.

collectively yes it meant something but on its own it means very little whether we won or lost by 6

Statistically, about a 1% chance (1 in 116) unless we were to win the ACC Tourney.

So if we lose to UVA and then to somebody in the ACC finals and go 30-4 we have a 1 in 116 shot of being a #1 seed? LOL that's crazy. And let's just say we beat Duke last night but lost to UVA and MD and therefore finished second in the ACC. We'd still be shut out of a #1 seed unless we won the ACC tourney? You haven't looked around and noticed that the other top teams have blemishes as well. If we go 30-4 we've got a helluva lot better shot than 1-116 to get a 1 seed.

But if we had won last night that would have meant we could have afforded another loss somewhere else. So yeah it did have some impact on our postseason fate.

And by having JB 'lose' it for the Orange, it doesn't factor in at all.

Throw it out.

Genius.

From where I sit, there is really no room left for error. If we want a one seed in the east we either win out and at least tie for the ACC regulator season title or we go further than Duke in the ACC tourney. The committee and the media will be skeptical otherwise. Four losses will not get us MSG.

KaiserUEO said:
And by having JB 'lose' it for the Orange, it doesn't factor in at all. Throw it out. Genius.

Tell that to the selection committee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom