This "the game was over" silliness | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This "the game was over" silliness

eao1115 said:
Marsh, one of the reasons I like you so much as a poster is that you're always confident and optimistic, which is why of all posters, I thought you'd be the absolute last to say that the game was over down 2 with 10 seconds left.

Never did i say the game was over. Jb knows that this game meant zero and was totally gravy. Had this been a MUST win game there is no way he does that.

Look he probably did overreact. I am more upset that our guards went 3-19 than am at jb getting kicked out. He lit a fuse and i am hoping it ignites tomorrow night

Marsh01 said:
Never did i say the game was over. Jb knows that this game meant zero and was totally gravy. Had this been a MUST win game there is no way he does that. Look he probably did overreact. I am more upset that our guards went 3-19 than am at jb getting kicked out. He lit a fuse and i am hoping it ignites tomorrow night

1 step closer to locking up MSG. A big step.

Never did i say the game was over. Jb knows that this game meant zero and was totally gravy. Had this been a MUST win game there is no way he does that.

My main man Marsh at 10:22 pm: "Dude the game was over. I would have danielsoned this ref. watch the silent g non charge call and tell me that was fair? We were never going to get any calls tonight. I looooooove jb for going to bat for this team. Love him"

http://syracusefan.com/threads/i-for-one-am-infuriated-with-boeheim-tonight.70006/page-2

I don't like SU's chances in OT with our foul trouble.

And--Kenpom's 5.5% chance would have factored in the OT possibility.

but there was this: "We absolutely still had a decent chance of winning."

If this happened to Pitt or Uconn, this board would be laughing and blasting their coach. I'm not suggesting to blast Coach Boeheim, but to see how hypocritical some here are.

The bottom line is that we did have a chance. I remember not long ago, I was standing in my living room questioning how we could lose to NC State. They were up and had the ball. Suddenly the unthinkable happened and we won. I never thought I would hear people saying the game was over, giving how bad Duke was shooting free throws.

Look he probably did overreact. I am more upset that our guards went 3-19 than am at jb getting kicked out. He lit a fuse and i am hoping it ignites tomorrow night

If this game meant zero, what do the next two games mean?

JB quit on the game with 10.9 seconds remaining. If any of the players had done that, this Board would have been apoplectic. The fact that he responded in a way that lots of the fans were feeling, has somehow lead his behavior to be justified here. To me, his behavior was inexcusable. I hope he apologized to his team, who played hard and composed even after he was ejected.

The coaches job is to put his team in the best position to win the game. Boeheim did the opposite.

jvbj01 said:
If this game meant zero, what do the next two games mean?

Everything seeing these are games we should win. I said before the virginia game was the season and it didnt matter if we won or lost at duke.

I did not see the game live (prior engagement unfortunately but checked my phone lots of times during the game for the gamecast). Saw it later on DVR after accepting the fact SU lost. The controversial call actually was a little closer than I thought it would be given the hype I heard after it and JB's reaction, although definitely a block as Hood was leaning and moving.

Anyway, I completely see both sides of the fan sentiment here. JB sticking up for his players is commendable and it sends a message to them for rest of the season and tournament. You can argue either way how JB is perceived after blowing up on national TV. A touch of Bobby Knight or Huggy Bear-esque in the heat of the moment? Definitely an out of character move for better or worse. Probably better to show JB still has the passion and fire.

But I also agree with other posters that the game was not over, percentages or whatever aside. Ask yourself and reflect whether you'd be saying the same thing (the game was over) if this had been the NC game, the last game of the season. I'm OK with JB doing this at this point of the season, and let's hope it does springboard the team, but this team has shown us that they never die til the final horn.

I did not see the game live (prior engagement unfortunately but checked my phone lots of times during the game for the gamecast). Saw it later on DVR after accepting the fact SU lost. The controversial call actually was a little closer than I thought it would be given the hype I heard after it and JB's reaction, although definitely a block as Hood was leaning and moving.
Boeheim didn't erupt over that call in isolation. He went off because of the timing and the way they called a block on an SU player earlier.

Anyway, I completely see both sides of the fan sentiment here. JB sticking up for his players is commendable and it sends a message to them for rest of the season and tournament. You can argue either way how JB is perceived after blowing up on national TV. A touch of Bobby Knight or Huggy Bear-esque in the heat of the moment? Definitely an out of character move for better or worse. Probably better to show JB still has the passion and fire.

But I also agree with other posters that the game was not over, percentages or whatever aside. Ask yourself and reflect whether you'd be saying the same thing (the game was over) if this had been the NC game, the last game of the season. I'm OK with JB doing this at this point of the season, and let's hope it does springboard the team, but this team has shown us that they never die til the final horn.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion on this issue. Mine is that Boeheim's actions will be completely forgotten about in a day or two and will have no literally no tangible effect on anything going forward.

Fran McCaffery had a meltdown earlier in the year - it was fun to talk about for a few days, and then like everything else is disappears.

If this happened to Pitt or Uconn, this board would be laughing and blasting their coach. I'm not suggesting to blast Coach Boeheim, but to see how hypocritical some here are.

The bottom line is that we did have a chance. I remember not long ago, I was standing in my living room questioning how we could lose to NC State. They were up and had the ball. Suddenly the unthinkable happened and we won. I never thought I would hear people saying the game was over, giving how bad Duke was shooting free throws.
I think the majority are saying they were comfortable with what JB did. Not that we did not have a chance. I think this will be good for the team in the long run. It serves notice that we are not taking home job calls like sheep (leading to hopefully better officiating), and that if we don't want 1 call to effect the outcome, put more distance on the scoreboard early.

I don't like SU's chances in OT with our foul trouble.

And--Kenpom's 5.5% chance would have factored in the OT possibility.

Not what I said. Yeah part of the 5.5% chance included SU winning in OT. But the chances were greater than 5.5% that we take it to OT. I know its a different shade of gray but an OT loss looks better than a six point regulation loss (for NCAA seeding purposes). This argument is silly though because a small chance is always better than no chance. That's not really debatable.

Boeheim didn't erupt over that call in isolation. He went off because of the timing and the way they called a block on an SU player earlier.

Agree 100%. The (over) reaction wasn't just about that last call. The volcanic eruption was about several earlier calls; the call against CJ was just the tipping point.

But like many in this thread, I don't have a problem with what JB did, considering that the call in question ignored the modified rules that had been changed in the offseason to prevent calls like the one that was made from happening.

Everything seeing these are games we should win. I said before the virginia game was the season and it didnt matter if we won or lost at duke.

This logic eludes me. We would all agree that SU's primary goal is to put ourselves in the best possible position in terms of NCAA seeding. Doesn't a Duke victory go a decent way toward achieving that goal?

I know its a different shade of gray but an OT loss looks better than a six point regulation loss (for NCAA seeding purposes).

What are you basing this on?

What are you basing this on?

Posters here are saying it wouldn't matter if we went to OT cuz SU would have lost (Gotta love that optimism btw). My point is an OT loss at Duke looks better than a regulation loss by 6 at Duke for NCAA seeding purposes. Not sure how you could debate that. Is it a major difference? No far from it but it's a difference and every little bit counts.

bpo57 said:
This logic eludes me. We would all agree that SU's primary goal is to put ourselves in the best possible position in terms of NCAA seeding. Doesn't a Duke victory go a decent way toward achieving that goal?

It was gravy if we won. We have done more than enough assuming we win the regular season to get a 1 seed. Last night was not a must win

Not sure how you could debate that. Is it a major difference? No far from it but it's a difference and every little bit counts.

Really? You can debate it pretty easily. There's no documented instances of an OT loss changing seeding. OT loss doesn't affect the RPI. There's no where in any criteria that states an OT loss is better. So back at you with...not sure what you are basing this on.

It was gravy if we won. We have done more than enough assuming we win the regular season to get a 1 seed. Last night was not a must win

I didn't catch that part about winning the regular season as I assumed the FSU, MD and GT games were also important. Given our penchant of playing down to the opposition I am not looking past any of those games. I think we can lose to UVA and still get a # 1 seed but it might mean winning out through the ACC tournament.

Really? You can debate it pretty easily. There's no documented instances of an OT loss changing seeding. OT loss doesn't affect the RPI. There's no where in any criteria that states an OT loss is better. So back at you with...not sure what you are basing this on.

So margin of victory or loss does not matter for RPI?

So margin of victory or loss does not matter for RPI?

No it doesn't

RPI = a team's winning percentage (25%), its opponents' winning percentage (50%), and the winning percentage of those opponents' opponents (25%).

margin of victory doesn't matter for RPI. Losing does, but we're talking about a loss either way.

I really doubt an OT loss is going to move the needle on our seeding compared to a loss in regulation.

margin of victory doesn't matter for RPI. Losing does, but we're talking about a loss either way.

I really doubt an OT loss is going to move the needle on our seeding compared to a loss in regulation.

That's great but in any event was not really the main point here. The notion that the game was over when we were down 2 with :10 left is absurd particularly given the way we've pulled games out of the fire this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom