This Tournament Really is an Indictment of our Strategy | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

This Tournament Really is an Indictment of our Strategy

Of course we would not be happy if SU lost early in the NCAA tournament every year... but we usually don't. And would you admit that any team that ranks #1 in both AdjO and AdjD would be significantly less likely to lose early and significantly more likely to win the whole enchilada?

I disagree with your opinion that we employ a "flawed strategy".

If UVA's failure to make multiple Final Four runs in the past 10 years is a great example that their "pack line defense" strategy is flawed... wouldn't our multiple Final Four runs in the past 7 years prove that our strategy is a good one? You can't have it both ways, dude.

Every team that can light it up from 3-pt range and make 15+ 3s in a game is a huge threat to EVERY OTHER TEAM. Not just to our team. Do we give up more 15+ 3-pt games than other top defenses do?

In recent years, we have performed fairly well against "the Michigans" (see last year's defeat of Michigan State in the tourney), "the UVA" (see our 2016 Elite 8 victory), "the va tech" (5-2 against the Hokies since joining the ACC), "the fsu" (4-3 against the Seminoles since joining the ACC).
youre saying if we were #1 in o and d...THEN we would be more likely...BUT we're not. not close and won't be...UNLESS the perfect fits at every position happen to be on the roster at the same time...and they're not and don't seem likely to be anytime soon. that's the point.

the zine can work beuatifully...with the exact right players...but with bad fits...it gets SHREDDED by any decent team...

Baylor was 4/21 from 3 vs gonzaga...vs the zone they got 16 threes!! JB said they were so good and any other time they would play them they would still make at least 12. WRONG. well maybe against syracuse yes...but not against any other decent team. they arent even a good 3 point shooting team!!!! he's probably right though...if baylor played syracuse again they probably would make 12 3s...cuz the 2019 zone gets/got shredded with ease

they got their season-high in threes vs Syracuse. that's not an endorsement of the defensive scheme. it boggles my mind that you cannot recognize that baylors success had a lot to do with what syracuse was doing...they couldnt gaurd and rotate in their system d that they use every year...so why keep using it then?????????

I don't think any college bball team should have a system that they use every year regardless of personnel.

the players on 2019 syracuse did not fit the ZONE well.

they shouldve' been a pressing/man to man team.

I'm not arguing that the zone can never ever work.

It CAN work...IF you have the right players.

can't have midget gaurds. must have alert athletic big tall centers who can move around. must have big fast alert smart forwards who can cover the sideline threes and run back and grab boards. all players must have high bball IQ...if you have all of those ingredients...then youre cooking...if not...you are going nowhere.

if any are missing...you are going to get SHREDDED. like the team got by baylor, odu, uconn, oregon, va tech, fsu. duke, uva wilson frame braxton beverly etc etc...

my point is really about this 2019 team and the potential near-term squads that seem to be on the horizon...your point is about the overall program and yes it has worked in the past with the right mix of players...but if you don't have the right mix...the top teams and even the middling teams can light you up...even if they cant against other teams...doesnt make sense to me to use it.

in essence you are sacrificing the current season to have a trademark system...when the current players dont fit...you might as well not even play the season cuz it aint happening...

if what you want is some success a couple of years every decade then sure...go ahead and play the same scheme no matter what every year...even when your current squad doesnt fit the legacy system you use annually.

Last edited:
Even look at UNC blowing the doors off of Washington...i didnt watch the game but assume they used the 2-3 vs UNC.

9/21 from 3...hmmmmm...43% shooting from 3 for a team that has shot 36% for the year...hmmmm...

why am i not surprised that another team out-performed their 3pt% vs a 2-3 zone? i watched it all year....

Even look at UNC blowing the doors off of Washington...i didnt watch the game but assume they used the 2-3 vs UNC.

9/21 from 3...hmmmmm...43% shooting from 3 for a team that has shot 36% for the year...hmmmm...

why am i not surprised that another team out-performed their 3pt% vs a 2-3 zone? i watched it all year...

UNC averages 86 ppg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom