This year, next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This year, next year

In this day and age is that still possible? Kids are bailing left and right if they aren’t playing as much as they think, or sometimes even when they are. Being a developmental program is going to be harder than ever in this climate. What little old me would do is possibly sacrifice a little bit of talent and recruit kids with high character and put a focus on building a culture where kids don’t want to leave. I think what hurt this years team the most is there wasn’t that leader on offense. With a new kid leaving every week it kind of struck me that this team wasn’t bought all in for the betterment of the program, but more looking out for themselves. Just my opinion.
You need to keep sold and re-recruit the kids you want to keep every year. Kids that are just taking up space, not so much

In this day and age is that still possible? Kids are bailing left and right if they aren’t playing as much as they think, or sometimes even when they are. Being a developmental program is going to be harder than ever in this climate. What little old me would do is possibly sacrifice a little bit of talent and recruit kids with high character and put a focus on building a culture where kids don’t want to leave. I think what hurt this years team the most is there wasn’t that leader on offense. With a new kid leaving every week it kind of struck me that this team wasn’t bought all in for the betterment of the program, but more looking out for themselves. Just my opinion.

Entering the portal is the it thing right now. The second part of that equation (finding a new and better home) hasn’t happened for more than half of the kids. Not only that but the unknown after picking a new school if the grass was truly greener.

I think there will be an adjustment period, where everyone realizes it isn’t the savior they think it is.

Coaches will probably need to get comfortable expanding their rotations some.

Best way for a guy to know he can see the field is to let him get on the field some.

Coaches will probably need to get comfortable expanding their rotations some.

Best way for a guy to know he can see the field is to let him get on the field some.
Best way for guys to see the field is to prove it in practice. This is especially true for linemen. There is a reason why there are a number of known, and probably unknown, offers to portal OLs.

Best way for guys to see the field is to prove it in practice. This is especially true for linemen. There is a reason why there are a number of known, and probably unknown, offers to portal OLs.
OL is the hardest spot in football for a rotation because so much hinges on the unit gelling the right way.

OL is the hardest spot in football for a rotation because so much hinges on the unit gelling the right way.
Agreed. I'm speaking more about what happens when one (let alone more than one) goes down. More often than not guys had to shift positions to cover, so now that continuity is disrupted at multiple positions rather than just the one. That speaks to a lack of depth/development/talent available for the rotation.

You need to keep sold and re-recruit the kids you want to keep every year. Kids that are just taking up space, not so much
That's true and I'd like to think that's what we did this year, but it wasn't.

There is no deal, he will be a rs soph , which is when you should expect ol to start stepping up. people writing off underclassmen with no basis is annoying. I know you‘re not, but it‘s something that is said constantly here.

SU should be a program that features 3rd, 4th, 5th yr guys with a handful of game ready freshmen. But a constant theme here is if guys dont perform at a high level early, pound the portal.
The reality is the staff has not produced depth. So production IS needed in year two.

The culture you speak of is very much “come here, trust the process, and we’ll win by getting the best out of you”

That can be undercut by bringing in too many guys.

I think you can be both, but it’s not easy

Yeah, the NM St. transfer is the guy who will likely be given the first shot to be the backup.

Other two can split 3rd RB duties depending on situation.

I think 4 RB's is about right. Maybe 5, but the 5th would likely be a dual RB/WR threat, IMO.
4 is the minimum. At this point we should probably add one or look to move a current player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom