This years offense | Syracusefan.com

This years offense

GoSU96

Living Legend
This game would be a great model for this year.

(Don’t want to get into a debate on 2011 as a whole)

Run the pass game through the tight ends, power run game between the tackles. Heavy dose of play action.

Just need JRS, Haynes, and Pena to be ACC level Wr’s.

If James can contribute with his speed in the return game that would be great.

Last edited:
If they base out of two te one back, who is the second te, Villari or Mang. Mang was given 0 for his number and I believe won most improved in the spring.

Nixon is going to have some options on personnel packages and formations.

Bills and SU have similar set up, pair of skilled tight ends who are going to get a ton of targets, solid backs that can be used in the pass game as well, and a bunch of wr’s who should be productive, but no alpha.

Last edited:
Great choice of a team with so many parallels to this year's squad: a stacked OL, a drop-back QB with a good arm (Nassib), a nice pair of TE's in Whales and Provo, thunder (Smith) and Lightening (AB) in the backfield and a good possession receiver (Lemon). We'll see, but I can't help thinking that OG and Villari, LQA and WIllis, and Haynes, JR-S, Meeks and Pena are talent upgrades who will close out with a much better record.

[edit] Let’s hope this year’s DL is as good as 2011 (Jones, Bromley and Goggins).

Last edited:
Great choice of a team with so many parallels to this year's squad: a stacked OL, a drop-back QB with a good arm (Nassib), a nice pair of TE's in Whales and Provo, and thunder (Smith) and Lightening (AB) in the backfield and a good possession receiver (Lemon). We'll see, but I can't help thinking that OG and Villari, LQA and WIllis, and Haynes, JR-S, Meeks and Pena are talent upgrades who will close out with a much better record.
And the wild card that Fran mentioned, when asked about a Geogia player being a track star. I've got a guy on my team who runs a 10.1.

I wonder if we model stuff off the OSU offense like McCord says and the goal is like 65 plays a game like they had last year?

Last edited:
Whatever we can do comes back to the evolution of the OL.

I personally think it’s kind of awesome that 2 of our starting 5 could be HBCU kids - talk about guys that were overlooked, worked their asses off and have a major chip on their shoulders - I love that.

If they base out of two te one back, who is the second te, Villari or Mang. Mang was given 0 for his number and I believe won most improved in the spring.

Nixon is going to have some options on personnel packages and formations.

Bills and SU have similar set up, pair of skilled tight ends who are going to get a ton of targets, solid backs that can be used in the pass game as well, and a bunch of wr’s who should be productive, but no alpha.
Bills are going to be like a McNabb offense this year. Murder bad teams and have the QB perform miracles against everyone else. Id feel better if McCord could run. If we were just spreading it out all day, I wouldn't worry as much

Can we have 2011 WVU's outcome instead? I would sign up for 9-3 and an Orange bowl win (10-3) right now lol

Makes more sense to look to 2018/2019 Baylor though: " In the 2018 season, Baylor averaged 460 yards of total offense (including 290 yards passing per game), ranking in the Top 20, in the country, in both total offense and total passing. In the 2019 season, the Nixon led offense averaged 36 points per game (17th in the country) and helped guide Baylor to a Top 10 rank and a Sugar Bowl berth playing against the Georgia Bulldogs."

Bills are going to be like a McNabb offense this year. Murder bad teams and have the QB perform miracles against everyone else. Id feel better if McCord could run. If we were just spreading it out all day, I wouldn't worry as much

I feel like we are going to have some pretty good receivers this year, Milly. McNabb as a pro didn't have as many options as he had at SU, where it seemed like we had 3 game breakers at WR every season.

I feel like we are going to have some pretty good receivers this year, Milly. McNabb as a pro didn't have as many options as he had at SU, where it seemed like we had 3 game breakers at WR every season.
I also feel like we’ll have our best OL in years this year. We haven’t had this high a quality 2 deep in a long time.

A few guys were not yet there at the Spring Game, right?
I thought they did ok, but not great, especially in the run game.

A few guys were not yet there at the Spring Game, right?
I thought they did ok, but not great, especially in the run game.
I doubt they were going to show the world their offense plus som weren't even here yet.

Here is my two cents on the O based on position groups.

QB huge upgrade. No shade at Shrader but he was hurt the entire year and couldn't throw from about the third game of the season.

RB. LQ is back bigger stronger and will be better. Willis is going to make the frosh All American team he is that good, Add in Hart and Nixon and again a huge upgrade.

WR. Its not even close. The talent level this year is best since P days. Maybe better. Im a big fan of JS from Colorado State. Think he is going to be a stud and Pena looked great in the spring game.

TE. OG enough said. Mang according to the interview is the most improved player on O and Dan is a weapon that will have learned how to be a tight end.

OL. If the guys are healthy this is our best line in years. solid two deep with size.

Bottom line is Nixon has a ton of weapons at his disposal. He is a seasoned OC with both college and Pro experience. I think we are going to light teams up.

QB huge upgrade. No shade at Shrader but he was hurt the entire year and couldn't throw from about the third game of the season.

RB. LQ is back bigger stronger and will be better. Willis is going to make the frosh All American team he is that good, Add in Hart and Nixon and again a huge upgrade.

WR. Its not even close. The talent level this year is best since P days. Maybe better. Im a big fan of JS from Colorado State. Think he is going to be a stud and Pena looked great in the spring game.

TE. OG enough said. Mang according to the interview is the most improved player on O and Dan is a weapon that will have learned how to be a tight end.

OL. If the guys are healthy this is our best line in years. solid two deep with size.

Bottom line is Nixon has a ton of weapons at his disposal. He is a seasoned OC with both college and Pro experience. I think we are going to light teams up.
Bullseye...your 2 cents are worth at least a nickel!! :)

WR is a big question mark for me. JRS and Hatcher are the only guys with significant experience. JRS has two seasons as the 2/3 guy at CSU and Hatcher was 2nd at SU last season.

Meeks hardly was targeted in 4 seasons, Haynes no real game experience, Pena was the 5th receiver 2yrs ago.

It’s almost all potential.

Its why I think you run the pass game through the TEs, and even they only have 1yr each of being contributors.

The thing that makes me most optimistic about this year‘s offense and team, is the type of player we brought in. The players that we brought in, at leadership positions, that come from programs with a championship pedigree. Ohio State, Georgia, Texas A&M, all schools where the expectation is a championship. And the coaches are of that same ilk.

When you bring in players of that pedigree to lead your team, that mentality flows through. We’re setting a precedent for the future of the program to attack every day with that mindset.

And to be honest, it’s been lacking from our team for a very long time.

I think that’s what excites me most because we have a higher chance of hitting our potential with guys who have been there, done that and most importantly expect to perform that way.

The thing that makes me most optimistic about this year‘s offense and team, is the type of player we brought in. The players that we brought in, at leadership positions, that come from programs with a championship pedigree. Ohio State, Georgia, Texas A&M, all schools where the expectation is a championship. And the coaches are of that same ilk.

When you bring in players of that pedigree to lead your team, that mentality flows through. We’re setting a precedent for the future of the program to attack every day with that mindset.

And to be honest, it’s been lacking from our team for a very long time.

I think that’s what excites me most because we have a higher chance of hitting our potential with guys who have been there, done that and most importantly expect to perform that way.
With players like Diggs, Wax Barron
on defense, McCord, and OG, Villari on offense you screw up and cost us a score
you will hear about it.
The players will keep everyone in line on the same page.

I think LT is the biggest question mark going into camp. Need a plus performer here that can beat out Cruz.

Defense… can the DTs stop the run? Spring game didn’t tell us anything.

WR is a big question mark for me. JRS and Hatcher are the only guys with significant experience. JRS has two seasons as the 2/3 guy at CSU and Hatcher was 2nd at SU last season.

Meeks hardly was targeted in 4 seasons, Haynes no real game experience, Pena was the 5th receiver 2yrs ago.

It’s almost all potential.

Its why I think you run the pass game through the TEs, and even they only have 1yr each of being contributors.
Im not sure on Meeks either. I think Pena will contribute if healthy. I dont think Haynes lack of playing experience is gonna hurt him too much. He is ready to explode after playing behind some upperclassmen at GA. OG will be moved in the slot at times and he still has to show that he can block from in line. I like Villari's potential but he had to play wildcat a large portion of the season. Still has to prove himself at the TE position.

I think LT is the biggest question mark going into camp. Need a plus performer here that can beat out Cruz.

Defense… can the DTs stop the run? Spring game didn’t tell us anything.
I agree with this. I think our O is going to be pretty darn good but Tackle is my biggest concern. But it could be better than i've been expecting. I remember Cruz getting beat bad in the spring game at LT by King Joseph Edwards and that swayed my thinking on him a bit. But thinking back on that play that may have been Joe Cruz and not Enrique Cruz. It was either CDRW or Davis in at QB so it certainly could have been Joe. Also they are saying Enrique didn't give up any sacks in 2023 so he has to be better than i'm giving him credit for. That stat is obviously helped by the fact we didn't pass the ball for big chunk of the season. I know he got beat a few times but Shrader must have been able to avoid the sack. He was just a Sophomore eligibility wise so he should get better, especially going up against Diggs all spring and fall camp. Plus Washington, who is a mountain of a man, coming in should be a big help as a pass protector on the line. He was Coloroado's best pass blocker but then got injured and then later returned and played the rest of the season injured. I expect him to slot right in at RT. Then we have Spoon and even Petry started 11 games at RT last year and he's gotten even bigger. Maybe Wohlabaugh can be ready later in the season if needed and he was supposed to be our staring RT last season until the injury. I have no concerns about our run blocking. looked pretty solid last year and looked great in the spring game. Having a healthy legitigimate passer and good receivers is going to help a lot in regards to blocking for the run game this season. So excited to see OG play again, especially when he is not the only big threat.

On defense the starting 6 didn't look great against the first team offense and particularly looked very bad in the run giving up many big plays. Have to think that is mostly DT problems, hopefully they sort that out as we have a lot of options there now.

Last edited:
Im not sure on Meeks either. I think Pena will contribute if healthy. I dont think Haynes lack of playing experience is gonna hurt him too much. He is ready to explode after playing behind some upperclassmen at GA. OG will be moved in the slot at times and he still has to show that he can block from in line. I like Villari's potential but he had to play wildcat a large portion of the season. Still has to prove himself at the TE position.

Agreed. Meeks will be solid but not spectacular. Earlier in the spring before his injury McCord was saying he was a dog so that counts for something. But I don't expect him to play over JRS who I think will be pretty good. They may split some time though. Haynes will be a very good option, he has some deep speed which will be great to spread the defense. And his ability to get separation will be a nice change from what we've had in the past. When teams want to focus on OG, that should open things up on the outside for him. OG, Pena, Vilari and Laquint is a lot for other teams to worry about in the middle. Then we can bring in back-ups like a more seasoned Gill and Hatcher. And if injuries occur, we have a stable of very talented frosh who should be more ready to go than any other WR's we've brought in recently.

Vilari is great with the ball in his hands. He just needs to prove he can run routes. He didn't have a QB to throw to him last year to know what to expect from him but I think he will prove to be fairly solid in that respect.

keep in mind last season we essentially lost maybe our 3 main receiving options. We lost OG almost the entire season. Pena our starting slot guy really didn't play at all due to injury. And our best WR in Isaiah Jones was out after the first two games after he posted games of 3 rec for 71 yds and 2 TD's and 5 rec for 86 yds. Alford's first two games were 3 rec for 21 yds and 1 TD and 1 rec for 15 yds. That should tell you something.

Yeah that is an interesting thought regarding OG. Does he want to play some more snaps in line so he can work on blocking and improve that area of his game for the NFL? He did add a bit more weight and is now at 236 lbs. Still slightly undersized for a hybrid TE in the NFL but much closer to what he needs to be at.

I agree with this. I think our O is going to be pretty darn good but Tackle is my biggest concern. But it could be better than i've been expecting. I remember Cruz getting beat bad in the spring game at LT by King Joseph Edwards and that swayed my thinking on him a bit. But thinking back on that play that may have been Joe Cruz and not Enrique Cruz. It was either CDRW or Davis in at QB so it certainly could have been Joe. Also they are saying Enrique didn't give up any sacks in 2023 so he has to be better than i'm giving him credit for. That stat is obviously helped by the fact we didn't pass the ball for big chunk of the season. I know he got beat a few times but Shrader must have been able to avoid the sack. He was just a Sophomore eligibility wise so he should get better, especially going up against Diggs all spring and fall camp. Plus Washington, who is a mountain of a man, coming in should be a big help as a pass protector on the line. He was Coloroado's best pass blocker but then got injured and then later returned and played the rest of the season injured. I expect him to slot right in at RT. Then we have Spoon and even Petry started 11 games at RT last year and he's gotten even bigger. Maybe Wohlabaugh can be ready later in the season if needed and he was supposed to be our staring RT last season until the injury. I have no concerns about our run blocking. looked pretty solid last year and looked great in the spring game. Having a healthy legitigimate passer and good receivers is going to help a lot in regards to blocking for the run game this season. So excited to see OG play again, especially when he is not the only big threat.

On defense the starting 6 didn't look great against the first team offense and particularly looked very bad in the run giving up many big plays. Have to think that is mostly DT problems, hopefully they sort that out as we have a lot of options there now.
The dline was not going full speed. Saw it clearly multiple x. We will be tough there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom