Class of 2014 - Thomas Holley | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Thomas Holley

That game means a lot for the program. Lions have put a spanking on us off late, we have a new coach, new QB, new WR core but a lot of heart. I don't think a lot of us know how this team will perform. Its almost like watching an expansion club in the NFL play for the first time after just a few months of being together. One thing for sure, after the first two games, we'll know a lot about where we are this year. Boy, if we can somehow win the first two, what an interesting season we have in store for us.

They spanked us in 2008 but last time we played in 2009 they only beat our 4-8 SU team 28-7 in a game which featured Mike Williams dropping a wide open TD. Since then we've moved up a lot and they've taken a step back. I'm not viewing this as "we can win" i'm viewing it as "we should win". We'll see what comes of it.

They spanked us in 2008 but last time we played in 2009 they only beat our 4-8 SU team 28-7 in a game which featured Mike Williams dropping a wide open TD. Since then we've moved up a lot and they've taken a step back. I'm not viewing this as "we can win" i'm viewing it as "we should win". We'll see what comes of it.

I don't know about "should win" ... They have out recruited us for years, have won more games in a tougher league, etc. I do agree that the gap should be very much closed and that their young QB vs our D makes it a toss up game.

All in. I'm over moral victories at this point.

A moral victory was 28-7 last time we met Penn St, or maybe last season against USC. I am with you, I am done with moral victories. It's time to win now

A moral victory was 28-7 last time we met Penn St, or maybe last season against USC. I am with you, I am done with moral victories. It's time to win now

I was thinking about this in regards to HCSS restarting practice this AM. We started slowly in way too many games last year and, while 8-5 was a nice season last year, did we actually under acheive?

It was refreshing to hear him say that he didn't pay attention to all the glitz and glam, and just focused on the coaches, the players, and our history. I did find it interesting nothing was mentioned about the academic side? I know he wanted to major in Criminal Justice, and Syracuse doesn't offer that as a major, so that possibly could be a reason, or maybe they are holding that back so they have something up their sleeve for when Mom visits? Holley is always extremely level headed when doing post visit interviews so I was very surprised at just how open he was about enjoying himself, but like I said not hearing about the academic side was interesting.
We have been hurt in recruiting from time to time - especially against Penn State - because we do not offer a Criminal Justice program.

Oh, the terrible, disgusting irony.

I was thinking about this in regards to HCSS restarting practice this AM. We started slowly in way too many games last year and, while 8-5 was a nice season last year, did we actually under acheive?

I know we should be happy with an 8-5 record last season, but I always felt we left a few games on the table. Northwestern, Cincinatti, and even Rutgers to a point stand out. Northwestern and Cincinatti should have been W's if not for some extreme mental mistakes. Just think if we finished 10-3 with a BCS appearance.

I know we should be happy with an 8-5 record last season, but I always felt we left a few games on the table. Northwestern, Cincinatti, and even Rutgers to a point stand out. Northwestern and Cincinatti should have been W's if not for some extreme mental mistakes. Just think if we finished 10-3 with a BCS appearance.
Didn't Jerome let a dropped lateral sit on the rug, which a NW player returned for a TD? Margin of victory.

Didn't Pugh slip on a FG attempt vs. Rutgers, with the resulting block returned for a TD? Margin of victory.

I didn't see the Cincy game so I can't comment. U$C was an honest loss, and I will concede Minny as the single worst-case stinker scenario for the year. So last year should have been a 10-3 year IMO. Right up there with the 2001 Freeney team.

Didn't Jerome let a dropped lateral sit on the rug, which a NW player returned for a TD? Margin of victory.

Didn't Pugh slip on a FG attempt vs. Rutgers, with the resulting block returned for a TD? Margin of victory.

I didn't see the Cincy game so I can't comment. U$C was an honest loss, and I will concede Minny as the single worst-case stinker scenario for the year. So last year should have been a 10-3 year IMO. Right up there with the 2001 Freeney team.

We out gained NW 596-337. NW scored on the play you mentioned above, and 2 Mack punt returns because DM decided to keep kicking to him.

Cincinatti we out gained by 7 yards, and Brandon Reddish dropped the easiest pick 6 he will ever see that would have put us up 11 in the 3rd quarter I believe, in a game that was littered with horrendous calls, including a Cincinatti fumble out of the end zone they counted as a TD

Rutgers we out gained 428 to 237. Gers blocked a FG for a TD return and Raus missed another FG attempt. I believe that was also the game we fumbled the opening kick off, unless that was Cincinatti.

Sure you can say we only beat USF and Pitt by 1 point each, but at least we out gained both of them as well.

I'll add the NW hit out off (5 yards in) bounds call and in the Cincy game their QB fumbled into the endzone then out of bounds. Should've been a touchback but instead refs gave it back to Cincy right on the goal line. No reason we shouldve lost to Minne either. Should we have won 10 or 11 last year?

I'll add the NW hit out off (5 yards in) bounds call and in the Cincy game their QB fumbled into the endzone then out of bounds. Should've been a touchback but instead refs gave it back to Cincy right on the goal line. No reason we shouldve lost to Minne either. Should we have won 10 or 11 last year?

In that Cinci game we got robbed on a fumble call that was as clear as day on replay. They went to instant replay - and despite the evidence - upheld the call.

That was a "BE revenge against the ACC team" game.

In that Cinci game we got robbed on a fumble call that was as clear as day on replay. They went to instant replay - and despite the evidence - upheld the call.

That was a "BE revenge against the ACC team" game.

Perhaps it was the state of Ohio's revenge for the Toldeo XP incident?

Also, the 15 yard call against Lyn when he delivered a crushing blow against Cinci was a joke. How can you call a receiver that makes the catch and holds onto the ball a defenseless receiver?

Sorry for the sound quality... think the interviewer could have screened the mike from the wind.

Sorry for the sound quality... think the interviewer could have screened the mike from the wind.

That NW "late hit" still rankles me because the ball carrier totally suckered the ref with his acting job. I've always felt that for borderline calls late in a game, which will clearly change the outcome, the ref should not become part of the game story and needs to swallow his whistle.

That NW "late hit" still rankles me because the ball carrier totally suckered the ref with his acting job. I've always felt that for borderline calls late in a game, which will clearly change the outcome, the ref should not become part of the game story and needs to swallow his whistle.

Had the player been out, or near out of bounds it may have been a borderline call. It wasn't even close to borderline being 5 yards in bounds with momentum carrying the QB out of bounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom