Thoughts on Jalen? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Jalen?

Telling him not to shoot (or saying 'he hasn't figured out yet that he can't shoot' or something to that effect in a presser) is counter productive mentally - particularly when he came in as a scorer. Intended message was "we need you to handle the ball, get others involved, attack the rim and score or kick out, not to be a 3 point jump shooter." Now we are at a point in the season where the margin for error (turnovers) is even smaller. Wish he could have played through some of his mistakes earlier in the season. I wonder how practice goes for him.

Okay, let's cut to the chase. If you want to play, then play better than the other guy who wants that spot. Too many players bring with them, seems to me, a sense of entitlement which is completely unwarranted in a competitive environment. JAB is a professional coach, and his success is predicated on winning games. That's how he earns his living. So if Jalen was a better player than Frank - or any other perimeter player out there - he'd be playing.

I hear what you are saying, but it's getting to that point of the season where it seems clear the decision has been made, such that he likely isn't even getting the opportunity in practice to show his stuff. Only so much time left, need the producers to get prepared.

Jalen kinda didn't play as well as the season wore on - that's why he's not getting as much playing time - had turnover issues and I think he's been told not to shoot which has gotta mess with the confidence and just the flat out mentality of a player - a top 100 recruit who is not a bad shooter at all - put up 26 vs uconn - personally if i was in his shoes i would struggle being in that situation big-time...

i'm rooting for him - i think he's got a bright future...hope it is at syracuse...but i'm not sure how its going to go down with a couple guard recruits coming in next year that look pretty good...plus a few gaurds on the current roster that will get playing time next year for sure...
I root for Jalen and believe he can be what we want him to be but...not a bad shooter at all? Right now,he is a bad shooter. I’m one that believes you can make yourself a good shooter though if you want it bad enough.

Telling him not to shoot (or saying 'he hasn't figured out yet that he can't shoot' or something to that effect in a presser) is counter productive mentally - particularly when he came in as a scorer. Intended message was "we need you to handle the ball, get others involved, attack the rim and score or kick out, not to be a 3 point jump shooter." Now we are at a point in the season where the margin for error (turnovers) is even smaller. Wish he could have played through some of his mistakes earlier in the season. I wonder how practice goes for him.
You are assuming that the part in the bold wasn't said first, possibly multiple times.

Whatever. If Jalen doesn't show up next fall a lot better than his is now and look like a refined version of what we saw in November hes going to have a short career here. I don't really care what he does with 90 seconds left in a blowout. The PG job will be wide open next year noone is in front of him for it presently you can even say its his to lose. Hes lucky that is the situation with how badly he has looked since November.

I don't even trust Jalen to give us a 5 minute cameo like Bayer to play D and not turn it over if we get into foul trouble in the NCAAT. That is on noone but him.

Whatever. If Jalen doesn't show up next fall a lot better than his is now and look like a refined version of what we saw in November hes going to have a short career here. I don't really care what he does with 90 seconds left in a blowout. The PG job will be wide open next year noone is in front of him for it presently you can even say its his to lose. Hes lucky that is the situation with how badly he has looked since November.

I don't even trust Jalen to give us a 5 minute cameo like Bayer to play D and not turn it over if we get into foul trouble in the NCAAT. That is on noone but him.

A lot more harsh than I expected from someone who has defended Frank for so long.

The obsession this board has with Jalen not getting minutes when he’s produced nothing is weird.

Not going to speak for the board, but I just don't want anymore drama. I'm quite done with drama from the SU basketball team.

My thoughts are that JB better roll up his sleeves and work at building a relationship with the kid. Doesn’t mean he has to give him minutes he doesn’t deserve, but we can’t afford to run potential PGs off.

The obsession this board has with Jalen not getting minutes when he’s produced nothing is weird.
In our bi-polar fanbase's defense, he was highly touted and I think a lot of people keep hoping for some miracle change in his production. It's more emotional than rational.

I also wondered about that. Strange that he didn’t come in for garbage time. I really hope he doesn’t leave. He’s going to have the keys to the Porsche next year (perhaps given our offense the jalopy is more apt) and as many minutes as he can handle. His body language on the bench looks awful though.
Tonight's all long-face team: Carey, Howard, Sidibe. Instead of long faces just play better.

My thoughts are that JB better roll up his sleeves and work at building a relationship with the kid. Doesn’t mean he has to give him minutes he doesn’t deserve, but we can’t afford to run potential PGs off.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly why Jalen sits where he does during games.

A lot more harsh than I expected from someone who has defended Frank for so long.

Why Frankie came back from the dead after Gillon took pretty much all of his minutes and won us 3 tournament games last year. Hes had good moments recently even though hes been off the entire season.

Jalens fall off is probably more drastic than Franks the year Gillon took over the job completely. Both are similar I guess. I don't get how a guy can score 29 points in MSG and seemingly forget how to play basketball.

When Howards on the bench it means Buddy is draining threes which is not a bad thing. JB has done a good job using both so well. I even saw my desired lineup of all 3 of Howard/Battle/Buddy on the court for a few minutes tonight when Elijah wasn't good right out of the gate.

None of this will matter next year though its Jalens job to lose when fall camp opens which he should be very grateful for he doesn't have to unseat any returners and there isn't a 5 star PG recruit coming in. Hopefully he responds like Frankie did. We'll see. I think its pretty much over for this year though. Good thing Buddy has emerged or we'd be in trouble.

Why Frankie came back from the dead after Gillon took pretty much all of his minutes and won us 3 tournament games last year. Hes had good moments recently even though hes been off the entire season.

Jalens fall off is probably more drastic than Franks the year Gillon took over the job completely. Both are similar I guess. I don't get how a guy can score 29 points in MSG and seemingly forget how to play basketball.

When Howards on the bench it means Buddy is draining threes which is not a bad thing. JB has done a good job using both so well. I even saw my desired lineup of all 3 of Howard/Battle/Buddy on the court for a few minutes tonight when Elijah wasn't good right out of the gate.

None of this will matter next year though its Jalens job to lose when fall camp opens which he should be very grateful for he doesn't have to unseat any returners and there isn't a 5 star PG recruit coming in. Hopefully he responds like Frankie did.

You forget that UConn is actually bad at basketball. Less bad than most of our team that night but whatever. And I disagree with your characterization of the situation with Frank. He was a sophomore player, with some very shaky dealings all around and many on here, including me, supported him through his tough time. Maybe give Jalen a bit of the doubt that we all gave Frank.

I hear what you are saying, but it's getting to that point of the season where it seems clear the decision has been made, such that he likely isn't even getting the opportunity in practice to show his stuff. Only so much time left, need the producers to get prepared.

Fair enough. You're right about the time factor. But he's had the same 5 months as Buddy to prove he deserves PT. And honestly, Frank has been so inconsistent this year, he's left the door open that way. One walked through it, the other didn't.

JB's been asked on his show why he didn't play a scholarship player with the walk-ons. he said that some schollies don't want to play with the walk-ons: they find it embarrassing, as if they are regarded as being on that level. I guess Jalen is in that group. I doubt it's an indication of a problem between the player and the coach.

Moyer?

You can tell that JB is doing exactly that on the bench. Not sure what anyone’s worried about.

Not going to speak for the board, but I just don't want anymore drama. I'm quite done with drama from the SU basketball team.
Every team has drama. The local teams I follow are Mizzou and SLU. Plenty of drama with both squads, year after year.

I know it seems like we’re special in this regard. We’re not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom