Thoughts on Jalen? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Jalen?

I don’t agree with that at all. Buddy’s play has been to the complete detriment of Jalen and eaten into Franks minutes. Look at it this way, if Buddy were a complete non factor this year, and Tyus was at PG, who plays the 2?

I disagree. Jalen's play has been to the detriment of Jaylen - HE is the reason he isn't playing, not Buddy. Buddy is only seeing all these minutes because Jalen has been so bad at PG, and Frank has been so inconsistent.

Jalen played double-digit minutes in 12 of the first 16 games of the season.

Buddy only played double-digit minutes in 7 of those games.

In the 17th game of the season (Duke), Jalen had 3 turnovers in 7 minutes and hasn't played as much since.

In the 9 games since Duke, Buddy has played double-digit minutes 8 times.
In those 9 games, Buddy is averaging 9.4 points in 18.4 minutes per game.

He is shooting 29-46 from three.
That is SIXTY-THREE PERCENT, folks.

Too bad for Frank. Too bad for Jalen.
Good for Syracuse.

If Jalen and Frank played better, or at least more consistently, then we probably would never have had the Tyus at PG experiment (after it went so poorly in the early season), and Buddy wouldn't be seeing all this playing time.

Last edited:
I disagree. Jalen's play has been to the detriment of Jaylen - HE is the reason he isn't playing, not Buddy.

Jalen played double-digit minutes in 12 of the first 16 games of the season.

Buddy only played double-digit minutes in 7 of those games.

In the 17th game of the season (Duke), Jalen had 3 turnovers in 7 minutes and hasn't played as much since.

In the 9 games since Duke, Buddy has played double-digit minutes 8 times.
In those 9 games, Buddy is averaging 9.4 points in 18.4 minutes per game.

He is shooting 29-46 from three.
That is SIXTY-THREE PERCENT, folks.

Too bad for Frank. Too bad for Jalen.
Good for Syracuse.

If Jalen and Frank played better, or at least more consistently, then we probably would never have had the Tyus at PG experiment (after it went so poorly in the early season), and Buddy wouldn't be seeing all this playing time.
I agree with you. How many PGs in our past have been able to play significant minutes as a Freshman? I can only name two recent ones - MCW and Ennis. JC will be fine next year as our starting PG with the remainder of this season and the off season under his belt.

I agree with you. How many PGs in our past have been able to play significant minutes as a Freshman? I can only name two recent ones - MCW and Ennis. JC will be fine next year as our starting PG with the remainder of this season and the off season under his belt.

There have been a lot more than that, actually.
Jonny Flynn, Gerry McNamara, Billy Edelin, Jason Hart, Adrian Autry and, of course, the Pearl can be added to the list. There are probably a few more that I'm missing.

There have been a lot more than that, actually.
Jonny Flynn, Gerry McNamara, Billy Edelin, Jason Hart, Adrian Autry and, of course, the Pearl can be added to the list. There are probably a few more that I'm missing.

Throw in Triche as well. And regarding the prior post, I recall MCW hardly playing much as a freshman. It wasn't until his sophomore year after Scoop and Dion left that he got major minutes.

This is a potential can of worms, but so is this thread: It would have been nice to see JC enjoying a 20-point win against a top team in the league that may have cemented a tournament bid. It didn't help that all of the TV shots had him on the bench next to JB looking like he would rather be at home watching Netflix. Hopefully he keeps working hard. He has huge upside potential.
Does he? He's a guard who is terrible at shooting. The type of player I wish Boeheim would stop recruiting.

Hate to see the attitude go south...this is the same mannerisms we saw from Frank Howard early in his SU career...I hope this is a "phase" he's going through and the tide changes fast.....but lets be honest here you earn the minutes you play...he has no one to blame except the guy in the mirror...

Really am not getting a good feeling about this one.. Another poster said that JB tapped him to go in with approx. 90 seconds left and he said “nah I’m good”. That just makes me think he’s thinks he’s “too big” to play with the walk ons. Pretty ridiculous, and if that’s how he’s gonna act I have no problem with him leaving. Need a guy who will jump at any amount of playing time (Braswell) rather than a kid that seems to have a big ego and doesn’t like when things don’t go his way.
yeah I saw that yesterday too when I looked and saw all the Walk-Ons playing and no Jalen so that thought crossed my mind and I'm at the point now where I'm just waiting for the the story to say Jalen is transferring. Really sucks and a sad way for his Syracuse career to end if that's the way it goes down!!!

I could see JG3 being our starting PG.

I think he plays SG for his team. Just because you're not a big man doesn't mean that you know how to actually "be" a good point guard. It takes a certain mindset, and of course a good handle. We have had too many failed experiments at trying to turn wing players into PGs in recent years.

I think he plays SG for his team. Just because you're not a big man doesn't mean that you know how to actually "be" a good point guard. It takes a certain mindset, and of course a good handle. We have had too many failed experiments at trying to turn wing players into PGs in recent years.
I think you underestimate JG3's coachability. The QB aspect has a lot of common traits.

I think JB likes his point guards to be able to score. They need to pick their spots but an efficient 10-14 points is desired, especially when viewing the typical Cuse low scoring center. I think JB might think it is easier to develop a scoring guard into the point than it is to have a pure point guard learn to score. Both JG3 and JC can score but in different ways.

I think J Carey has the inside track for next year. JC's lure of blow by speed is very enticing. It's an aspect I don't think we will ever see from JG3. However, JC does not seem to be picking up or developing the pure point skills as quickly as anticipated - he turns the ball over way too much. I think that message would be received and executed by JG3. JC better buckle down and tighten that handle - the pg spot penciled in for him is not written in stone. I bet JG3 will be tightening his handle the day after he wins another State championship.

As for the failed experiments, what about the winners? Remember MCW? MG?

And, oh yeah, or best lineup/point right now, Mr Battle?

I could see JG3 being our starting PG.

people say this, but i don't see him as being the primary ball handler. he seems a bit deliberate the way he handles the ball. id imagine wed want someone who could push the pace a bit more. also, i am not sure he will be able to easily drive past bigger, longer guards at the next level. having him be the pg neutralizes his best talent, shooting. i think you have jg coming off screens to fire open shots, not getting the team in the offense.

I agree. Not sure why JC would transfer to sit a year out. He is the sure fire starting PG next year.
I'm not sure about sure fire... There will be other options... Possibly better...

I don't see Goodine or Buddy playing PG so our only options are JG3 or JC.

Don't sleep on Howard Washington... If JC leaves it's not optimal but if he doesn't improve his ball handling I don't see him starting either...

Don't sleep on Howard Washington... If JC leaves it's not optimal but if he doesn't improve his ball handling I don't see him starting either...
If we need to start HW next year due to JC transferring, we are in deep . No PG and No C. Ouch.

I think you underestimate JG3's coachability. The QB aspect has a lot of common traits.

I think JB likes his point guards to be able to score. They need to pick their spots but an efficient 10-14 points is desired, especially when viewing the typical Cuse low scoring center. I think JB might think it is easier to develop a scoring guard into the point than it is to have a pure point guard learn to score. Both JG3 and JC can score but in different ways.

I think J Carey has the inside track for next year. JC's lure of blow by speed is very enticing. It's an aspect I don't think we will ever see from JG3. However, JC does not seem to be picking up or developing the pure point skills as quickly as anticipated - he turns the ball over way too much. I think that message would be received and executed by JG3. JC better buckle down and tighten that handle - the pg spot penciled in for him is not written in stone. I bet JG3 will be tightening his handle the day after he wins another State championship.

You may be right. QB is a lot like PG. I know he puts 50 points up with regularity. Have you seen him in person? How's his handle and does he ever run the offense? It's hard to tell on his videos, because they all look like those Gerry McNamara videos when he was at Bishop Hannan, shooting bombs as soon as he crosses half court.

people say this, but i don't see him as being the primary ball handler. he seems a bit deliberate the way he handles the ball. id imagine wed want someone who could push the pace a bit more. also, i am not sure he will be able to easily drive past bigger, longer guards at the next level. having him be the pg neutralizes his best talent, shooting. i think you have jg coming off screens to fire open shots, not getting the team in the offense.

That's how he looks to me, too.

Again, I think Gerry is his comparable, or at least that's how Girard projects.

Bees and I used to go back and forth about "Edelin vs. GMac" - who is the better PG for the team? I always used to think GMac was more of an off guard who was at his best as a catch and shoot player.

He did play point, but I don't think he naturally set people up as well as Edelin, who (before his troubles) was a really elite kind of Mark Jackson guard with an old man's game that just couldn't be stopped.

I don't know that we've had as good a pure PG as that season and a half we got from Billy in the last 15 years.

Nothing lately, sure.

Nothing at all?

PointsReboundsAssists

i

J. Carey
G - SYR
26PTS 9/14FG 7/8FT

Under the bright lights of MSG, he was pretty much the only Orange player who showed up.
Our "Big 3" of OSB, Hughes, and Tyus shot a collective 15/46 = <33%

And yes, I do realize the irony of his career game being vs UConn just like Matt Moyer's was.
I certainly hope the remainder of their college careers don't go the same way too.

He also had 0 assists and 6 turnovers in that game. He had more than one fast break when he dribbled into multiple defenders. Point guards should try to include teammates on occasion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom