Thoughts on Jalen? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Jalen?

Admittedly I am a little worried about the Jalen situation. But, JB has had these situations before with highly ranked players and it has worked out - Dion, MCW for example
All Jalen has to do is look at those guys. Cooney, too.

JB doesn’t play freshman guards a whole lot (other than Ennis).

Frank and Tyus will be gone next year. Jalen will have plenty of opportunity to earn a starting job and keep it

Frank earned these minutes, jalen hasnt. Case closed.

Judging by his t-shirt and sweats, he wasn't cleared to play for whatever reason. I'll let the rest of the board make assumptions about keeping himself on the bench.

Judging by his t-shirt and sweats, he wasn't cleared to play for whatever reason. I'll let the rest of the board make assumptions about keeping himself on the bench.
If he wasn’t cleared to play why did Boeheim say he tapped him to go In with 2 minutes left?

If he wasn’t cleared to play why did Boeheim say he tapped him to go In with 2 minutes left?

I watched the entire game and didn't see that. He usually wears his team warm-ups, not sweats and a t. He also was parked by the coaches all game, wasn't at the end of bench. I do think Jalen has potential. If he cut down on the turnovers, he'd play. Frank is barely holding on to the job as is.

I root for Jalen and believe he can be what we want him to be but...not a bad shooter at all? Right now,he is a bad shooter. I’m one that believes you can make yourself a good shooter though if you want it bad enough.
in the only 2 games where he got 30+ minutes and got a lot of shots up, he went 9-14 against UCONN and 4-8 against oregon - I've seen enough from him to know that he can shoot the ball if given the green light.

I agree that right now - based on recent performance - he isn't a good shooter - but my point is that i'm not sure how much of that is him being given the yellow/red light when it comes to shooting and being taken out of the game for shooting 1 or 2 shots and missing and how the dynamic of being told to play in first gear and ONLY FACILITATE is effecting his play.

and given buddy's relatively long leash despite early struggles...jalen might be having a hard time with the shortness of his own leash...I know I Would too!!!

i'm not privvy to practices, lockerrooms etc...so i'm only speculating obviously...but its flat out weird to me for a player to come out like he did all gangbusters in his first couple of games and then turn into a player who struggles to not lose the ball and dribble etc...

sure he should be able to handle it...and must perform to get playing time and a sense of entitlement isn't going to get him anywhere - but I think the dynamic that he is facing personally as a player is difficult and understandable that he would struggle with it - i'm just guessing why he has seemed to regress since the beginning of the year - but i still have high hopes for him and think he can and should be the starter at PG next year...so I hope he keeps his head up and stays strong...

Last edited:
I watched the entire game and didn't see that. He usually wears his team warm-ups, not sweats and a t. He also was parked by the coaches all game, wasn't at the end of bench. I do think Jalen has potential. If he cut down on the turnovers, he'd play. Frank is barely holding on to the job as is.

Well then you missed it because it happened at the end.

No one is happy to be on the bench. All he has to do is hang on till summer practice and he has the keys

Unless Goodine is better.

One point people miss is that Buddy isn't getting Jalen's or frank's PT. He's a '2' guard. Battle is the one putting Jalen and Frank on the bench because he's proven that the offense is better with him at the point.

anybody with two eyes, and probably most people with one eye, can wonder why frank howard is getting minutes but jalen carey can't get on the court.
Frank can shoot. This isn’t that hard. Jalen Carey has no right to be mad about not getting playing time. He wouldn’t get any PT at any other ACC Tourney Caliber team either playing like he’s played in conference.

his shots that last 10 games have barely gotten above the rim and he is dribbling like he is playing on ice.. I do think he could help us on D, but he cant just give the ball away from the PT.. Buddy has the advantage of dribbling less from the 2 and usually trying to make the smart play with the ball and give it up under control.

in the only 2 games where he got 30+ minutes and got a lot of shots up, he went 9-14 against UCONN and 4-8 against oregon - I've seen enough from him to know that he can shoot the ball if given the green light.

I agree that right now - based on recent performance - he isn't a good shooter - but my point is that i'm not sure how much of that is him being given the yellow/red light when it comes to shooting and being taken out of the game for shooting 1 or 2 shots and missing and how the dynamic of being told to play in first gear and ONLY FACILITATE is effecting his play.

and given buddy's relatively long leash despite early struggles...jalen might be having a hard time with the shortness of his own leash...I know I Would too!!!

i'm not privvy to practices, lockerrooms etc...so i'm only speculating obviously...but its flat out weird to me for a player to come out like he did all gangbusters in his first couple of games and then turn into a player who struggles to not lose the ball and dribble etc...

sure he should be able to handle it...and must perform to get playing time and a sense of entitlement isn't going to get him anywhere - but I think the dynamic that he is facing personally as a player is difficult and understandable that he would struggle with it - i'm just guessing why he has seemed to regress since the beginning of the year - but i still have high hopes for him and think he can and should be the starter at PG next year...so I hope he keeps his head up and stays strong...
i think he would have received minutes to play thru bad shooting or a shooting slump. it is the turnovers that jimmy wont accept.

Really am not getting a good feeling about this one.. Another poster said that JB tapped him to go in with approx. 90 seconds left and he said “nah I’m good”. That just makes me think he’s thinks he’s “too big” to play with the walk ons. Pretty ridiculous, and if that’s how he’s gonna act I have no problem with him leaving. Need a guy who will jump at any amount of playing time (Braswell) rather than a kid that seems to have a big ego and doesn’t like when things don’t go his way.

Ugh.

Not wanting to play garbage minutes that can do nothing to help you improve as a player is not a bad thing. It allowed a walk-on to play more. Sounds like a good teammate move to me.

Unless Goodine is better.

One point people miss is that Buddy isn't getting Jalen's or frank's PT. He's a '2' guard. Battle is the one putting Jalen and Frank on the bench because he's proven that the offense is better with him at the point.

I don’t agree with that at all. Buddy’s play has been to the complete detriment of Jalen and eaten into Franks minutes. Look at it this way, if Buddy were a complete non factor this year, and Tyus was at PG, who plays the 2?

All I'm saying is Jalen's demeanor on the bench seems off on T.V., unlike say Washington's. Now that's just what I see on T.V...which means nothing, but he looks like he doesn't want to be there...at...all.

He's a basketball player, not a cheerleader. I'd rather have a guy pissed off to be on the bench than a guy eager to clap and smile and take in the sights. That kind of stuff is just for show, anyway. Doesn't actually mean anything.

The idea that you have to smile and be overly, outwardly encouraging of teammates and jump at any chance to get on the court against scrubs in order to be a good player/teammate is bananas to me.

I don’t agree with that at all. Buddy’s play has been to the complete detriment of Jalen and eaten into Franks minutes. Look at it this way, if Buddy were a complete non factor this year, and Tyus was at PG, who plays the 2?

But if Tyus couldn't handle to point guard duties, Buddy would be on the bench. Both views have a strong logic to them. The simple fact is that our best line-up right now is Battle-Boeheim-Hughes-Brisssett- Dolezaj. and it's not close.

He's a basketball player, not a cheerleader. I'd rather have a guy pissed off to be on the bench than a guy eager to clap and smile and take in the sights. That kind of stuff is just for show, anyway. Doesn't actually mean anything.

The idea that you have to smile and be overly, outwardly encouraging of teammates and jump at any chance to get on the court against scrubs in order to be a good player/teammate is bananas to me.

I like bananas.

5 Reasons to Love Bananas

1550760112497.png

his shots that last 10 games have barely gotten above the rim and he is dribbling like he is playing on ice.. I do think he could help us on D, but he cant just give the ball away from the PT.. Buddy has the advantage of dribbling less from the 2 and usually trying to make the smart play with the ball and give it up under control.

Maybe that's the way to fold him back into some playing time. Offense for defense. Just not sure who you are taking out. Maybe Tyus.

Hughes

I root for Jalen and believe he can be what we want him to be but...not a bad shooter at all? Right now,he is a bad shooter. I’m one that believes you can make yourself a good shooter though if you want it bad enough.
You can make yourself good at any skill if you want it badly enough. The only issue then is the timetable to get in the hours necessary.

If someone could explain to me what minutes Carey has earned in ACC play that would be great. He looks like an athlete with unrefined basketball skills right now.

You can make yourself good at any skill if you want it badly enough. The only issue then is the timetable to get in the hours necessary.
Some truth to that. But the skill J Carey needs to concentrate on is not shooting. He needs to take care of the ball. The idea that JC should spend his time working on his shooting is misguided. Next year SU will have shooters - this years Buddy/Eli + JG3 and OB. SU needs the ball handling, driving, distributing point guard.

JC's play in the limited minutes portion is worrisome to me. It's like he doesn't understand, or can't execute, priority one when he is in there - take care of the ball. I hope the message can get through to JC on how to allot his time. Because IMO, you will only need to tell JG3 once. JG3 doesn't look to have the same blow by ability as JC, which is coveted in the point guard, but if JC can't focus on the correct priorities JB may have to put in someone who does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom