Thoughts on Jalen? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Jalen?

Admittedly I am a little worried about the Jalen situation. But, JB has had these situations before with highly ranked players and it has worked out - Dion, MCW for example

I'm more concerned with the way Carey has looked in his limited minutes rather than the fact that he's had limited minutes. Dion and MCW looked good when they played as freshmen for the most part; Jalen has not. To me, he looks more like an Isaiah Washington-esq disappointment than a Dion/MCW-waiting-their-turn kinda thing.

Just gotta hope he comes back looking much better as a sophomore; not everyone can come in and play well right away.

Best player out there 2 of the past 4 before tonight. Jb said we don’t beat Pitt without him. His per minute stats aren’t much different than last year. Inconsistent? Sure. Flat stink all year? Not really. And I understand you and a few others look for anything to complain about so it’s cool.
Just because his stats "aren't much different than last year" doesn't mean that they are good. Last year there was very little to no option than to play him, thus his extreme playing time. This year there is at least 1 more than acceptable alternative. Can you honestly say the team is better when he is in there and doing nothing?

I wouldn't play Carey either...that being said, if people argue Braswell earned some PT by playing well against a team that beat up on our starters pretty badly - that argument would be dismissed as a small sample size and not worthy of consideration.

The people that want JC to play are saying, "small sample sizes" are hurting his game and not an accurate reflection of what we would see with increased PT. That's the sum of it. It's just a different stance.

The JC side is made all the easier by the fact that our PG can hit some threes on occasion, function as a pseudo-2G in those moments, but otherwise just dribbles around the three point line sleepily.

So, it's understandable. I feel no need to see JC get minutes...but I can see how the argument arises.

The best answer is always - PT is based on practice! Go with the unknowable.

The obsession this board has with Jalen not getting minutes when he’s produced nothing is weird.

Nothing lately, sure.

Nothing at all?

PointsReboundsAssists

i

J. Carey
G - SYR
26PTS 9/14FG 7/8FT

Under the bright lights of MSG, he was pretty much the only Orange player who showed up.
Our "Big 3" of OSB, Hughes, and Tyus shot a collective 15/46 = <33%

And yes, I do realize the irony of his career game being vs UConn just like Matt Moyer's was.
I certainly hope the remainder of their college careers don't go the same way too.

Really am not getting a good feeling about this one.. Another poster said that JB tapped him to go in with approx. 90 seconds left and he said “nah I’m good”. That just makes me think he’s thinks he’s “too big” to play with the walk ons. Pretty ridiculous, and if that’s how he’s gonna act I have no problem with him leaving. Need a guy who will jump at any amount of playing time (Braswell) rather than a kid that seems to have a big ego and doesn’t like when things don’t go his way.
I get it, but it's kinda unfair to compare Jalen with Braswell. It's human to have your emotions and reactions tied to your expectations. Braswell shoudln't have expected to play a lot this year. He's probably grateful for any run. Jalen probably did expect to have a role, and he probably thought he demonstrated promise early in the season. He's going to react differently. One is being given something; one is having something taken away—in an emotional sense. People do have egos and senses of self. Psychology is a thing. I have mixed feelings on this. Bad, certainly, if JB wanted Jalen in and he refused. Less bad if he was asked 'as a courtesy' and declined. Having pride and a sense of self-worth (even when misguided)—not necessarily a bad thing. Hopefully this motivates the kid to not be put in this situation again.

That said, i hope Jalen isn't thinking about leaving. He's got a lot of potential, and should be firmly in the mix next season.

He's a basketball player, not a cheerleader. I'd rather have a guy pissed off to be on the bench than a guy eager to clap and smile and take in the sights. That kind of stuff is just for show, anyway. Doesn't actually mean anything.

The idea that you have to smile and be overly, outwardly encouraging of teammates and jump at any chance to get on the court against scrubs in order to be a good player/teammate is bananas to me.

Agreed. Fans clap and cheer.

Some players have the personality where they do too. And some don’t. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

didn't look happy at all. can't be easy seeing guys playing thru the same mistakes that get you yanked.
i got no issue with declining 1 minute of mop up duty. been there done that.

Last edited:
Nothing lately, sure.

Nothing at all?

PointsReboundsAssists

i

J. Carey
G - SYR
26PTS 9/14FG 7/8FT

Under the bright lights of MSG, he was pretty much the only Orange player who showed up.
Our "Big 3" of OSB, Hughes, and Tyus shot a collective 15/46 = <33%

And yes, I do realize the irony of his career game being vs UConn just like Matt Moyer's was.
I certainly hope the remainder of their college careers don't go the same way too.

That game was almost 4 months ago.

That game was almost 4 months ago.

Followed it up with 14 against Oregon but he's been a disaster ever since.

Through the Oregon game: 47 points on 60.6% TS%
Since then: 35 points on 39% TS% (for reference, MCW was horribly inefficient as a scorer at 50%).

you really can't judge any game where a kid plays 2 minutes. unless he puts it in the wrong hoop. be real.

Followed it up with 14 against Oregon but he's been a disaster ever since.

Through the Oregon game: 47 points on 60.6% TS%
Since then: 35 points on 39% TS% (for reference, MCW was horribly inefficient as a scorer at 50%).

Curious to see total minutes for each of those breakdowns.

Curious to see total minutes for each of those breakdowns.

Colgate:
18 minutes 0-3, 0 points

Georgetown:
23 minutes 1-4, 3 turnovers, 3 points

Northeastern:
17 Minutes, 2-5, 1 turnover 4 points

Bonaventure:
19 minutes, 1-5, 2 turnovers, 4 points

Georgia Tech:
12 Minutes, 0-2, 4 turnovers, zero points

His playing time severely diminished after Georgia Tech, but you can’t say he wasn’t given opportunities. He did nothing with those opportunities.

we played 22 games the past 3 months (colgate 11/21) jalen was shooting 12-37. about 8 mpg.
breakdown this past month we played 9 games. (pitt 1/19) jalen is shooting 2/5 while avg 2.5 mpg.
buddy went probably 7 minutes last night in a stretch that saw some misses and to's before he scored.
what's his stat line if he leaves after 2 minutes ? i'm not knocking buddy. but sometimes you gotta get into game flow and break a sweat before we judge performance .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom