Thoughts on the upcoming year | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on the upcoming year

General20

Basketball Maven
First off, I'm pretty bullish on SU this year. I'm thinking top 10, final 4 etc.

We had a chance to have (at least in my opinion) the clear cut best team in the country if Malachi did not go pro, and if Tyler Cavanaugh transferred here (which I really thought was going to happen, would love to hear what went on behind the scenes there).

Unfortunately Malachi made the correct decision for him. Though he was inconsistent as a freshman (which is pretty typical) he would not have been inconsistent as a sophomore. He probably would have been the best player in the country. I, personally, don't think Syracuse got to the final 4 by fluke. I think they got there because Malachi and Lydon grew into their exceptional talent, especially Malachi who I think is going to be a good pro.

Boeheim and staff really did a great job of rolling with the punches by adding Jon Gillon and Andrew White to give themselves a very complete and well rounded roster. When Boeheim has the pieces he needs to make his system work Syracuse is always elite . . . this year Boeheim has the pieces to make his system work.

Lets talk about one of those pieces, Andrew White. He is a fantastic replacement for Malachi, but lets cool it a bit on him being better that Malachi would have been. I think pretty much everybody knows the book on Andrew White by now, great shooter, not much of a ball handler (for a guard), not many assists, lots of rebounds, poor lateral quickness, good straight line quickness, good hops.

I watched three of Andrew White's games pretty carefully (against Michigan St., Miami, and Samford) and here is what I saw.

First of all, Nebraska played a line up of 5 guards. Their center was a Draymond Green type who actually played point on offense a lot of the time. The other three starters were midgets by SU standards. This left 6'7 Andrew White to play what amounted to the stretch 4 role. He was never asked to create offense. His job was to hang out behind the three point line, find an opening and knock down shots - and he was great at it.

Here is what we don't know . . . is Andrew White capable of handling the ball and initiating offense? Its possible that he may be able to do more of this than he showed but Nebraska simply didn't need him to because they were playing 5 guards and he was the best shooter/tallest of the 5.

Against Michigan St. White was asked to guard 6'10 first round draft pick Deyonta Davis, and Nebraska made the choice not to double team. Pretty understandably, White looked uncomfortable guarding Davis under the basket, and was fouled out of the game in about 19 minutes.

Against Miami White guarded 6-6 wing Davon Reed and pretty much shut him down, while scoring an efficient 13 points himself. Nebraska lost in overtime (which is a great result against a top 10 team).

Against Samford, White guarded one of their forwards who was a short guard by ACC standards. Again White shut him down. Against both Miami and Samford White was primarily covering the perimeter and looked really comfortable doing it, even against a smaller quicker guard. Against Michigan St. White was asked to protect the paint and looked very uncomfortable.

I don't think White will be a great defensive player for us no matter where he plays, but I think he will be better at the top of the zone than the wing of the zone. Our wings have to cover a lot of space and his noticeable lack of lateral quickness will make it hard for him to do that. And our wings will at times be matched up with bigs down low, and that is not White's strength.

On the other hand White looks very comfortable guarding the perimeter, and his lack of quickness will be less of a liability because (1) he will be taller and longer than the guys he's guarding (rather than shorter as a forward) which will help make up for a lack of quickness, and (2) because Syracuse is probably going to encourage guards to penetrate more this year because unlike last year we will have a 7'2 shot blocker waiting to make their life hell.

This does not mean I think White is going to play guard. It just means I think he'd be a better defensive guard than forward. How much White actually plays guard will have more to do with Battle/Gillon/Howard than White.

White is less of a ball handler, passer, penetrater than Malachi was, which is usually a bad thing, but could be a good thing if Battle turns out to be SO good that he needs the ball in his hands all the time. In that case White will make a better complimentary player than Richardson would have. Although something interesting I noticed from watching White, he never took a deep 3's. His toes were always right up to the line.

Batttle is the single most important player on our team. If he's our leading scorer in the games that matter, we are probably a national championship contender. If Battle can play point and Boeheim wants to keep the ball in his hands, then I can see him building version 2 of 2012 with Battle filling in for Dion Waiters and Chukwu filling in for Melo. A team of Battle and White at the guards, Roberson and Lydon at the forwards and Chukwu at center would be very hard to score against, and it would have enough rebounding to release Battle early in transition the way we did with Waiters. I think this team would be better in the half court than that team was, however, and better rebounding which is saying something because that team only lost 1 game.

Of course this puts a lot of pressure on a freshman to run the show, and there is no way to know yet if he is ready for all that. Maybe we will be better with a "true" point guard, meaning Gillon or Howard. I was one of the people pointing out last year that Howard was terrible both offensively and defensive (a fact I think most SU fans missed for some reason) however you could see Howard's progression at the end of the year, he literally got better every post season game we played. I could see him being a very different player this year than he was last year.

If I had to guess (and at this point its really just a guess) I think you will see Boeheim tinker with line ups more this year than most years to exploit other teams weaknesses. That is my way of saying forget about the starting line up, its going to be almost meaningless as a reflection of minutes played.

When we play a team like Louisville who presses you'll probably see lots of Gillon at point and White at small forward. But when we play a team that plays a zone or a man to man that sags back, you might see the better defensive combo of White and Battle as the guards.

Some teams will be vulnerable to the press and in those situations you will almost definite Gillon leading the press and Chukwu protecting the basket.

Other teams wont score much in the paint against us and perhaps Boeheim chooses to play Lydon at center and go with a fantastic offensive team of Gillon Battle White Roberson and Lydon (that's 4 guys who can shoot and Roberson under the basket to hoover up the few misses they have).

My guess is minutes and roles will very greatly from game to game because Boeheim can tweak this team more than most of the teams he's had.

So what to look for in preseason and in practice reports?

1) How does Battle look and can he play the point?
2) Who is the better point guard, Gillon or Howard?
3) Are Moyer and Thompson good enough to take minutes away from the big guys when it matters? I seriously doubt it.
4) Is Coleman good enough to earn major playing time? I have my doubts on this one, I could see Boeheim going offense/defense with Chukwu and Lydon. Lydon won't be the liability in the middle he was last year because Boeheim can choose to play him only when it will benefit us (like when a team's major low post scoring threat is sitting the bench).
5) Is White learning two positions on defense or does Boeheim want him to master one? White and Lydon are the only two guys I can see playing different roles in the zone (Lydon wing and center, White guard and wing).
6) Can Chukwu be a defensive game changer? We are probably only a championship team if he is.

Should be an exciting season with lots to argue about!

Phenomenal post, per usual, General.

Great breakdown on White--you really nailed his capabilities. Although it is interesting how similar our opinions are about the capabilities / limitations, and yet we have completely different conclusions about where his best fit defensively is in our system -- especially when combined with other personnel.

I think AW's size [215-220] and rebounding prowess will push him to the back line, and that his straight line athleticism are a better fit for what he'll be asked to do to cover on the back line as opposed to up front. One thing that's for sure: he'll be asked to do completely different things in zone than he did in man at his previous two collegiate stops.

Nevertheless, very interesting read. At the end of the day, I think our lineup comes down to two questions:

[1] where does Battle play -- 1 or 2?
[2] does Lydon start or come off the bench?

The answers to those two questions cause the rest of the dominoes to topple into place.

Last edited:
I agree completely with your assessment of White's lateral speed. Watching some of his games, he is much better straight ahead than side to side. He's a big boy, so it is certainly harder for him to move like a guard, but he does seem more comfortable guarding smaller or equal sized players than bigger guys. Will he play at the top of the zone, moving TB down defensively? Will be very interesting to see. The DC, TL, TR front line is certainly our best rebounding lineup. I imagine JB will love that line, but the problem with it, is that it takes TB, JG, or FH off the floor (assuming White is playing).

I do believe he compliments TB better than MR would have, as he is a pure shooter, who needs someone to drive and dish to him. FH and JG should get a bunch of assists to him this year.

I think you are also spot on that JB will need to tinker with the lineups game by game. JG is born to play against UL, and will certainly be very important in games against the smaller speedier lineups. That said, the smaller lineup of JG, TB, AW, TL, and TR seems like they could certainly get a lot of run when we need points in a hurry. Perhaps even when pressing. Sub out TR for PC and let him protect the rim on a press, and we could really see something special.

Last edited:
I agree, Malachi at the end of last season was better than AW. But i also agree, both Mal and Battle would want need the ball in their hands A LOT this year. White is a better compliment to Battle than Mal imo. But its all predicated on Battle being ready for prime time this year. I am with RF , i see AW being better suited for backside of zone because hes a very solid rebounder. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out!

General, you're the best! I loved the post.

AW3 playing defense on the 3 or 2 is a big issue. Defense will take until March to get good. I sure hope AW3 has the right attitude to learn the defense.

Chukwu running center of the 2-3 zone has me worried. He's had a year so hopefully he can do it.

I think seeing how much Lydon improves will be very interesting. It would be really cool to see a big leap in the number of 3s he takes and his shooting percentage. That would be killer.

I think having 4 players who played in a Final Four will really help us when we get to the Final Four.

It's great to be Orange!

First off, I'm pretty bullish on SU this year. I'm thinking top 10, final 4 etc.

We had a chance to have (at least in my opinion) the clear cut best team in the country if Malachi did not go pro, and if Tyler Cavanaugh transferred here (which I really thought was going to happen, would love to hear what went on behind the scenes there).

Unfortunately Malachi made the correct decision for him. Though he was inconsistent as a freshman (which is pretty typical) he would not have been inconsistent as a sophomore. He probably would have been the best player in the country. I, personally, don't think Syracuse got to the final 4 by fluke. I think they got there because Malachi and Lydon grew into their exceptional talent, especially Malachi who I think is going to be a good pro.

Boeheim and staff really did a great job of rolling with the punches by adding Jon Gillon and Andrew White to give themselves a very complete and well rounded roster. When Boeheim has the pieces he needs to make his system work Syracuse is always elite . . . this year Boeheim has the pieces to make his system work.

Lets talk about one of those pieces, Andrew White. He is a fantastic replacement for Malachi, but lets cool it a bit on him being better that Malachi would have been. I think pretty much everybody knows the book on Andrew White by now, great shooter, not much of a ball handler (for a guard), not many assists, lots of rebounds, poor lateral quickness, good straight line quickness, good hops.

I watched three of Andrew White's games pretty carefully (against Michigan St., Miami, and Samford) and here is what I saw.

First of all, Nebraska played a line up of 5 guards. Their center was a Draymond Green type who actually played point on offense a lot of the time. The other three starters were midgets by SU standards. This left 6'7 Andrew White to play what amounted to the stretch 4 role. He was never asked to create offense. His job was to hang out behind the three point line, find an opening and knock down shots - and he was great at it.

Here is what we don't know . . . is Andrew White capable of handling the ball and initiating offense? Its possible that he may be able to do more of this than he showed but Nebraska simply didn't need him to because they were playing 5 guards and he was the best shooter/tallest of the 5.

Against Michigan St. White was asked to guard 6'10 first round draft pick Deyonta Davis, and Nebraska made the choice not to double team. Pretty understandably, White looked uncomfortable guarding Davis under the basket, and was fouled out of the game in about 19 minutes.

Against Miami White guarded 6-6 wing Davon Reed and pretty much shut him down, while scoring an efficient 13 points himself. Nebraska lost in overtime (which is a great result against a top 10 team).

Against Samford, White guarded one of their forwards who was a short guard by ACC standards. Again White shut him down. Against both Miami and Samford White was primarily covering the perimeter and looked really comfortable doing it, even against a smaller quicker guard. Against Michigan St. White was asked to protect the paint and looked very uncomfortable.

I don't think White will be a great defensive player for us no matter where he plays, but I think he will be better at the top of the zone than the wing of the zone. Our wings have to cover a lot of space and his noticeable lack of lateral quickness will make it hard for him to do that. And our wings will at times be matched up with bigs down low, and that is not White's strength.

On the other hand White looks very comfortable guarding the perimeter, and his lack of quickness will be less of a liability because (1) he will be taller and longer than the guys he's guarding (rather than shorter as a forward) which will help make up for a lack of quickness, and (2) because Syracuse is probably going to encourage guards to penetrate more this year because unlike last year we will have a 7'2 shot blocker waiting to make their life hell.

This does not mean I think White is going to play guard. It just means I think he'd be a better defensive guard than forward. How much White actually plays guard will have more to do with Battle/Gillon/Howard than White.

White is less of a ball handler, passer, penetrater than Malachi was, which is usually a bad thing, but could be a good thing if Battle turns out to be SO good that he needs the ball in his hands all the time. In that case White will make a better complimentary player than Richardson would have. Although something interesting I noticed from watching White, he never took a deep 3's. His toes were always right up to the line.

Batttle is the single most important player on our team. If he's our leading scorer in the games that matter, we are probably a national championship contender. If Battle can play point and Boeheim wants to keep the ball in his hands, then I can see him building version 2 of 2012 with Battle filling in for Dion Waiters and Chukwu filling in for Melo. A team of Battle and White at the guards, Roberson and Lydon at the forwards and Chukwu at center would be very hard to score against, and it would have enough rebounding to release Battle early in transition the way we did with Waiters. I think this team would be better in the half court than that team was, however, and better rebounding which is saying something because that team only lost 1 game.

Of course this puts a lot of pressure on a freshman to run the show, and there is no way to know yet if he is ready for all that. Maybe we will be better with a "true" point guard, meaning Gillon or Howard. I was one of the people pointing out last year that Howard was terrible both offensively and defensive (a fact I think most SU fans missed for some reason) however you could see Howard's progression at the end of the year, he literally got better every post season game we played. I could see him being a very different player this year than he was last year.

If I had to guess (and at this point its really just a guess) I think you will see Boeheim tinker with line ups more this year than most years to exploit other teams weaknesses. That is my way of saying forget about the starting line up, its going to be almost meaningless as a reflection of minutes played.

When we play a team like Louisville who presses you'll probably see lots of Gillon at point and White at small forward. But when we play a team that plays a zone or a man to man that sags back, you might see the better defensive combo of White and Battle as the guards.

Some teams will be vulnerable to the press and in those situations you will almost definite Gillon leading the press and Chukwu protecting the basket.

Other teams wont score much in the paint against us and perhaps Boeheim chooses to play Lydon at center and go with a fantastic offensive team of Gillon Battle White Roberson and Lydon (that's 4 guys who can shoot and Roberson under the basket to hoover up the few misses they have).

My guess is minutes and roles will very greatly from game to game because Boeheim can tweak this team more than most of the teams he's had.

So what to look for in preseason and in practice reports?

1) How does Battle look and can he play the point?
2) Who is the better point guard, Gillon or Howard?
3) Are Moyer and Thompson good enough to take minutes away from the big guys when it matters? I seriously doubt it.
4) Is Coleman good enough to earn major playing time? I have my doubts on this one, I could see Boeheim going offense/defense with Chukwu and Lydon. Lydon won't be the liability in the middle he was last year because Boeheim can choose to play him only when it will benefit us (like when a team's major low post scoring threat is sitting the bench).
5) Is White learning two positions on defense or does Boeheim want him to master one? White and Lydon are the only two guys I can see playing different roles in the zone (Lydon wing and center, White guard and wing).
6) Can Chukwu be a defensive game changer? We are probably only a championship team if he is.

Should be an exciting season with lots to argue about!
And its interesting, in an interview after he became Orange, AW pretty much said his top priority was becoming a playmaker, not just a catch and shoot guy. He claims he wants to make those around him better. (SU had the personnel for that and thats what will get him to nba). If he can do even a little of that we are going to be very tough offensively.

Great post, brother.

Interestingly enough, I heard there were some things done to prepare for a possible arrival of TC, and was shocked it didn't happen as well. I would enjoy knowing what happened behind the scenes there as well.

Great post, brother.

Interestingly enough, I heard there were some things done to prepare for a possible arrival of TC, and was shocked it didn't happen as well. I would enjoy knowing what happened behind the scenes there as well.
pretty sure one of the things that happened was Lonergan, having caught wind of TC's possibly leaving, got on his hands and knees and begged/sobbed hysterically

pretty sure one of the things that happened was Lonergan, having caught wind of TC's possibly leaving, got on his hands and knees and begged/sobbed hysterically
Dont TC and TL have a similar skill set? Ill take AW. I really like the ten pieces we have now

I could see JB using 3 guards in some situations with Battle playing small forward/semi swing guard.

Love this post and the thought of White playing the 2 but I just have a hard time seeing Lydon playing the 3 this year(offensively). Usually all three of our guards can play out of a PNR and Lydon didn't show that last year. If it's one aspect that Lydon is shaky potatoes on, it's his ball handling ability and his ability to create for himself. I believe Lydons biggest strength and asset to this team is his ability to play that stretch 4. Stretch 4s are soooo dang hard to guard especially when you have other good perimeter players spaced out. We have Battle and Gillon (and Frank) who are very good at attacking space and using their speed. I believe Chukwu makes up for a lot on the defensive end and therefore I think White can play down in the back line of the zone. White rebounds well. Like you said, his ability to close out and guard space is a question mark. My way to early favorite lineup is: Gillon, Battle, White,Lydon, and Chukwu. Two creators and play makers (have to have playmakers in college basketball, something we've lacked out of the PG position), A great shooter who has a competent pull-up and triple threat game , a picture perfect stretch 4 who is a prominent player in all of college basketball, and a 7'2 beast who will be great defensively and a competent dump off man offensively.

Love this post and the thought of White playing the 2 but I just have a hard time seeing Lydon playing the 3 this year(offensively). Usually all three of our guards can play out of a PNR and Lydon didn't show that last year. If it's one aspect that Lydon is shaky potatoes on, it's his ball handling ability and his ability to create for himself. I believe Lydons biggest strength and asset to this team is his ability to play that stretch 4. Stretch 4s are soooo dang hard to guard especially when you have other good perimeter players spaced out. We have Battle and Gillon (and Frank) who are very good at attacking space and using their speed. I believe Chukwu makes up for a lot on the defensive end and therefore I think White can play down in the back line of the zone. White rebounds well. Like you said, his ability to close out and guard space is a question mark. My way to early favorite lineup is: Gillon, Battle, White,Lydon, and Chukwu. Two creators and play makers (have to have playmakers in college basketball, something we've lacked out of the PG position), A great shooter who has a competent pull-up and triple threat game , a picture perfect stretch 4 who is a prominent player in all of college basketball, and a 7'2 beast who will be great defensively and a competent dump off man offensively.
Thats my fav early season lineup too. But by end of season hoping its Howard, Battle, AW, Lydon, Chukwu

Thanks, G. Interesting take on Battle/White. Before reading this, I had those two locked into the 2 and 3, respectively. I still think we might see that more often than not, since both have prototypical size and skills for those positions (TB's 6'6; perfect volume scorer at SG who'll benefit from Gillon's quickness and court vision; can defend ACC guards at the top of the zone; and White's a classic SF at 6'7, who can catch and shoot but is beafy enough to rebound the weak side at 220+ llbs, not as quick on D, and there's no other perfect option at SF on the roster with Lydon being more of a stretch 4).

No doubt the staff is going to have a field day testing/tweaking various lineups with all the options. But you make an interesting case for Battle playing PG with White at the 2. Plenty of benefits but also some risks (in red):

1. The top of the zone would be huge (can AW stay in front of ACC guards and stop penetration?);
2. It allows both Battle and White to have the ball in their hands (but can TB run the offense and distribute?);
3. White can hit 3's high or low, but having him at the 2 gives him more room to score off the dribble, instead of just being a catch and shoot option on the baseline (is he quick enough to drive by ACC guards and skilled enough to create his own shot?);
4. It allows JB to keep TR at the 4 and play Lydon at the 3. This helps us offensively by adding a shooter and defensively by adding more size and some weak-side shot-blocking (but is Lydon quick enough to guard ACC SF's?).

Wild Possibility (from Devo): Lydon at the 3 and TT at PF with Chukwu in the middle. Huge front line with 2 guys who can shoot it (TT's the sleeper this year).

Last edited:
With this squad I don't think I ever been this interested or excited to watch the first few games. There are so many lineup possibilities. It's really going to be a lot fun watching how this team gels into the best lineups.

Your first substantive post about the upcoming season generally comes in early to mid-November...

The fact that it is coming in late August means that the General is giddy as a kid on Xmas morning about the upcoming season...

I think we all are a little giddy. Getting Gillon and AW3 is just mesmerizing. It's like Orange fan catnip.

Excellent post, General, but what else is new from you?

A few things: I don't see Battle playing a lot of point guard but he's more than capable of breaking a press and handling it a lot. I think our guards will not crash the boards much this year since we should have a very dominant rebounding front court. That'll create a lot of running opportunities. Battle and Gillon have been told by the coaches they expect to run a lot this year.

I agree with RF that White is better suited to play down low in our zone.

I think Coleman is going to be ultra-motivated to earn minutes and show more skills this year. This is his first healthy year and he's almost an afterthought.

JB apparently loves Thompson but whose minutes would he take away? Tough to see.

JB could almost pick names out of a hat for our guards and forwards and most lineups could be effective.

Last edited:
Excellent post, General, but what else is new from you?

A few things: I don't see Battle playing a lot of point guard but he's more than capable of breaking a press and handling it a lot. I think our guards will not crash the boards much this year since we should have a very dominant rebounding front court. That'll create a lot of running opportunities. Battle and Gillon have been told by the coaches they expect to run a lot this year.

I agree with RF that White is better suited to play down low in our zone.

I think Coleman is going to be ultra-motivated to earn minutes and show more skills this year. This is his first healthy year and he's almost an afterthought.

JB apparently loves Thompson but one minutes would he take away? Tough to see.

JB could almost pick names out of a hat for our guards and forwards and most lineups could be effective.
Frankly, I think DC is going to be the surprise player this year. Not Xmas good, but better than he's ever shown us he could be.

Your first substantive post about the upcoming season generally comes in early to mid-November...

The fact that it is coming in late August means that the General is giddy as a kid on Xmas morning about the upcoming season...

Yep! I'm not going to lie, I've had this year tagged in my mind as Boeheim's last best chance to bring home a title since I was hoping Bryant was going to be our center. A lot has changed, but they have manged to get a round peg for every round hole. I don't think they are the favorites going into the season, but I think they are close, and I think they will be very very good.

Boeheim likes big back courts and is thinner at guard than forwards/centers. If White plays in the forward position, that leaves only 3 guards, not ideal. I think at the very least White will rotate between SG and SF, depending on fouls and match ups. How JB sets up his rotation will be very interesting this year.

Frankly, I think DC is going to be the surprise player this year. Not Xmas good, but better than he's ever shown us he could be.
Is this based on his play this off season or simply your understanding of his injury and all his time off? He always seems so close to me, like a light bulb just went off. But then he makes the same ole mistake as before. I hear people say all the time he has no ability to elevate yet sometimes i see him elevate just fine and get the ball above the rim. Other times he gets in awkward positions and has no elevation whatsoever. Must be frustrating for him, he was such a huge prospect at one time obvviously. Like almost everyone would agree, DC has a great attitude on the court and on the bench. Would very much like to hear more stories how he and PC match up against ea other in practice...

Is this based on his play this off season or simply your understanding of his injury and all his time off? He always seems so close to me, like a light bulb just went off. But then he makes the same ole mistake as before. I hear people say all the time he has no ability to elevate yet sometimes i see him elevate just fine and get the ball above the rim. Other times he gets in awkward positions and has no elevation whatsoever. Must be frustrating for him, he was such a huge prospect at one time obvviously. Like almost everyone would agree, DC has a great attitude on the court and on the bench. Would very much like to hear more stories how he and PC match up against ea other in practice...
Really, not much more than the fact that he's a former Burger Boy who has never been healthy. By all reports, he's finally there. Hope springs eternal

Boeheim likes big back courts and is thinner at guard than forwards/centers. If White plays in the forward position, that leaves only 3 guards, not ideal. I think at the very least White will rotate between SG and SF, depending on fouls and match ups. How JB sets up his rotation will be very interesting this year.

???

We usually have a three player backcourt rotation most years. That White could fill in as the fourth guard provides quality depth, protects against injuries, etc. It doesn't put us at a disadvantage that he might play 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom