Ticky tack fouls and the future of hoops | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ticky tack fouls and the future of hoops

The arbitrary nature of calls and the constant scorers table stuff is a general turn off for my kids. And when they play it’s very much pick and choose what refs call.

My son just finished a lax game and maybe there were 6 penalties. Much crisper less arbitrary.

And that call sucked. There’s contact and feet shuffling all game long and a final four slot got decided on that? Absurd
Try watching professional soccer. All spontaneous excitement from the crowd is gone because once a goal goes in everyone waits for video review to see if there's any basis for throwing the goal out.

The constant flopping, moving screens, reviews, and whining to officials is way more annoying to me than ticky tack fouls.

But re: the kids opinions, I’ve seen some studies basically saying most kids that age don’t like any sports anymore, basketball or otherwise. And professional leagues are privately panicking that they won’t have fans left in a couple decades.
That’s completely overwrought. There are still millions of teens who love sports. There’s a lot of competition for time and attention, and I’m a zealot in preaching that sports leagues (and conferences) take fans for granted which will have serious long term consequences.

But “no fans left” is preposterous.

As I just watched the end of the Creighton-San Diego State game, I’m curious to get people’s opinion…

My 15 year old son is a gigantic sports fan. He’ll watch just about anything. But in the past couple years he’s cut way back on his basketball watching. And when we watch together he’s constantly complaining about how soft the sport is, particularly fouls.

The constant touchy stuff that gets called makes the sport nearly unwatchable to him.

Now, he might very well be an outlier. But I’m curious to hear if anyone else’s kids feel the same way.

I’ve spilled a lot of virtual ink here about how I feel hoops is ridiculously over officiated. But I’m a grumpy middle aged man. I’ve been surprised to see a concurring opinion from my teenager.

What say you, Syracusefan?
Same thing with one of my sons. He won’t watch college basketball anymore

Some of this conversation is funny. If it was Cuse in the position of either team you would all be going crazy one side or the other arguing it should have been called or it shouldn’t have been called depending which side Syracuse was on.

I think we have to demand better of our officials. They should be evaluated and those that are found lacking should be replaced. I believe the job pays well. It should never be a problem to find really good officials.
Is this sarcasm?

As I just watched the end of the Creighton-San Diego State game, I’m curious to get people’s opinion…

My 15 year old son is a gigantic sports fan. He’ll watch just about anything. But in the past couple years he’s cut way back on his basketball watching. And when we watch together he’s constantly complaining about how soft the sport is, particularly fouls.

The constant touchy stuff that gets called makes the sport nearly unwatchable to him.

Now, he might very well be an outlier. But I’m curious to hear if anyone else’s kids feel the same way.

I’ve spilled a lot of virtual ink here about how I feel hoops is ridiculously over officiated. But I’m a grumpy middle aged man. I’ve been surprised to see a concurring opinion from my teenager.

The tournament has been ref’d very lightly. Lots of “let em play” physicality.

The call on Creighton was just the right call. It was bad defense. There was a clear push to the midsection that was unnecessary. Bad defense on that play and great defense leading to poor shooting decided the game not poor officiating.

To many tv timeouts is what drives me crazy. Game flow always suffers when there are so many stoppages. I would cut the time outs in half. Let the half time be all commercials

Is this sarcasm?
Honestly I feel like how refs are evaluated is an existential crisis facing sports the closer leagues cozy up to $$$.

The more immunity refs are given w/o explanation, and the larger amount of fans with money on the game, there could be serious asteroid dinosaur issues coming if things are not made more transparent

Is this sarcasm?
No, I think that officials should stop being allowed personal interpretation of rules and call fouls as described in the rulebook. They are there to enforce rules, not effect the outcome of games. Call every foul and let the coaches and players adapt to those rules. I don't believe that it's an easy job, and certainly calls are missed, but too often it seems that officials are calling games as they see fit instead of following the rulebook.

To many tv timeouts is what drives me crazy. Game flow always suffers when there are so many stoppages. I would cut the time outs in half. Let the half time be all commercials
Pause the game to start, watch something else for like 35 min, restart the game after and FF thru commercials. You’re welcome

I can't believe that Creighton dude threw the ball endline to endline. Can he play QB?

Most of the folks on here saying that was a clear foul on Creighton would be apoplectic if Syracuse was called for that same foul in the final seconds of a big game.
I’d be more upset by the blow by defense

Try watching professional soccer. All spontaneous excitement from the crowd is gone because once a goal goes in everyone waits for video review to see if there's any basis for throwing the goal out.

I will never watch professional soccer.

The constant reviews ruin the flow of the game and takes away a lot of excitement and energy at the end of games. I hate it.

They spent how many minutes to see if the ball hit the rim early in the second half of the Miami game? It’s stupid make the judgement and play on.

I’m more concerned with the excessive video reviews.
And the players should have to remain on the court while the refs go to the booth.
More and more I think adding video reviews to sports was a mistake. It hasn’t fixed anything.

The wrong team still wins sometimes because the most important plays aren’t even reviewable. Even plays that are reviewable often are ruled incorrectly. And on top of all that, it unnecessarily lengthens the game and makes it more difficult/less exciting to watch.

More and more I think adding video reviews to sports was a mistake. It hasn’t fixed anything.

The wrong team still wins sometimes because the most important plays aren’t even reviewable. Even plays that are reviewable often are ruled incorrectly. And on top of all that, it unnecessarily lengthens the game and makes it more difficult/less exciting to watch.

I credit the NBA for going away from reviewing out of bounds calls under 2 min left, other than if a team challenges it. The end of college games is just brutal with all the reviews. We're trying to dissect if the clock starts right away after a touch or .2 seconds after when that level of precision is just ridiculous to try and pin down, especially when we don't care about it for the first 38 minutes.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, basketball is supposed to be a non-contact sport; the way the refs call it, or don't call it, results in lots of contact that is not called a foul.

I credit the NBA for going away from reviewing out of bounds calls under 2 min left, other than if a team challenges it. The end of college games is just brutal with all the reviews. We're trying to dissect if the clock starts right away after a touch or .2 seconds after when that level of precision is just ridiculous to try and pin down, especially when we don't care about it for the first 38 minutes.
It sucks because nothing will be perfect, on one hand I want the correct call, on the other hand I don’t want the last 1:30 lasting 20 minutes.

The shift ban is great. Batters have had two decades to “learn” how to hit past it. They won’t because there’s no incentive given the three true outcome approach to the game.

Pitch clock is great. 3 batter relief rule is great. Oversized bases is great.

Baseball is doing what they should have done 20+ years ago.
It so sure I get the advantage of bigger bases.

Agree with young Scooch.

That last hand on the hip call on Creighton should not have been called. It was a physical game and many plays with more contact went uncalled.

And the decision to ignore that there was clearly time left on the clock was unacceptable. If you go to the replay, you have to accept what it shows. Not sometimes ignore it because it results in a tough call the refs apparently did not feel like making.

Be consistent. At least try to be consistent.
It was a push in the back, while he was shooting. Absolutely impacted the shot. Play better defense. Should have gone 2-3 zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom