Time is Ticking w Fab... | Syracusefan.com

Time is Ticking w Fab...

newmexicuse

All Conference
One week and counting.

If Fab is gone long enough there will be a point in time when even if he does return that that there would be serious regression due to factors such as loss of conditioning, not maintaining skills & timing through practice, loss of that magic chemistry with his teammates, etc.

My best guess is that window of time might be a couple of weeks. Any longer and our FF hopes will be diminished even if he does get back in time for the dancathon.

This is the ultimate bummer. Second time in three years that we have a legit potential FF squad & our chances get dashed by the loss of our starting center.

yeah, that doesn't happen in a week or two, you're at panic level 9 ... we need you at about a 3.

"We would have won it all if we had Fab!!"

Im just looking forward to those threads in March...

I generally agree the longer Fab is out it the harder it will be to get back to game form/shape. Since he's able to practice with the team, etc. he will stay in good shape. But there's no way you can simulate true game decisions and the pressure to perform that goes with it in practice...that's where I see the potential damaging affect...

This is completely different that the Arinze situation. Losing him so late in the season coupled with the fact that we had a backup who clearly was not ready to play at that level was what ultimately hurt us. If Fab is declared out for the season there still is time to work through the kinks to get these guys ready.

AO' team, no doubt. This team even if healthy, big doubt.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

March? Heck, I already have Drummond marked down for 25 and 10 in each of the UConn games if Fab isn't back. With Fab, Drummond is a limited factor on offense. Without Fab, he is Uber Jack Cooley.

1. Wes Johnson was in good shape practicing with team for a year and was game ready day #1
2. Fab, if coming back, is not coming back from an injury...maybe that is what it is...a brain fart
3. This team is better able to handle his missing a few games due to guard and wing orientation on offense and xmas and keita in middle...
--wondering what keita's regression is caused by...did hand really heal

So not so worried if Fab comes back Saturday or a couple of weeks from now...he will be in game shape physically...mentally is another question

This is completely different that the Arinze situation. Losing him so late in the season coupled with the fact that we had a backup who clearly was not ready to play at that level was what ultimately hurt us. If Fab is declared out for the season there still is time to work through the kinks to get these guys ready.

Absolutely there's time to adjust, that was a bit evident with the play of Rak from just the ND game to the Cincy. However, as many have eluded to over the past few days in other threads, there is nobody on the team that can account for his sheer presence.

A long run in the BET will get him back in shape if it takes a month to resolve. And if it does, then Xmas and Baye have that long to settle in.

happens unfortunately. Carolina loses Strickland who was their best perimeter defender by far and the only backup PG to Marshall. ND loses Abro, Purdue loses Hummel 2 straight seasons. I hope this team and coaching staff is a little more optimistic and doesnt play the we have no chance game like a lit of people do on here.

Judging by your posts you are definitely looking forward to those threads.

I, like other fans are looking forward to the "We won it all!! Thank god we got Fab back" posts.

I think the point that most are missing is that FAB is not currently playing at a level that gets us to the Final Four and that is a piece of the reason our half court offense has had some difficulties against better teams. Our best chance to reach the final four this season is not if Fab simply plays, but if Fab continues to develop his offensive game over the course of the remaining games so that he can be a more consistent offensive threat when tournament time rolls around. He has show flashes here and there, but nothing consistent yet. Think Rony Seikaly during the 87 team's run to the championship game. That would make us a much more potent offense and a much harder team to deal with.

Doesn't mean we can't win without him or without consistent offense from him, just means we are a much more pedestrian team in those situations.

AO' team, no doubt. This team even if healthy, big doubt.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

I dont get this at all. We were undefeated and No. 1 in the country with Fab. Not sure why that creates a big doubt, or at least a bigger doubt than the 2009 team.

I generally agree the longer Fab is out it the harder it will be to get back to game form/shape. Since he's able to practice with the team, etc. he will stay in good shape. But there's no way you can simulate true game decisions and the pressure to perform that goes with it in practice...that's where I see the potential damaging affect...
It's more complex than just Fab. Him being out changes the roles of a number of players, with positives & negatives to all of the changes. It's a GOOD thing that Rak will get more playing time and he could show dramatic improvements as the season progresses. But the offensive flow will change as well which may be good and bad too. JB was working to get Fab more engaged in the offense to help the perimeter guys. Rak nor BMK have been as involved though Rak has good instincts on the floor, e.g. the nice bouncepass he made against Cincinnati. Dion hasn't played as well without Melo though that could be a different issue entirely. JB has designed his offense & defense around starter minutes for Fab with BMK/Rak as a change-up. Without Fab, I think we're just easier to game-plan against with less complexity to our rotation, but that may not be all bad either. JB is a candidate for COY and now will have to work harder to earn it. I hope he succeeds.

It's more complex than just Fab. Him being out changes the roles of a number of players, with positives & negatives to all of the changes. It's a GOOD thing that Rak will get more playing time and he could show dramatic improvements as the season progresses. But the offensive flow will change as well which may be good and bad too. JB was working to get Fab more engaged in the offense to help the perimeter guys. Rak nor BMK have been as involved though Rak has good instincts on the floor, e.g. the nice bouncepass he made against Cincinnati. Dion hasn't played as well without Melo though that could be a different issue entirely. JB has designed his offense & defense around starter minutes for Fab with BMK/Rak as a change-up. Without Fab, I think we're just easier to game-plan against with less complexity to our rotation, but that may not be all bad either. JB is a candidate for COY and now will have to work harder to earn it. I hope he succeeds.

The biggest place I see the difference on Offense is that the pick and "roll" goes away almost completely. Fab was probably getting 25-50% of all attempts on the roll. With BK and Rak the guards dont really consider it (because if they do, JB has a warm seat waiting).

I think the point that most are missing is that FAB is not currently playing at a level that gets us to the Final Four and that is a piece of the reason our half court offense has had some difficulties against better teams. Our best chance to reach the final four this season is not if Fab simply plays, but if Fab continues to develop his offensive game over the course of the remaining games so that he can be a more consistent offensive threat when tournament time rolls around. He has show flashes here and there, but nothing consistent yet. Think Rony Seikaly during the 87 team's run to the championship game. That would make us a much more potent offense and a much harder team to deal with.

Doesn't mean we can't win without him or without consistent offense from him, just means we are a much more pedestrian team in those situations.

I diplomatically disagree. SU was 20-0 with Fab and his last outing against Pitt he had I believe 10 points and 10 rebounds, that's pretty solid level and if he had those same numbers in the Dance, I'd feel quite confident with our chances making the FF. Could he improve, certainly, but as is those are very solid numbers and enough imo to get to the promise land...

in 2009 we replaced Arinze with Dash Riley. Great kid but was about as ready to play as I would have been. I love to hear the comments of "JB should have played Riley more because he now would be ready and thats bad coaching, etc". Just pure comedic gold.

We have 2 serviceable players to try and replace Fab in BMK and Rak. The coaching staff is absolutely working with way more than they had to work with in 2009. In no way am I saying that these 2 will come in and do what Fab was able to do however they are much more game ready than Riley was. If we had Dash or BMK in 2009 to replace Arinze we would have been in the FF.

Losing the starting center doesn't explain away 4-16 in the past 35 years. (I didn't look up the numbers but that seems about right)

Losing the starting center doesn't explain away 4-16 in the past 35 years. (I didn't look up the numbers but that seems about right)

You do realize that Boeheim won it all in 2003 right? And has won 877 games overall. And been to 3 Final Fours? Has 5 BE tourney titles? 8 Regular Season BE titles? Has 346 BE wins? Won an Olympic gold medal coaching? And made it to the Hall of Fame?

You realize how dumb you sound with your stat, right?

I diplomatically disagree. SU was 20-0 with Fab and his last outing against Pitt he had I believe 10 points and 10 rebounds, that's pretty solid level and if he had those same numbers in the Dance, I'd feel quite confident with our chances making the FF. Could he improve, certainly, but as is those are very solid numbers and enough imo to get to the promise land...
Rak played well defensively against Cincinnati and may contribute more offensively as the 5 rather than the 4. He could be pretty decent by tournament time if he plays the 5 consistently. Who knows? But I'm ok with the gray uniforms too...after all, the Verizon Center is a home game for us, right?

There is more to JB than just his Sweet 16 resume. We were given a lot of bad matchups and had a lot of bad luck. The NCAA is clearly out to get us.

Not sure how you derived your response from my post. My initial response to the OP was basically in agreement the longer Fab was out the more difficult it would be for him personally to be effective as no matter how much you practice, exercise, etc., it does not come close to simulating the real thing...so I was implying the mental aspect...

Clearly agree we are not the same team without him as you've eluded to, I actually posted the same sentiment (albeit w/out detail) in a subsequent earlier post in this same thread.

Rak played well defensively against Cincinnati and may contribute more offensively as the 5 rather than the 4. He could be pretty decent by tournament time if he plays the 5 consistently. Who knows? But I'm ok with the gray uniforms too...after all, the Verizon Center is a home game for us, right?

Agree Rak played very well against Cincy...only time will tell how things proceed from here...I was just responding that Melo, even if he didn't improve a wink anymore this season, with numbers like 10 & 10 that's could enough imo to get us to the Final Four.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom