Time to be honest this program is a shell of what it once was | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Time to be honest this program is a shell of what it once was

And Coach is mid 70’s...just saying.
BD557D85-6B57-43B1-8861-424DD46E2990.jpeg

put bazley on the team and where are we. who knows. but we got to pick up the recruiting. and keep them.

Do you see an issue at all with comparing us to North Carolina State? Because I dont that think you thought that one through.

I wasn't comparing us to them just picking a team that might be looking good right now but is likely peaking early and will get dragged down to the bubble by February/March. ACC can be brutal.

We need to win 8 more games and not one and done in the ACCT and we'll get a bid.

And yet we seem to go to the Sweet Sixteen and Final Four more often than ANY chapter of our programs history. I cant stand negative "fans" like you. I'm not stupid, I can see a talent difference between the Derek Coleman era and now, but as far as results go in all that matters, you couldnt be further off. Sit still little man, theyll rally and this thread will become another embarrassment for you. Buddy will become a nice overall player for us and guys like you who bashed Rautins will be proven wrong by Coach Boeheim yet again. Will we be the 32-3 type team you speak of? Probably not but I'll take the type of success in March that we've had in the last 10 years. Was today painful...oh yes...but listening to fans like you is my biggest pain. This predictable misguided, flat out false rant is so old and so dull it ALMOST doesn't bother me anymore. Now step aside while the real FANS enjoy watching OUR team get better, gel & become yet another beast in March.
If I was a mod this type of attack on another poster should at least get a warning. Uncalled for. This season has been tough to watch. It’s been 5 years since we had a team that didn’t have to sweat selection Sunday. Fans have every right to be sad, frustrated and questioning if the program is rotting out. Telling people they’re not “real fans”? That’s just so ignorant and arrogant.

And yet we seem to go to the Sweet Sixteen and Final Four more often than ANY chapter of our programs history. I cant stand negative "fans" like you. I'm not stupid, I can see a talent difference between the Derek Coleman era and now, but as far as results go in all that matters, you couldnt be further off. Sit still little man, theyll rally and this thread will become another embarrassment for you. Buddy will become a nice overall player for us and guys like you who bashed Rautins will be proven wrong by Coach Boeheim yet again. Will we be the 32-3 type team you speak of? Probably not but I'll take the type of success in March that we've had in the last 10 years. Was today painful...oh yes...but listening to fans like you is my biggest pain. This predictable misguided, flat out false rant is so old and so dull it ALMOST doesn't bother me anymore. Now step aside while the real FANS enjoy watching OUR team get better, gel & become yet another beast in March.
I've been trying figure out how to generally say what you have. In all of JB's years exactly how many teams has he had that could be top 3 in the ACC since SU joined the ACC? Before the season, this team was projected in what the top 3? 5? In the ACC. And that was not by SU fans but the press in general. Did the talent warrant that? That projection was based on the team playing "D" like they did in last years in the tourney AND progressing from there. And they haven't. We have seen sports. When the team figures out that they have to play 40 minutes that way, they will compete. Top 5, no. Can they do it before it's to late? That's why we watch.

I wasn't comparing us to them just picking a team that might be looking good right now but is likely peaking early and will get dragged down to the bubble by February/March. ACC can be brutal.

We need to win 8 more games and not one and done in the ACCT and we'll get a bid.

You're totally not getting it, as evidenced by talking about how "we need to win 8 more games." To get a bid.

Dude. This was supposed to be the year we didn't have to have that discussion.

And yeah you were comparing us to NC State.

The worst part is I don't think we will see any changes till Buddy graduates and JB retires.
By that time it will be to late. The school has had a habit of letting coaches hang around too long. Guley in basketball 26 losses in a row. Ben stayed too long, PP stayed to long,Jim, Desco, unless he turns it around this year.

Sure but most of the ACC is on the bubble only maybe 3-4 teams a year aren't and 8-9 teams ultimately get in. You don't think someone like NC St won't go on a 4-5 game losing skid and their bid be in jeopardy?

UNC only has one less loss than us and Ville who spanked them on the road by 20 has the same record.

Im sure we can join the Aack if an easy path to the dance is the priority. Fact is we have to get lucky with recruits who leave after a year or two to have regular seasons like our first in the ACC but even then a year like this will follow after the leave.

The real issue is that every returning player on this team has regressed BIG TIME since the sweet 16 last year. But thats not enough for me to throw in the towel.

I think we have a much easier path in the ACC than AAC. The ACC is more top-heavy this year than in recent past. There are 5-6 teams with no chance of an at-large berth (Wake, BC, Pitt, Miami, for starters) and more opportunities for signature wins. In the AAC, we'd need to finish top-3 to feel comfortable. I think we'd have a better chance of finishing 7th to 9th in the ACC than top-3 in the AAC.

Sadly, the only March run this year is going to be in the NIT

a competent offensive plan would go a long way to curing what ails us
It was always going to be an ugly grind to 10-11 ACC wins.

We were never winning more than that.

I thought GT played very well. Just because they had their own OOC struggles doesn't make them bad. We are 2-1 in league play not 0-3.

Anyone who follows this team knew 1 or 2 of these were coming in the ACC season at least it wasn't Pitt.

Pitt may beat SU. Twice. Capel has turned around that program in one year.

The “Boeheim’s done” side of the fence is suddenly getting a lot of folks ready to invest in real estate over here.

I hate to say I told you so, but I’ve been banging this drum for almost two years now. Boeheim’s done. He should have retired/been relieved two years ago before we lost Hopkins for good. That 16’ F4 saved him, IMO.

His ego is burying the proud program that he built. (Along with Melo, DC, and others).

a competent offensive plan would go a long way to curing what ails us

It’s not just the offensive gameplan. It’s also the players we’re putting on the floor. Howard never was —and never will be — a point guard. He’s a combo guard. He doesn’t get his teammates into the offense and can’t penetrate or pass particularity well. That’s a problem when you don’t hdbf a legitimate center and the others don’t drive well to the basket. When outside shots don’t fall, you get a game like tonight. There will be other games like this.

The 2006-13 Big East was just as tough as the ACC is.

We had better players then. We don’t have one future NBA player right now IMO.

From about 1995-2005 the ACC was clearly better. The Big East was a bit down depth wise. But you are correct in our last nice stretch in the Big East it was just as good as the ACC, and some years a bit better.

When the game started I looked at GT, rather unathletic, small, etc and though this was the type of ACC team (when we joined the conference) that we should blow out of the water.

The sluggishness of our offense is just something to behold. Frank is in Edelin land of malaise starting this offense.

Don’t worry, we will make the Elite 8 magically and everyone will forget how bad we are. We will talk about how great we will be next season all summer long! Rinse and repeat.

Don’t worry, we will make the Elite 8 magically and everyone will forget how bad we are. We will talk about how great we will be next season all summer long! Rinse and repeat.

At 11-6, 2-2... they'll be lucky to be on the bubble.

at his age is boeheim simply coasting on past success or going pedal to metal to keep this program on top ?

Last edited:
Fubar!

At 11-6, 2-2... they'll be lucky to be on the bubble.

This team has NIT written all over them...

Maybe they'll muster something before the end of the season... We know they are capable of ratcheting up the defense at least (based on how they closed last season).

The offense is worse tho... Very bad. Not sure they can hide that massive wort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom