Time to Realize: B1G wants and needs the EAST and mid-Atlantic | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Time to Realize: B1G wants and needs the EAST and mid-Atlantic

Funny how many people (not all, for sure) poo pooed the Pinstripe Bowl as a crap bowl...and SU having played 2X there basically got the bowl booby prize. Now, the Big 10 is all hot about it and so is the ACC. Same for advertising in Yankee Statdium. Funny how things work out. I joked about it before but Syracuse was ahead of the curve on both.

NYC has become the ACC vs B1G battleground.

NYC has become the ACC vs B1G battleground.

Delaney ... come out to play-ay!!

the-warriors-photo0.jpg

The B1g will roll all of their top teams into NJ to take on Buttgers with the hope that a steady diet of Michigan, OSU, PSU, MSU will wow the locals to becoming B1g fans...not critical that they be Buttgers fans, just B1G.

The whole love fest presser yesterday with Delany with the Yankee/Yes top execs was bizarre. Why have it with just one conference participant? Why not have it when you have both conferences?

If one is all set, you may as well announce it with some fanfare before it is leaked all over the place anyway (I know that we message board geeks were clued in long ago, but that isn't a major population segment).

Delany talking about the Pinstripe Bowl
Delany said the Big Ten will not be locked into sending a team from a specific slot in the standings to the Pinstripe Bowl -- or to any of its bowls outside the College Football Playoff system.
"All of us in college football are making an effort to sort of change from a system of pure selection to a system of working with the bowl and the conference to place a team that makes sense," he said. "That means for us we're going to try to get over an 8-year period, a minimum of six and a maximum of eight different teams here.

The non-slot method Delany describes is the Pinstripe's way to quickly up it's profile. I'd imagine the process for a conference to be able to arrange that is time-consuming considering any agreements they already have (real or handshake) with their current bowls. Bowls that already have first or second choice aren't going to let that go to get more variety.

Since I'm sure the Pinstripe is paying a premium to finagle that type of agreement from the B1G, they are going to insist on similiar quality opponents. Locking up one conference, especially a major one, puts additional pressure on the ACC (or other suitor) to take control of their selection process and git-r-done. Still going to take some time and a series of negotiations, which are further complicated by the likely inclusion of Notre Dame in the agreement (or at least certain attempt by the Pinstripe to tie the Irish in).

Kaiser is one of our board's top posters who speaks from the hip and doesn't hide his opinions.

I appreciate his candor. I respect people who let me know where they stand on an issue, even if we disagree.

I think the ACC should move the basketball tournament between MSG and Greensboro and just leave the Football Championship in Charlotte.

That set up could work. And, it might be the best idea in the long run.

It will take a little convincing for some of the schools, though. Charlotte has had some great tournaments, and the league seems committed to being in Atlanta more often.

Charlotte airport is a US airways hub for SU fans when we make the Championship game hopefully, and the 4 NC schools, Clemson, Virginia Tech fans should be able to pack if they make it to the game. When I went 2 years VPI-Clemson the BOA crowd was great, but last year was weak because of a 6-6 Georgia Tech team and Florida State disappointing turnout from its fans.

I think the ACCCG last season was an aberration. We got crowds of over 70,000 for both FSU-VPI (2010), and, Clemson-VPI (2011). And the 2010 CCG had some sleet and freezing rain at the time, IIRC. We need fans of schools not in the game to show up, and, make it an event. Playing in Charlotte has been a great move, 2012 aside. I think it will be in the future, too.

as for the bottom 4 bowls id expect us to keep military(#8) and new Detroit one(#9) and either independence or liberty(as #7)

I'd expect the ACC to take the Liberty Bowl. Its an older and more prestigious bowl. And, I am 100 percent certain ACC fans would prefer a trip to Memphis over a trip to Shreveport anytime during the year.

The B10 network is built upon a cable subscription model that is basically a walking dinosaur. In 5-10 years, cable will go the way of landline phones. Their whole reasoning for taking Rutgers and Maryland was obsolete the moment it occurred.

If the ACC can establish dominance in the digital realm, say an ACC app along the lines of Watch ESPN, I believe it can come out on top. With Google pushing internet providers with Google Fiber, everyone in the country will likely have at least 1GB worth of internet access within the next decade. This will be enough bandwidth to immediately boot up an app and watch a game in crystal clear HD, whether on your computer or smart TV.

Let's be the conference of the future. Not the old-fashioned rust belt that is the B10.

An outstanding post. Well done.

If one is all set, you may as well announce it with some fanfare before it is leaked all over the place anyway (I know that we message board geeks were clued in long ago, but that isn't a major population segment).

The non-slot method Delany describes is the Pinstripe's way to quickly up it's profile. I'd imagine the process for a conference to be able to arrange that is time-consuming considering any agreements they already have (real or handshake) with their current bowls. Bowls that already have first or second choice aren't going to let that go to get more variety.

Since I'm sure the Pinstripe is paying a premium to finagle that type of agreement from the B1G, they are going to insist on similiar quality opponents. Locking up one conference, especially a major one, puts additional pressure on the ACC (or other suitor) to take control of their selection process and git-r-done. Still going to take some time and a series of negotiations, which are further complicated by the likely inclusion of Notre Dame in the agreement (or at least certain attempt by the Pinstripe to tie the Irish in).

they don't need to put nd in the agreement as we have already agreed that notre dame shares all our non orange/access bowl spots

It will take a little convincing for some of the schools, though. Charlotte has had some great tournaments, and the league seems committed to being in Atlanta more often.

I agree it will take convincing and no offense, but Charlotte isn't even close to MSG. The Big East Tournament was great. Charolotte is not great. Not even close. The difficult part about MSG is they will want a tenant every year. Even if the ACC wants MSG, they probably won't agree to do it every year.

I agree it will take convincing and no offense, but Charlotte isn't even close to MSG. The Big East Tournament was great. Charolotte is not great. Not even close. The difficult part about MSG is they will want a tenant every year. Even if the ACC wants MSG, they probably won't agree to do it every year.

they already technically have a tenant every year the great American athletic conference

Despite Gee's denials to the contrary, the rumor I heard (and I suspect your source is way more knowledgeable) was that SU's potential invite to the BiG was contingent on Notre Dame and that ND, SU, and Pitt had a gentlemen's agreement that either they all went to the BiG together or they stay in the Big East and try and make that work.

For whatever reason, the BiG move didn't work out and they tried to make the BE work, with ND and Pitt being the prime movers in bringing about the TCU invite (although WVU fans still credit Luck with that for some reason) as #9. Things fell apart when it came to #10. Things start to move again with A&M openly flirting with the SEC, the ACC worried that an eastern SEC add might come from their ranks, Pitt being courted by the Big 12 for expansion to 12 and to try and get ND as a partial, leading to the ACC offering SU and Pitt and ND's uncharacteristic response to that move.
The BE rejection of the ESPN TV deal in May of 2011 had to play a big part in this as well. The whole #10/Villanova thing hurt, but getting to 10 wasn't enough. 'Nova might've worked had it been part of a 3-school expansion to 12. I haven't read anything here over the years to suggest that getting to 12 was even discussed.

Oh well... long past time to move on. Only 26 days to go!

they already technically have a tenant every year the great American athletic conference
You mean the C-7 Big East. The AAC is still shopping for a location, with Memphis being the apparent leading candidate.

The B10 network is built upon a cable subscription model that is basically a walking dinosaur. In 5-10 years, cable will go the way of landline phones. Their whole reasoning for taking Rutgers and Maryland was obsolete the moment it occurred.

If the ACC can establish dominance in the digital realm, say an ACC app along the lines of Watch ESPN, I believe it can come out on top. With Google pushing internet providers with Google Fiber, everyone in the country will likely have at least 1GB worth of internet access within the next decade. This will be enough bandwidth to immediately boot up an app and watch a game in crystal clear HD, whether on your computer or smart TV.

Let's be the conference of the future. Not the old-fashioned rust belt that is the B10.
cable or some form of the way its provided......is not going away.

i dont want this digital bullshlit on a telephone.

i want MSG, YES, espn the ACCNetwork etc...on my 60" screens.

why the F would i want to watch sports on an iphone/pad??

stupid stupid stupid.

Oh Lord

stupid stupid stupid.

Oh Lord

Landline phones aren't going away, big reason is the way they are sold with cable /internet. And when you grow up and own a house they come in handy.

This a la carte stuff seems foolish...ESPN pumps out the NFL, MLB, NCAA sports, NBA, documentaries, etc, etc on a nightly basis. People that think they can pay a couple of bucks for that a month are nuts. Cable will evolve but still be with us.

The BE rejection of the ESPN TV deal in May of 2011 had to play a big part in this as well. The whole #10/Villanova thing hurt, but getting to 10 wasn't enough. 'Nova might've worked had it been part of a 3-school expansion to 12. I haven't read anything here over the years to suggest that getting to 12 was even discussed.

Oh well... long past time to move on. Only 26 days to go!

The chronology of events really are fascinating, although I suspect the ultimate outcome was unavoidable.

The BE made a nice move in adding TCU for all sports, and then completely unwound that by trying to shoehorn 'Nova in as #10. My expectation was that they were on a path to then add UCF as an all-sports #11, and Navy as a football-only #12. But that's totally conjecture on my part.

stupid stupid stupid.

Oh Lord

In 5 years. the only kind of TV you will be able to buy will be a smart tv with internet access. So even you will be able to enjoy the digital experience straight from your 60" screen ;)

Landline phones aren't going away, big reason is the way they are sold with cable /internet. And when you grow up and own a house they come in handy.

This a la carte stuff seems foolish...ESPN pumps out the NFL, MLB, NCAA sports, NBA, documentaries, etc, etc on a nightly basis. People that think they can pay a couple of bucks for that a month are nuts. Cable will evolve but still be with us.

I have a land line, but no cable (rural--not offered in my area). However, I do get internet service via my phone company as well. Instead of cable, I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon, and the quality and selection is outstanding and getting better day by day. Plus I can pick and choose what I want to watch--love the a la carte ability. And most of the time, I watch the shows on my TV, and only occasionally on my computer. I agree watching a show on smart phone is not too smart unless you have vision like a hawk. True, I don't get any of the sports channels, but I can foresee the day in the near future where it will be offered via the internet like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc, etc. I can't see where cable is going to win out over the internet services over time--and I think the time frame is shrinking: http://www.technofileonline.com/texts/tec060213.html

Everyone does realize that 3 Big 10 schools (Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland) are closer to NYC than Syracuse? It would seem to me that the Big 10 already has a solid position in NYC.

Everyone does realize that 3 Big 10 schools (Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland) are closer to NYC than Syracuse? It would seem to me that the Big 10 already has a solid position in NYC.

Don't confuse geographic proximity with fan support.

Columbia, NYU and CCNY are in NYC. How many people care?

You do realize none of those schools are actually located in New York?

Sent using my Commodore 64

In 5 years. the only kind of TV you will be able to buy will be a smart tv with internet access. So even you will be able to enjoy the digital experience straight from your 60" screen ;)
i think i already have that tv and i enjoy my FIOS on it.

not sure what this digital crapola will do for me. doesnt seem really groundbreaking. my kids watch movies and stuff now on my ipad/phone so i can have a quiet dinner in public, which already makes digital redundant and useless.

Don't confuse geographic proximity with fan support.

Columbia, NYU and CCNY are in NYC. How many people care?

Penn State and Notre Dame are the two most popular college football teams in the NYC market, by a lot.

Michigan and Ohio State are always in the top 10, usually closer to the top 5.

This thread is kinda silly, the B1G has been "in" the NY market for years.

Some people really overthink this stuff.

You do realize none of those schools are actually located in New York?

Sent using my Commodore 64
nope, but their alumni are all over the damn place.

at 1st the volume of maryland alumni shocked me, now im used to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom