Time to Realize: B1G wants and needs the EAST and mid-Atlantic | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Time to Realize: B1G wants and needs the EAST and mid-Atlantic

I think the ACC is doing their part. Working on MSG for conference hoops tourney, grant of rights, and likely the opposite partner in the Pinstripe right?

Delany was in the booth tonight for a half inning with the YES crew. They asked him "Big 10 vs who? I'm sure you know but you can't say" Delany said "exactly. The Yankees are still negotiating with the other party". If that other party is the ACC, then the ACC gets their big promo day with the Yankee brass, and a sign, right? Plus as promos go, I think it's better to go last.

Who else could be that other party?

One would think that the Yankees want a Syracuse connection, right?

One would think that the Yankees want a Syracuse connection, right?

That's a great question. I LOVE the idea of the Pinstripe Bowl, and I'm grateful that we've had the opportunity to play there in 2010 / 2012, but let's also keep in mind that NYC in the dead of winter isn't a desirable bowl travel destination for many fanbases like a bowl in a warm climate.

Syracuse fans will travel to the Pinstripe due to proximity, and the presence of a large fanbase in the greater metro. Kind of a unique "connection."

I honestly don't remember any SU fans poo pooing the Pinstripe Bowl we were all ecstatic when we got the bowl in 2010 and last year we all wanted the Pinstripe Bowl so we wouldn't get shipped to Birmingham.

The Pinstripe Bowl isn't going to be an elite bowl even with ACC/B1G affiliation it can be a good second tiered bowl which us SU fans would love because its local for us, but it will never reach being a top tiered bowl. The ACC just needs to close the deal on the Pinstripe Bowl as it is obvious the B1G is declaring war on the ACC. I doubt the ACC will get the ads that the B1G will get those have to YES/FOX-B1G relationship more than Pinstripe Deal.
Syracuse has made this bowl interestingTwo fine wins against quality opponents.We draw very well down there. Of course the BT wants aneast coast presence. SAs long as its not SU let them keep trying. We can't afford the BT conference. Unless the $ coming into the program were to exponentially increase with our inclusion.

That's a great question. I LOVE the idea of the Pinstripe Bowl, and I'm grateful that we've had the opportunity to play there in 2010 / 2012, but let's also keep in mind that NYC in the dead of winter isn't a desirable bowl travel destination for many fanbases like a bowl in a warm climate.

Syracuse fans will travel to the Pinstripe due to proximity, and the presence of a large fanbase in the greater metro. Kind of a unique "connection."

not sure you can make that blanket statement - I think plenty of fans from many B10/ACC schools would like to have an excuse to travel to NYC around the holidays. Didn't K-State make a good showing in 2010 despite a not great season for their team and the Pinstripe being considered a lower tier bowl game? Make it a better matchup / Tier 2 level game and lots of fans would enjoy the unique NYC / Yankee stadium experience IMO.

I think the ACC is doing their part. Working on MSG for conference hoops tourney, grant of rights, and likely the opposite partner in the Pinstripe right?

Delany was in the booth tonight for a half inning with the YES crew. They asked him "Big 10 vs who? I'm sure you know but you can't say" Delany said "exactly. The Yankees are still negotiating with the other party". If that other party is the ACC, then the ACC gets their big promo day with the Yankee brass, and a sign, right? Plus as promos go, I think it's better to go last.

Who else could be that other party?

Th whole love fest presser yesterday with Delany with the Yankee/Yes top execs was bizarre. Why have it with just one conference participant? Why not have it when you have both conferences? It was made clear that the B1G is the anchor tenant for the bowl. I wouldn't be surprised if Delany blocks the ACC and they announce some other conference as the opponent. The B1G wants to claim the NYC/ northeast turf. Maybe they think it's more beneficial to keep the ACC out. Will be interesting to see but after yesterday I'm not optimistic. If that happens it will clearly signal the B1G's hostile intent and the ACC needs to gear up for a huge turf fight.

Th whole love fest presser yesterday with Delany with the Yankee/Yes top execs was bizarre. Why have it with just one conference participant? Why not have it when you have both conferences? It was made clear that the B1G is the anchor tenant for the bowl. I wouldn't be surprised if Delany blocks the ACC and they announce some other conference as the opponent. The B1G wants to claim the NYC/ northeast turf. Maybe they think it's more beneficial to keep the ACC out. Will be interesting to see but after yesterday I'm not optimistic. If that happens it will clearly signal the B1G's hostile intent and the ACC needs to gear up for a huge turf fight.

I don't know, we'll see. I think the B1G just locked up their side first, had their day. If the ACC gets the other slot, I think they'll get the same event. Whether the press covers it as tightly, who knows. B1G is still more of a household name, so I don't disagree that they're the anchor tenant. But if the other league signs the same length/payout deal, then each are equal partners in this.

I just can't imagine the Yankees brass letting Delany pick his opposing conference. Unless Delany picks the SEC. Outside of that, only the ACC makes sense if the Pinstripe is going to be a higher tier bowl.

You are right about DM not being a major player in making decisions about the future conference affiliation of Syracuse, but not about higher pay grades. Unless you are saying JB made the call to go to the ACC, which is of course also not correct...

No doubt. Marrone, coaches, etc. may hold some fiduciary duty, but in no way does it translate to the kinetic financial decisions, especially ones of this magnitude. Though, it is rather funny how this, much lower grade employee, actually earned considerably more than those branding such a higher grade stature. ;)

not sure you can make that blanket statement - I think plenty of fans from many B10/ACC schools would like to have an excuse to travel to NYC around the holidays. Didn't K-State make a good showing in 2010 despite a not great season for their team and the Pinstripe being considered a lower tier bowl game? Make it a better matchup / Tier 2 level game and lots of fans would enjoy the unique NYC / Yankee stadium experience IMO.

Some might--but I'm guessing that ceteris paribus, the vast majority of people would prefer to travel to a warmer climate than a winter climate for a bowl.

I don't disagree that NYC is a compelling lure.

Official to say Pinstripe Bowl is B1G vs. ACC. I hope the Yankees give the ACC a similar PC with Randy Levine instead of the Steinbrener brothers, and Swofford gets on YES chatting with Kay and co.
Jeremy Fowler@JFowlerCBS
$ACC bowl lineup almost done. Top six set, per source: Orange, Russell Ath, Music City/Gator (rotation), Belk, Pinstripe, Sun.
Jeremy Fowler@JFowlerCBS
ACC expects to keep three of these four bottom-tier bowls: Detroit, Military, AdvoCare, Liberty. That would make a nine-bowl lineup in 14-19

bigten won't want to play a non power 5 in any of there bowls so they will take acc. as for why bigten had there presser 1st easy the yankeees have wanted the bigten in the bowl since its inception and bigten got there deal done first as they were the top priority. I'd expect the acc presser either late this week or early next week

Official to say Pinstripe Bowl is B1G vs. ACC. I hope the Yankees give the ACC a similar PC with Randy Levine instead of the Steinbrener brothers, and Swofford gets on YES chatting with Kay and co.
Jeremy Fowler@JFowlerCBS
$ACC bowl lineup almost done. Top six set, per source: Orange, Russell Ath, Music City/Gator (rotation), Belk, Pinstripe, Sun.
Jeremy Fowler@JFowlerCBS
ACC expects to keep three of these four bottom-tier bowls: Detroit, Military, AdvoCare, Liberty. That would make a nine-bowl lineup in 14-19

need to make sure the Military in Annapolis is one of the 3 bottom-tier bowls being retained

We can't afford the BT conference. Unless the $ coming into the program were to exponentially increase with our inclusion.

Whuh?

as for the bottom 4 bowls id expect us to keep military(#8) and new Detroit one(#9) and either independence or liberty(as #7)

Kaiser is one of our board's top posters who speaks from the hip and doesn't hide his opinions.

Who on here hides his/her opinions? And Kaiser speaks from just a little WEST of his hips. (Insert appropriate emoticon here.)

the big is desperate- they just watered down the product for a few more pieces of gold-and are oblivious to the FACT the product is what made them the money in the first place-

the girls from joisey give you less than zero at basketball and not much more in football,and maryland just wants your money too stay afloat because they didnt have enough hindsight to see the acc was moving up and the money would be going up because of it-

lets see how this plays out in the next 10 years for the big- i doubt they have the same quality product as they have today-

I can't wait until Michigan rolls into College Park with 60% of the stadium.

The B10 network is built upon a cable subscription model that is basically a walking dinosaur. In 5-10 years, cable will go the way of landline phones. Their whole reasoning for taking Rutgers and Maryland was obsolete the moment it occurred.

If the ACC can establish dominance in the digital realm, say an ACC app along the lines of Watch ESPN, I believe it can come out on top. With Google pushing internet providers with Google Fiber, everyone in the country will likely have at least 1GB worth of internet access within the next decade. This will be enough bandwidth to immediately boot up an app and watch a game in crystal clear HD, whether on your computer or smart TV.

Let's be the conference of the future. Not the old-fashioned rust belt that is the B10.

I can't wait until Michigan rolls into College Park with 60% of the stadium.
That's all? 60%? I half expect UM, PSU and OSU to approach 75% and give the Terps a hearty welcome and slapdown. More so in the toxic tort state.

The B10 network is built upon a cable subscription model that is basically a walking dinosaur. In 5-10 years, cable will go the way of landline phones.
intel-smart-tv-ad.jpg

The BiG knows where the future is heading.

They already have an app called BTN2Go for BTN subscribers.

Cheers,
Neil

The B10 network is built upon a cable subscription model that is basically a walking dinosaur. In 5-10 years, cable will go the

way of landline phones.
intel-smart-tv-ad.jpg
Hey! Keep your hands off my landline phone.

And get off of my lawn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom