Time to Realize: B1G wants and needs the EAST and mid-Atlantic | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Time to Realize: B1G wants and needs the EAST and mid-Atlantic

i think i already have that tv and i enjoy my FIOS on it.

not sure what this digital crapola will do for me. doesnt seem really groundbreaking. my kids watch movies and stuff now on my ipad/phone so i can have a quiet dinner in public, which already makes digital redundant and useless.

When your kids are watching those movies on your iphone when your in public, they aren't watching via FIOS. When the day comes when you can pick and choose what you want to watch via the internet, whether on your TV or ipad/phone, seems like FIOS might be the technology that might become redundant and useless. Plus it will be a hell of a lot cheaper! Not a question of if, just a matter of when.

When your kids are watching those movies on your iphone when your in public, they aren't watching via FIOS. When the day comes when you can pick and choose what you want to watch via the internet, whether on your TV or ipad/phone, seems like FIOS might be the technology that might become redundant and useless. Plus it will be a hell of a lot cheaper! Not a question of if, just a matter of when.
so if i have it already, why do i need this fancy digital crap? just put it on FIOS. if the ACC puts this channel only on digital, i wont get it.

and since i wont get it, they wont just put it on digital, it will also be on my cable.

my kids arent watching live stuff, theyre watching taped things.

i lived in a world with a damn attena on my roof. we had cable in 1 room, attena fed tvs in the other. it sucked it was archaic. and now you want me to go back to a world where my live feed is coming back over the airwaves to my tv??? possibly choppy or gone because the jackass next door turned on his microwave, or the teenager on the otherside thought it would be funny to block my signal right as Eli is breaking out of a sack in SuperBowl 42??

no thank you.

give it to me by wire and i want every goddamn channel.

Oh Lord

boy has this thread done a 180...

so if i have it already, why do i need this fancy digital crap? just put it on FIOS. if the ACC puts this channel only on digital, i wont get it.

and since i wont get it, they wont just put it on digital, it will also be on my cable.

i lived in a world with a damn attena on my roof. we had cable in 1 room, attena fed tvs in the other. it sucked it was archaic. and now you want me to go back to a world where my live feed is coming back over the airwaves to my tv??? possibly choppy or gone because the jackass next door turned on his microwave, or the teenager on the otherside thought it would be funny to block my signal right as Eli is breaking out of a sack in SuperBowl 42??

no thank you.

Oh Lord

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'.

no thank you.

Oh Lord

bth_Ostrich.jpg
Agreed--time to end this part of the debate--getting a wee bit off topic. Hope we both live long enough to see who was right. ;)

Everyone does realize that 3 Big 10 schools (Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland) are closer to NYC than Syracuse? It would seem to me that the Big 10 already has a solid position in NYC.

FYI, you are incorrect about UMd and Penn State.

As the crow flies distances to NYC...

New Brunswick to NYC 28 miles
Syracuse to NYC 195 miles
College Park to NYC 196 miles
State College to NYC 202

Link

That being said, Penn State football is definitely big in the NYC area and they will bring a far bigger crowd for the game at MetLife than we will. We would get outdrawn for football by Michigan and Ohio State as well.

i think i already have that tv and i enjoy my FIOS on it.

not sure what this digital crapola will do for me. doesnt seem really groundbreaking. my kids watch movies and stuff now on my ipad/phone so i can have a quiet dinner in public, which already makes digital redundant and useless.

Not to mention, as Neil pointed out, that the Big 10 Network already has an app. That's how I watched the SU - Minny disaster last year, because I was at a beach house that did not have Big Ten Network. So to think that the Big 10 isn't going to keep up with technological changes is short sighted.

Agree with you and Bayside that thinking the cable TV industry and our razor thin 50+ inch TVs are going to go away anytime soon seems crazy.

FYI, you are incorrect about UMd and Penn State.

As the crow flies distances to NYC...

New Brunswick to NYC 28 miles
Syracuse to NYC 195 miles
College Park to NYC 196 miles
State College to NYC 202

Link

That being said, Penn State football is definitely big in the NYC area and they will bring a far bigger crowd for the game at MetLife than we will. We would get outdrawn for football by Michigan and Ohio State as well.
Google says 247 miles from SU to NYC.

Not to mention, as Neil pointed out, that the Big 10 Network already has an app. That's how I watched the SU - Minny disaster last year, because I was at a beach house that did not have Big Ten Network. So to think that the Big 10 isn't going to keep up with technological changes is short sighted.

Agree with you and Bayside that thinking the cable TV industry and our razor thin 50+ inch TVs are going to go away anytime soon seems crazy.

I think the notion is more that the B1G revenue projections are based on a soon to be outdated business model and that the additions of Rutgers and UMD were not a good move when you look to the near future.

When cable becomes a la carte a really starts to go away, so will all of the revenue the big ten sees through cable. At this point, the B1G is likely going to have to earn their revenue like everybody else; which in theory will be based on pure popularity of their member schools and how many customers are willing to subscribe to and pay for their content.

Make no mistake, they will do well here, these are huge schools with large alumni bases, however the addition of Rutgers and UMD are not so great when you view them through this lense rather than the cable whitewash model.

It’s time to stop whining and go on the offensive. The ACC wants and needs the state of Ohio.

First, the baby steps:

1. Work with the Detroit bowl to get the ACC logo displayed at Ford Field year round
  2. Invite Case-Western to the ACCIAC
  3. Put Indianapolis in the MBB ACC tourney rotation
  4. Put Pittsburgh in the rotation for the FB CG

Then, in a few years we will be ready to go for the jugular:
  1. Bring ND in full time along with Cincy.
  2. Hold the ACCT and the CG in Cincy and Cleveland.
  3. After tOSU cries for mercy, go after Pod state and their two new sidekicks

It’s time to stop whining and go on the offensive. The ACC wants and needs the state of Ohio.

First, the baby steps:

1. Work with the Detroit bowl to get the ACC logo displayed at Ford Field year round
  2. Invite Case-Western to the ACCIAC
  3. Put Indianapolis in the MBB ACC tourney rotation
  4. Put Pittsburgh in the rotation for the FB CG

Then, in a few years we will be ready to go for the jugular:
  1. Bring ND in full time along with Cincy.
  2. Hold the ACCT and the CG in Cincy and Cleveland.
  3. After tOSU cries for mercy, go after Pod state and their two new sidekicks

Ohio is going to the ACC. Those Bucks that are moving to Virginia and the Carolinas will have kids that are Hokies, Hoos, Wolfpack or whatever NCSU calls themselves, etc...

Penn State and Notre Dame are the two most popular college football teams in the NYC market, by a lot.

Michigan and Ohio State are always in the top 10, usually closer to the top 5.

This thread is kinda silly, the B1G has been "in" the NY market for years.

Some people really overthink this stuff.

I think they are "under-thinking" it. The idea that somehow the B1G is now much more of a factor in the NY because they added Rutgers is silly.

NYers and their neighbors watch and root for those teams they perceive to be "The Best". Right now "The Best" is the SEC. For years, in the East, it was Penn State.

If the B1G can convince NYers that their teams are the best, they will prosper. If not, they will do no better than they do today.

Google says 247 miles from SU to NYC.

The distances I listed, as I indicated, are as the crow flies...

nope, but their alumni are all over the damn place.

at 1st the volume of maryland alumni shocked me, now im used to it.

There certainly are a lot of Maryland alumni and supporters in Maryland. But as Bayside wrote recently, once you go over the Potomac River into Virginia, the support evaporates.

My experience is that Maryland fans are most interested in Basketball/ Football interest builds up when they are good. But the recent near bankruptcy of the UMCP athletic department proves just how disinterested they have been lately.

Everyone does realize that 3 Big 10 schools (Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland) are closer to NYC than Syracuse? It would seem to me that the Big 10 already has a solid position in NYC.
You do realize that Rutgers has been there for centuries and nobody in NYC cares.
You do realize that Rutgers has allegedly played football since 1869 and nobody in NYC cares.

You do realize that Rutgers has been there for centuries and nobody in NYC cares.
You do realize that Rutgers has allegedly played football since 1869 and nobody in NYC cares.
They have played in 8 bowls since 1869...and 6 were in the U.S. outside of the state of NJ!! Now, say they don't care about that!

I agree it will take convincing and no offense, but Charlotte isn't even close to MSG. The Big East Tournament was great. Charolotte is not great. Not even close. The difficult part about MSG is they will want a tenant every year. Even if the ACC wants MSG, they probably won't agree to do it every year.

I was not attempting to compare Charlotte to MSG. Even a big ACC homer like myself would not be crazy enough to make that comparison. ;)

With all due respect, Charlotte has indeed hosted some great ACCTs, as has Greensboro. As venues, neither can hold even a candle to MSG. But, the past tournaments in both places are a part of ACC lore that fans like me will always remember.

To our new conference friends, if the decision is made to move the ACCT to MSG, I will be 100 percent onboard. But, I will for sure miss Charlotte and Greensboro. Those tournaments may not be viewed as great in your eyes, because the BE Tournament was just such an incrdible event. But, those of us who are fans of the original ACC schools will never forget them.

I was not attempting to compare Charlotte to MSG. Even a big ACC homer like myself would not be crazy enough to make that comparison. ;)

With all due respect, Charlotte has indeed hosted some great ACCTs, as has Greensboro. As venues, neither can hold even a candle to MSG. But, the past tournaments in both places are a part of ACC lore that fans like me will always remember.

To our new conference friends, if the decision is made to move the ACCT to MSG, I will be 100 percent onboard. But, I will for sure miss Charlotte and Greensboro. Those tournaments may not be viewed as great in your eyes, because the BE Tournament was just such an incrdible event. But, those of us who are fans of the original ACC schools will never forget them.
I think everyone in most places, and stages of life longs for days gone by. I remember watching Jim Brown on television when he played in the cotton bowl, his last game as an Orangeman. Remember when the SU basketball team was the worst in existence, had to recruit Ernie Davis, John Mackey to play for them, set record for most consecutive losses. Opening of the carrier dome, start of Big East basketball, football conference, and now the move to the ACC. What makes life exciting is all the new beginnings, just wondering what great new things are just around the corner. I prefer to look at the ACC as the Caterpillar that became a beautiful Butterfly.

I think everyone in most places, and stages of life longs for days gone by. I remember watching Jim Brown on television when he played in the cotton bowl, his last game as an Orangeman. Remember when the SU basketball team was the worst in existence, had to recruit Ernie Davis, John Mackey to play for them, set record for most consecutive losses. Opening of the carrier dome, start of Big East basketball, football conference, and now the move to the ACC. What makes life exciting is all the new beginnings, just wondering what great new things are just around the corner. I prefer to look at the ACC as the Caterpillar that became a beautiful Butterfly.

Well said, sir. I tip my Carolina cap to you for that.

They have played in 8 bowls since 1869...and 6 were in the U.S. outside of the state of NJ!! Now, say they don't care about that!

Eight bowls, since 1869. Not sure how Rutgers squeezed them all in, but that is impressive and I concede your point. It probably was what won over the B1G. Well, that and the ESB was lit up in red once for Rutgers. I mean, who wouldn't be impressed by that.

How often do any of those schools appear on the back sports page of the NYC newspapers or get major coverage inside? Virtually never. Syracuse quite frequently, especially during basketball season. There's a reason for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom