To be Announced Soon: Louisville to Add Lacrosse | Syracusefan.com

To be Announced Soon: Louisville to Add Lacrosse

...to provide the 6th team to the ACC to make it an auto NCAA bid to champion. Has been discussed in AD meetings...this is good news...and provides more content for coming ACC Network...(more coming soon on the Football side)
It's Good to be 'Cuse!

Interesting, dont doubt you Arb but a Lville poster before mentioned Title 9 was a major obstacle for them adding Lax, I wonder what solution they came up with. Gotta give Lville some credit there Athletic Dept is fearless when it comes to spending and keeping there sports at a high level, will be interestign to see how they develop as a program, going to be some lean years down there to start.

Interesting, dont doubt you Arb but a Lville poster before mentioned Title 9 was a major obstacle for them adding Lax, I wonder what solution they came up with. Gotta give Lville some credit there Athletic Dept is fearless when it comes to spending and keeping there sports at a high level, will be interestign to see how they develop as a program, going to be some lean years down there to start.
No problem at all if they add men's and women's lacrosse.

No problem at all if they add men's and women's lacrosse.

I think its a bit more complicated then that according to the post I read, I think Lville needs to add more then just a mirror program.

Louisville will be going from 3 million a year to 15 million a year in TV money, if I trust any AD to make it work it be Tom Jurich. Title IX will not prevent Louisville from adding men's lacrosse as the increase in TV revenue and guarantees of playing SU, ND, UNC, Duke, UVA each year in lacrosse will make recruiting easier, and I think Louisville will add it if Arb is hearing that. I think Louisville can add the 14 men's Lax scholarships in a woman's sport pretty easily with that extra money. Do they even have women's lacrosse? If not, there are the scholarships to satisfy Title IX.

It's brutal enough to be a start up program (see Michigan and Marquette) ... But to be a start up in the ACC...

Ouch.

Awesome! Though I thought Pitt would get there before Louisville.

Louisville will be going from 3 million a year to 15 million a year in TV money, if I trust any AD to make it work it be Tom Jurich. Title IX will not prevent Louisville from adding men's lacrosse as the increase in TV revenue and guarantees of playing SU, ND, UNC, Duke, UVA each year in lacrosse will make recruiting easier, and I think Louisville will add it if Arb is hearing that. I think Louisville can add the 14 men's Lax scholarships in a woman's sport pretty easily with that extra money. Do they even have women's lacrosse? If not, there are the scholarships to satisfy Title IX.

um, that's $20M.

um, that's $20M.
I am starting on the lower end as the contract is backloaded, but still call it 17.5 million and Jurich will get Louisville men's lacrosse program and will find the scholarships for a women's sport to comply with Title IX.

I am starting on the lower end as the contract is backloaded, but still call it 17.5 million and Jurich will get Louisville men's lacrosse program and will find the scholarships for a women's sport to comply with Title IX.
Agreed. They will find a way. And you can bet that their Lax program will be very successful very quickly.

I am starting on the lower end as the contract is backloaded, bu
t still call it 17.5 million and Jurich will get Louisville men's lacrosse program and will find the scholarships for a women's sport to comply with Title IX.
Women's Lax stadium is pretty nice with seating for 1000 plus standing room. I'm thinking men's lines would be added and they would play there.
http://www.gocards.com/facilities/lou-facilities-lacrosse-stadium.html

LacrosseStadium.jpg

Agreed. They will find a way. And you can bet that their Lax program will be very successful very quickly.

I am sure they will find away but I have serious doubts they w2ill be successful very quickly, its one thing to start a Mens Div 1 team, its a whole other thing to be good at it. Michigan has had the best club team the past decade with multiple championships, they went Div 1 this year with a full schedule for the first time. There quite a few fans/people who thought they could have a decent season based on what they did at the club level, they didnt win a game and got there doors blown in by multiple teams. Teams like UVA, UNC, SU, Duke will be happy to welcome Lville but there also going to send a message, Lville will be in for a rough few years.

they are goign to have to expalnd field...thinkt he sun belt gets an auto soon...bring us to like 4-5 at large berths

they are goign to have to expalnd field...thinkt he sun belt gets an auto soon...bring us to like 4-5 at large berths
8 AQ bids this year. 9 next year if/when the Atlantic Sun conference receives its AQ. 2014 could add the ACC, if Louisville actually fields a program. Not sure of the amount of time (if any) they would need to become D-1 eligible. That's only 6 at-large bids. IMO, they need to go up to 20, with 2 'first round/play-in' games. This yields 4 more at-large berths.

As a Syracuse fan it sucks but as a lacrosse fan it’s fantastic. Marquette, Michigan, maybe Louisville, potentially Florida. All the new D2 and D3 schools. D2 expanding playoff to 8 teams. The more colleges playing lacrosse is the more opportunity my kids might have.

8 AQ bids this year. 9 next year if/when the Atlantic Sun conference receives its AQ. 2014 could add the ACC, if Louisville actually fields a program. Not sure of the amount of time (if any) they would need to become D-1 eligible. That's only 6 at-large bids. IMO, they need to go up to 20, with 2 'first round/play-in' games. This yields 4 more at-large berths.

The amount of AQ's has to match the amount of at large bids I believe.

As a Syracuse fan it sucks but as a lacrosse fan it’s fantastic. Marquette, Michigan, maybe Louisville, potentially Florida. All the new D2 and D3 schools. D2 expanding playoff to 8 teams. The more colleges playing lacrosse is the more opportunity my kids might have.

Its beneficial for Syracuse as well, it opens up even more recruiting areas for Syracuse who allready recruits nationally. All the expansion has also forced the old guard to double down, look at the incoming classes for the "historic" lax programs: SU, JHU, Duke, UVA, Maryland - They are absolutely loaded especially Syracuse, JHU and Maryland, trust me the old guard isnt going anywhere.

The amount of AQ's has to match the amount of at large bids I believe.
Is that new? Obviously, in recent years, that hasn't been the case (for example, before BE lax existed). At least I think so.

The WLAX tournament is up to 26 teams this year. The top 6 get a first round bye. So, the 2nd round has 16 teams. Will the MLAX tournament follow?

Is that new? Obviously, in recent years, that hasn't been the case (for example, before BE lax existed). At least I think so.

I read it on laxpower, not sure if its new or not, I believe the rule might be there cant be less at large bids then there are automatics.

I'm a Louisville fan and thought I'd chime in with a few thoughts (as this topic interests me quite a bit)

Interesting, dont doubt you Arb but a Lville poster before mentioned Title 9 was a major obstacle for them adding Lax.

UofL fully funds all of its athletic programs so its scholarship break down (at present) would look something like this

Men’s scholarships
Baseball = 11.7
Basketball = 13
Cross Country and Track and Field = 12.6
Football = 85
Golf = 4.5
Soccer = 9.9
Swimming and Diving = 10
Tennis = 4.5

Total = 151.2 (51.75% of all athletic scholarships)

Women’s scholarships
Basketball = 15
Cross Country and Track and Field = 18
Field Hockey = 12
Golf = 6
Lacrosse = 12
Rowing = 20
Soccer = 12
Softball = 12
Swimming and Diving = 14
Tennis = 8
Volleyball =12

Total = 141 (48.25% of all athletic scholarships )

Right now, UofL is compliant with all three areas of Title IX (participation, treatment, financial assistance). If UofL did decide to sponsor men's lacrosse, that would add 12.6 scholarships to the men's side and swing the men's scholarship percentages up to 53.75%. That might be enough of a bump to move UofL out of compliance with Title IX (I say might because figuring out if a school is compliant or not is a complex process and involves a lot of gray areas; e.g. what's considered "substantially proportionate").

If Louisville is required to sponsor a new women's sport to maintain gender equity, then things get a bit more complicated. Cost is always a concern when adding multiple new programs, though I don't think that that will be the main issue (the athletic department already has a very healthy revenue stream at present andthings will only get better with the move to the ACC). The biggest issue in my opinion is the fact that Louisville already competes in all of the women’s sports currently sponsored by the ACC. This means that any women's program added by UofL might be forced to find a conference home outside of the ACC (something that Jurich is not very keen on doing).

One potential solution to this issue might be to sponsor women's gymnastics. NCAA bylaws state that at least four institutions must sponsor gymnastics in order for a conference to hold a conference championship event. The ACC had planned to sponsor women's gymnastics as a 4 member conference sport but with Maryland leaving and only three potential member remaining (Pitt, UNC, and NC State), those plans were put on hold. If UofL had to add a women's sport to balance out the addition of a men's lacrosse team, then sponsoring women's gymnastics would not only keep UofL Title IX compliant but would also help the conference out as well.

With that said, I'm not sure how big of an issue Title IX will actually be. If you compare UofL's athletic department to UNC's, you'll find that UNC sponsors three more men's programs (lacrosse, fencing, and wrestling) than UofL but only two more women's program (fencing and gymnastics). Additionally, women make up a higher % of UNC's student population (58%) than they do of UofL's (52%). These two things lead me to believe that UofL might be able to add men's lacrosse only without having to worry about adding a corresponding women's sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom