To increase attendance to home games and seeing only about | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

To increase attendance to home games and seeing only about

Right!? I know the millennials are a different set. But wow ... seems like people are afraid to call them out for acting like selfish children. Someone should be adult enough to say, "hey, idiot, stop drinking and go support your team. Then go to the library and do some homework!" No wonder student attendance is down.

Sorry. As a "millennial" I can't stand this logic. So it is a requirement to go to football games?

Sorry. As a "millennial" I can't stand this logic. So it is a requirement to go to football games?
Nothing personal. But if you're one of the people in the photos .. the answer is pretty much yes. I think your time would be better spent supporting your University's football team, doing homework, or both. But it's up to you how to spend your time. They're precious years that go by fast.

The students don't owe a thing to the football or basketball team. It's a form of entertainment.

The word fan is short for fanatic- meaning those of us here are illogical for the time and money we waste on college kids running around on a field for a couple of hours 12 weeks a year. Don't project your illogical interests onto kids who are trying to ride the wave of getting laid and not failing out of school.

If they show up to the Dome on Saturdays, great. If they don't, then try to find more ways to get them there. But don't blame them. They or their parents are already giving the school $60k+ per year.

The students don't owe a thing to the football or basketball team. It's a form of entertainment.

The word fan is short for fanatic- meaning those of us here are illogical for the time and money we waste on college kids running around on a field for a couple of hours 12 weeks a year. Don't project your illogical interests onto kids who are trying to ride the wave of getting laid and not failing out of school.

If they show up to the Dome on Saturdays, great. If they don't, then try to find more ways to get them there. But don't blame them. They or their parents are already giving the school $60k+ per year.
Like I said, we need to take a hard look at the academic admissions standards.

I'm firmly in the "winning cures all" camp. But I don't think I've ever seen proper justice paid in these kinds of threads to the fact that young kids aren't watching sports like previously generations.

Sure, if you're at USC or Bama, the football game is the thing to do. Syracuse's culture is very far from that. I wouldn't be shocked if even when (not if!) Dino has this team humming, students aren't packing the place week in and out.

Some thoughts:
1. Winning cures a multiplicity of ills.
2. We have student attendance problems, too. See #1 as a help in lessening them.
3. We have non-student attendance problems, too. See #1 as a help in lessening them.
4. A reserved parking space in C'ville starts at a $600/year donation, if a spot is available. That lot is about half to three-quarters of a mile away (in flatter territory than Syracuse).
5. Our students get in "free" because admission to all regular-season athletic events is included in the Student Activity Fee, which is criticized for being one of the highest around.
6. YOU GUYS SELL BEER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Where do most people park for games? I spend lots of time in Charlottesville every year. Tough town to park in because there just isn't enough land and the geography of it messes things up. Meant for horses. Do people park down by JPJ and walk? Or somewhere on Barracks/Ivy/Emmett? Love that place, though.

Every generation thinks the ones that come after them are lazy and self-centered. It's like clockwork.

The truth is simple. The students will be fans and do student things when we give them a good reason to be fans: winning.

They are pretty much just like the leaf rakers, they just drink in groups.

this was atmosphere during MTSU game. outside of the dome.

In my long story short formed answer, more kids find this more fun than the football game. That's why they don't go to the games. Kids go to the basketball games because they are more fun than the football games (mainly because there is success there). Remember, most of the kids enrolled now probably never saw McNabb or even Dwight in college.

Nothing personal. But if you're one of the people in the photos .. the answer is pretty much yes. I think your time would be better spent supporting your University's football team, doing homework, or both. But it's up to you how to spend your time. They're precious years that go by fast.

Yeah I know it's nothing personal obviously. I'm not an SU Student ... but there's no obligation for student's to go to football games. The university doesn't give it any value, why should the students? I put some of the blame on the students but most of it on how the athletic department treats football when it comes to student ticketing.

Yeah I know it's nothing personal obviously. I'm not an SU Student ... but there's no obligation for student's to go to football games. The university doesn't give it any value, why should the students? I put some of the blame on the students but most of it on how the athletic department treats football when it comes to student ticketing.
The tickets are not free ... students (parents) have to pay for them, I think as part of the activity fee. Either way, I have nothing against college parties for juniors/seniors who are old enough. But keep it classy, right? These kids appear to be underage and are getting wasted on the roof of a rental property during a game. "Serious student" doesn't seem to belong here. At some point, the values of loyalty, maturity and school spirit should mean something for students who are actually growing up. If not, save money and go to a community college.

The tickets are not free ... students (parents) have to pay for them, I think as part of the activity fee. Either way, I have nothing against college parties. But keep it classy, right? These kids are getting wasted on the roof of a rental property during a game, and "serious student" doesn't seem to fit here. At some point, loyalty and school spirit should mean something. If not, save money and go to a community college.

I know exactly how student ticketing works and trust me... the university doesn't give the students reason to value the football games.

As far as their partying - you're out of reach. It was a great day to be outside (which syracuse doesn't have all that many of in the fall semester) and these kids are enjoying it. A few years back when I was in college I could have been at a party just like that. Doesn't make me a bad student. Nor does it make them bad students because they're partying. How about the student body who isn't at the game and ISN'T outside partying? You just chose to attack those whom you see not attending the game

I know exactly how student ticketing works and trust me... the university doesn't give the students reason to value the football games.

As far as their partying - you're out of reach. It was a great day to be outside (which syracuse doesn't have all that many of in the fall semester) and these kids are enjoying it. A few years back when I was in college I could have been at a party just like that. Doesn't make me a bad student. Nor does it make them bad students because they're partying. How about the student body who isn't at the game and ISN'T outside partying? You just chose to attack those whom you see not attending the game
You certainly learned how to form a straw man argument .. I'll give you that.

You certainly learned how to form a straw man argument .. I'll give you that.
Because you haven't been painting all students with a pretty broad brush. Sometimes I think people are just on this site to post the most ridiculous things for people to respond to them..

And it appears I've fallen into your trap.

Because you haven't been painting all students with a pretty broad brush. Sometimes I think people are just on this site to post the most ridiculous things for people to respond to them..

And it appears I've fallen into your trap.
Maybe you're proud of the photos, I'm not. No one's lambasting all students, or all "parties". My points were more limited, hence the phrase "straw man". I'm looking at a photo of underage binge drinking, and questioning students' priorities, their school loyalties and their commitment to education (to say nothing of the ABC law). You may disagree, but sorry, it looks like (early) HS. And at $60k a year, blowing off a FB game to do that is a waste of money and time. JMO.

Last edited:
Maybe you're proud of the photos, I'm not. No one's lambasting all students, or all "parties". My points were more limited, hence the phrase "straw man". I'm looking at a photo of underage binge drinking, and questioning students' priorities, their school loyalties and their commitment to education (to say nothing of the ABC law). You may disagree, but sorry, it looks like (early) HS. And at $60k a year, it seems like a waste of money and time. JMO.
Have you even tasted a beer? Like ever? Stuff is delicious!

Have you even tasted a beer? Like ever? Stuff is delicious!
Absolutely, Blizz. I'm a FINE MESS participant and I like IPA's. But that doesn't mean I get tanked and drive, or I blow off work and get so loaded I can't support my family (or my alma mater). My son attended SU, and I told him the same thing -- get your work done first, support your University, and then have fun in a professional manner. He did that, and I'm happy to report that he's been quite successful.

In school, I had the same attitude. First things first. The beer's not going anywhere.

So, once again, I'm not against parties. I'm just suggesting that there's a time and a place and a set of priorities that come before that.

Last edited:
Absolutely, Blizz. I'm a FINE MESS participant and I like IPA's. But that doesn't mean I get tanked and drive, or I blow off work to get loaded so I can't support my family. My son attended SU, and I told him the same thing -- get your work done first, support your University, and then have fun in a professional manner. He did that, and I'm happy to report that he's been quite successful.

In school, I had the same attitude. First things first. The beer's not going anywhere.

So, once again, I'm not against parties. I'm just suggesting that there's a time and a place and a set of priorities that come before that.
Dude, calm down. Glad to know you're all business. Just not sure how you can watch a few seconds of video and determine that a bunch of college kids are drinking underage and don't have their homework done.

Dude, calm down. Glad to know you're all business. Just not sure how you can watch a few seconds of video and determine that a bunch of college kids are drinking underage and don't have their homework done.
I'm calm, Blizz. No worries. And I wasn't "all" business. Just business first. My gripe with these kids is the binge aspect, their ages and the missing priorities. I have no idea whether they had their work done ... (I have my doubts). But I appreciate your POV.

Last edited:
Where do most people park for games? I spend lots of time in Charlottesville every year. Tough town to park in because there just isn't enough land and the geography of it messes things up. Meant for horses. Do people park down by JPJ and walk? Or somewhere on Barracks/Ivy/Emmett? Love that place, though.
The main parking areas are JPJ/University Hall (where Texan Mark had his splendiferous tailgate) and North Grounds (near the Law and Army JAG Schools). They are the free lots and you walk from there to the stadium. From U Hall/JPJ, it's a little easier to walk along Emmett to get to the stadium. There is a shuttle from the reserved handicapped area of the North Grounds lot. The pay garages are the Ivy Garage (Ivy Road between Emmett St and Copeley Road, which goes to the U Hall/JPJ complex), the South Parking Garage (on Monroe Lane near the Hospital), the Central Grounds Garage (on Emmett) and the Downtown Garage (owned by the City; I believe there's a pay shuttle from/to that garage). Ivy, South, and Central are owned by the University and it's $15 to park.

You can hope against hope and try to park in the neighborhoods along Gordon and Grady Avenues between 14th St. and Rugby Road. Usually Burnley and Rosser Aves off Rugby (just past TJ Unitarian Church) have places to park but you have to be careful about whether the area requires a resident sticker.

I'm just going to repeat what I said above:

"Are they college students or selfish adolescents who require constant entertainment ...?"
"

It may pain you to hear this, but students are looking to be entertained. The football product hasn't been "entertaining" in forever.

Absolutely, Blizz. I'm a FINE MESS participant and I like IPA's. But that doesn't mean I get tanked and drive, or I blow off work to get so loaded I can't support my family (or my alma mater). My son attended SU, and I told him the same thing -- get your work done first, support your University, and then have fun in a professional manner. He did that, and I'm happy to report that he's been quite successful.

Jesus, Reed, you're preaching way too hard in this thread. Stand down, buddy.

Jesus, Reed, you're preaching way too hard in this thread. Stand down, buddy.
No worries, Matt. I'm over it, reading the campus expansion thread. No doubt the product on the field would help. I get that, Matt. But part of that equation has to come from students. Supporting your school should mean something. SU shouldn't be like 13th grade. That's why I made the comment about admissions.

Last edited:
I get it, Matt. I'm over it, reading the campus expansion thread. No doubt the product on the field would help. I get that, Matt. But part of that equation has to come from students. Supporting your school should mean something. SU shouldn't be like 13th grade. That's why I made the comment about admissions.
I'm with you. The students should come out and support their fellow students who play the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom