To those who say college is better than NBA | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

To those who say college is better than NBA

Turn on TNT now... this game is breathtaking. It reminds me of the days when college teams were loaded with upper classmen and coaches weren’t so controlling.
It reminds me of the old days...ya know...all the way back to the 90's, when teams played hard the entire year, and didn't just save it for the playoffs.

yup. syracuse basketball is my #1 sports love.

but overall, college bball sucks

It is seriously awful. I don't think I watched a single entire game this year that didn't involve Syracuse or was postseason.

College basketball regulars season - and regular season in all sports actually - seem too long. Personally I think the pros compete at a higher level than the college kids most nights, and level of play is worlds better (as it should be). Less coaching ego and less officiating/rules issues combined with the unreal level of skill have me choosing the NBA on any night that Cuse isn't on.

Love watching the Celts this year and the NBA in general, because like Cincy said, my kid is really into it now. But I can't watch OKC because Westbrook isn't only a ball hog, he sucks the life out of my love of the game in general.

And for the love of God, please shorten the danged playoffs. Tuesday to Saturday to travel from Boston to Cleveland, seriously? That's stupid.

No offense to anyone there -- we all love Syracuse basketball and truthfully they are my favorite basketball team -- college or NBA (grew up a Knicks fan). With that said, I really think for a lot of folks the only reason they downplay the NBA is because they don't actively have an NBA team to root for for whatever reason. Villanova's stunning performance aside, college basketball is lightyears away from the NBA game. I watch Cuse games religiously because I love the Organe -- however, as a casual fan the games would be virtually unwatchable. If you simply love the game of basketball, I just cannot see how anyone can downplay the NBA.

No one but Villanova, KU, UK, or Duke was gonna win the NCAA latest year.
But in college there is more to celebrate. Teams, schools and fans celebrate making the Sweet 16 or the Final Four. We count how many Sweet 16's we made and how many conference tournaments we won. Many schools celebrate just making the NCAA tournament. For the most part nobody in the NBA celebrates any team accomplishment other than winning the title. Making the conference finals in the NBA is a huge accomplishment but I just don't see it celebrated on the same level as a Final 4. The pro and college games overall are so different that they shouldn't even be compared.

There’s no doubt that the nba is “better” basketball. It would be impossible not to be. They are the greatest players in the world. But some people, including me, think college ball is more fun, more interesting, more endearing, more whatever. I like the NBA but imo the playoffs don’t compare to the excitement of the NCAAT.

The main reason I like the NBA is it's kind of fun to see the ball actually go in the basket.

Love watching the Celts this year and the NBA in general, because like Cincy said, my kid is really into it now. But I can't watch OKC because Westbrook isn't only a ball hog, he sucks the life out of my love of the game in general.

And for the love of God, please shorten the danged playoffs. Tuesday to Saturday to travel from Boston to Cleveland, seriously? That's stupid.

The time between playoff games is totally absurd. I didn't realize we were waiting until Saturday after tonight's game. I think Houston/GS is Wednesday and Sunday.

No offense to anyone there -- we all love Syracuse basketball and truthfully they are my favorite basketball team -- college or NBA (grew up a Knicks fan). With that said, I really think for a lot of folks the only reason they downplay the NBA is because they don't actively have an NBA team to root for for whatever reason. Villanova's stunning performance aside, college basketball is lightyears away from the NBA game. I watch Cuse games religiously because I love the Organe -- however, as a casual fan the games would be virtually unwatchable. If you simply love the game of basketball, I just cannot see how anyone can downplay the NBA.

I think it is really hard to go from the college game, where you understand many of the rules and how they relate to the "intent" of the rules (the charge call notwithstanding) and then watch the NBA game. Moving/illegal screens on every single NBA offensive set still drive me nuts.

One of the other things that kind of bothers me about the NBA is how few offensive rebounds there are now, but that's probably because most teams have 3-5 guys standing outside of the 3-point line on every shot attempt. Guys like Tristan Thompson seem like they are really good at offensive boards on the level of Rodman, but they aren't. They are actually just in the lane and end up with the ball by showing just a little tenacity. Not like the worm and his sublime positioning that led to many of those boards.

But seeing guys make ridiculous and deep shots with regularity is kind of awesome.

It is seriously awful. I don't think I watched a single entire game this year that didn't involve Syracuse or was postseason.

The last few years, we're particularly painful to watch but so are a lot of D1 teams. Personally, games in the 50s like in the 1950s aren't very thrilling, chilling or killing. Of the 351 D1 teams, only 44 managed to average 80 ppg. Almost all in the low 70s to mid 60s. If you like to watch the ball actually go in the basket, CBB ain't for you. Me, personally, I much prefer a hoop every now and then to a ton of bricks all game long.

Many of the players that would make the college better are not playing in the NBA and just collecting a check.
The overall game of college basketball suffers. The scores would be higher along with the level of play.
If more players stayed in college I generally like college better. More passing, more movement, more intensity during the regular season. NBA is obviously a better product but regular season is played at half speed, they walk the ball up court, no more fast break baskets, count the number of passes each offensive trip, sometimes none, at most one or two, the game is only layups, or three pointers. The games have changed. NBA has no low post centers anymore, Everyone can hit an open 3 pointer, and college has the talent drain. I am starting to not watch either product and getting into European soccer during the winter.

But in college there is more to celebrate. Teams, schools and fans celebrate making the Sweet 16 or the Final Four. We count how many Sweet 16's we made and how many conference tournaments we won. Many schools celebrate just making the NCAA tournament. For the most part nobody in the NBA celebrates any team accomplishment other than winning the title. Making the conference finals in the NBA is a huge accomplishment but I just don't see it celebrated on the same level as a Final 4. The pro and college games overall are so different that they shouldn't even be compared.
That wasn't the point of the text I replied too, which said that the NBA wasn't attractive because so few teams could win.

The last few years, we're particularly painful to watch but so are a lot of D1 teams. Personally, games in the 50s like in the 1950s aren't very thrilling, chilling or killing. Of the 351 D1 teams, only 44 managed to average 80 ppg. Almost all in the low 70s to mid 60s. If you like to watch the ball actually go in the basket, CBB ain't for you. Me, personally, I much prefer a hoop every now and then to a ton of bricks all game long.
Serious question, what’s the NBA’s shooting percentage when you subtract out the dunks? For a good deal of time they were known as the “National Bricklaying Association.”

Serious question, what’s the NBA’s shooting percentage when you subtract out the dunks? For a good deal of time they were known as the “National Bricklaying Association.”

Actually you should check out the 3 point shooting stats. There are nearly 40 guys in the NBA that shoot 40% or better from three. Considering that shot is from 23'9" that's pretty crazy. I'm surprised some of these guys don't holler "lay-up" when they shoot those shots. Their range is incredible. That said, mid-range games aren't what they used to be but there are no shortage of great shooters in the NBA.

The pace is secondary to the idea that playing "matador defense" would be an improvement over whatever it is they do now.

Yes, yes, strong take.

Imagine what a team like UMBC might do to the Celtics in a 48 minute game. UMBC would put up 140 easy, maybe even a buck 50.

Hot take: More people only watch college basketball in March than only watch the NBA during the playoffs.
Ya because the first 2 days are one the great sporting events of the year. The NBA doesn't have that.

Last nights game was phenomenal glad I went. A loud full blown 'F___ You JR' chant broke out lol after the dirty foul on Horford and scrum with Mahcus Smaht.
Why did JR Smith get minutes? I know Lue was asked about Hood, but IMHO Nance and Hood should be given more minutes, they can't be worse. In the second half last night LBJ looked his age. Credit Stevens. He has created a tough team that does not rattle and trust that their scheme will survive runs and emotions. That said I still think Ainge has his work cut out with Hayward and Kyrie getting max deals.

I miss the NBA of the 1980's and early to mid 90's. Probably post 1998 I really stopped watching and the last 5 years or more I havent paid attention at all.

Same here, but that also applies to college basketball. Back then, all aspiring basketball players went to college for some period at or near the amount of years people actually go to college (my 7 year undergrad stint notwithstanding). Now the level of play is pretty terrible by comparison, but since it applies across the board, it remains competitive.

Syracuse will always have the special place in my heart no matter how crappy the game is.

Oh, and go Caps, go Yankees. (Didn't want you all to think I was just reading books or something until football season).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom