To those who say college is better than NBA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

To those who say college is better than NBA

But how do you know what they do know. You haven't watched in 35 years.
It's what they folks who do make the mistake of watching post on our b-ball board. We have similar threads, but no one dares say that NBA ball is superior.

Yay! ANOTHER thread to argue about which is better - NBA vs. college. :rolleyes:

Lol. I assumed this was an old post that got bumped.

I’m one of the “NBA is better” guys but I’m not sure why so many care so much about what others prefer.

It's really not about which is better. It's about personal preference. I watch a lot more NBA than I used to because my son has become a big NBA fan. There are some incredible individual performances (Durrant/Lebron) but also a lot of less interesting one on one action (Harden/Lebron). Both are more interesting at playoff/tournament time. My biggest issue with the NBA is I get a little bored watching the same thing year after year. I was more interested watching teams like the Jazz, Pelicans and Sixers than I am watching Warriors, Rockets and Cavs (at least no more Spurs games). The Celtics may be interesting but I'd rather get an enema than have to watch a freaking Celtics game. The college game is still interesting and still has great performances and more teamwork based basketball. Plus I could care less who is in the uniform if its a school I dislike then I enjoy cheering against them (GTown, UK, Duke).

My only wish as a college basketball fan is that we could get the best players to play college for 2 years. I don't care if they can make money earlier because even if they are making money none of them will really be relevant in the NBA for a couple years or more. I don't cheer for players because they are making money. I cheer for them because they entertain me. Mali Richardson and Tyler Lydon did nothing to entertain me this year. Could care less if they made money or not.

Shorten the freakin season already

In a perfect world, the NBA, MLB and NHL regular seasons would all be shortened by a third. They're just painfully long.

One of the reasons football is so incredibly popular (along with Americans lust for violence) is that the sport always leaves you wanting more because there's simply so little of it.

i watch a lot of nba, on tv and in person. there isn't intensity every night, but there is plenty.

and there are 351 teams playing division college basketball. 250 of them stink and fewer than 10 have a realistic chance of winning the title. that is a much smaller percentage than the nba

But none of the college teams are tanking. Plus you can't beat a single game elimination tournament. The NBA playoffs just don't compare to the NCAAT.

The pace is secondary to the idea that playing "matador defense" would be an improvement over whatever it is they do now.

I like college more than pro but that's one area I disagree with you on. The NBA does not play matador defense. Often times the defense is suffocating.

I like college more than pro but that's one area I disagree with you on. The NBA does not play matador defense. Often times the defense is suffocating.
I think GS got 4-5 24 second violations on Houston last night.
Sometimes, the idividual's greatness beats great defense.

Last edited:
What I like about college is the sheer effort- 98% of the time these kids give it their all. I also like that they aren’t as good- an open jumper isn’t automatic, guts and guile can bring down a better team. Teams like Villanova can beat Ewing, Princeton, George Mason, etc. and the atmosphere is tremendous. I appreciate the NBA talent level but it’s generally not that fun to watch for me.

The wcf is going to be great but its not good for your league when there are two teams that can win a title and you have to delve through 5 months of meaningless bball.

The wcf is going to be great but its not good for your league when there are two teams that can win a title and you have to delve through 5 months of meaningless bball.

Ahh yes another lament for the loss of parity in a league that literally never had parity in its history.

Ahh yes another lament for the loss of parity in a league that literally never had parity in its history.

I wonder what the crossover is between people bemoaning the Warriors and how it's not good for the league and people who talk about how great Jordan was and how the league isn't as good as it was then.

I wonder what the crossover is between people bemoaning the Warriors and how it's not good for the league and people who talk about how great Jordan was and how the league isn't as good as it was then.

Yeah I was thinking kind of the same thing.

Like Michael Jordan was a crazy person who would literally rather die than lose a basketball game but boy I really thought that the Utah Jazz had a good shot in that Finals.

There's just something about the nostalgia and emotional attachment to MJ that causes otherwise reasonable people to completely lose their minds.

Anyone catch Steve Kerr say he's glad he played 15 years ago because he sure isn't talented enough to play now?

Yeah, he definitely went out of his way to say that. He had a big comment last year or so about how the game is better now than it's ever been.

There's just something about the nostalgia and emotional attachment to MJ that causes otherwise reasonable people to completely lose their minds.

To be fair, when MJ was first coming up, people were saying the same thing about his era and comparing it to Magic and Larry. It's nostalgia, like you said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom