To those who say college is better than NBA | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

To those who say college is better than NBA

Serious question, what’s the NBA’s shooting percentage when you subtract out the dunks? For a good deal of time they were known as the “National Bricklaying Association.”

Don't know that I've ever seen a stat like that. Doubt you have either. Never heard the bricklayer stuff either. You go back 60 years and the NBA average is 45% - 47% depending on the era. Not exactly laying bricks. You're suggesting dunks don't count in NBA shooting percentage? Ok, then what's college basketball's shooting % if you subtract the dunks? If you look at shooting accuracy over the last five years, at 15 feet where most shots are taken, the NBA is about 41 percent, CBB about 36%. Similar delta for layups/dunks -- NBA 81%, CBB 75%. As I said, the ball goes in the basket in the NBA, less so in CBB.

Last edited:
To each his own.

I can’t recall the last time I watched an NBA game. I figured I might be interested with a Northeast team playing, but I just can’t make the move.

I think I’m done with the NBA.

{snip} If you look at shooting accuracy over the last five years, at 15 feet where most shots are taken, the NBA is about 41 percent, CBB about 36%. {snip}
This is the stat I was looking for. Thank you. I have seen discussion that said the shooting stats at that distance from before 5 years ago were worse for the NBA. IOW, there has been a recent improvement in that shooting stat.

That wasn't the point of the text I replied too, which said that the NBA wasn't attractive because so few teams could win.

This may be the first time since I followed the sport that someone has tried to argue that Cbb has no parity.

This is the stat I was looking for. Thank you. I have seen discussion that said the shooting stats at that distance from before 5 years ago were worse for the NBA. IOW, there has been a recent improvement in that shooting stat.

Relative to college? Or just the NBA has improved from previous NBA levels?

Relative to college? Or just the NBA has improved from previous NBA levels?
The NBA's shooting percentage has improved from its previous levels.

I could easily be wrong, but I thought there was something on ESPN that showed brick after brick after brick being shot in a bunch of NBA games some years ago. It seems like everything has changed since the arrival of Curry.

I could easily be wrong, but I thought there was something on ESPN that showed brick after brick after brick being shot in a bunch of NBA games some years ago. It seems like everything has changed since the arrival of Curry.

The last time I remember poor shooting being a narrative was like 1994. The NBA moved the 3 point line closer for a couple seasons back then to try to increase scoring.

NBA League Averages | Basketball-Reference.com

Definitely looks like shooting% has improved a little, this is kind of incredible to think about, the league shot 46%, which is the highest since 2009-10, while at the same time teams are shooting, by far, more 3 pointers than ever before which are obviously a lower % shot. Teams averaging 29 3's per year, in 09-10, for instance, when the league shot 46.1%, there were 11 fewer 3's. Really speaks to how much the skill level has improved, I guess.

Gotta love seeing those bombs from way downtown getting nothing but net. With us, there was one point last season when I said I'd rather see a 91-89 loss than a 51-50 win because the games were so unwatchable. Turns out that those games in the 50s got us pretty far in the tournament. Still, watching two teams shoot in the 30s and struggle to get to 20 pts by halftime is brutal. IMO it's the over-coaching, programming every offensive set, making players into robots, that has a lot to do with it. Personally, I kinda hate that we've become a defense first team. I've had root canals that hurt less than watching most of our games these days.

Last edited:
NBA League Averages | Basketball-Reference.com

Definitely looks like shooting% has improved a little, this is kind of incredible to think about, the league shot 46%, which is the highest since 2009-10, while at the same time teams are shooting, by far, more 3 pointers than ever before which are obviously a lower % shot. Teams averaging 29 3's per year, in 09-10, for instance, when the league shot 46.1%, there were 11 fewer 3's. Really speaks to how much the skill level has improved, I guess.

Shooting is so weird. I know more than a few guys I play with on a regular basis that make 3 pointers like layups, but shots from a step or two inside the line are near impossible for them. So much muscle memory comes into play, plus you're more likely to be taking those shorter shots off the bounce which involves a whole other skill set. The reason we notice guys like Durant and Livingston for their mid-range games is because so few guys seem to work that muscle anymore. I have to think if the numbers are coming up, it's two factors - guys are obviously getting better from 3 - we see that with big men clearly. But it's also guys taking the time to work on the mid-range shots as well.

Effective field goal% was the highest it has ever been in the NBA this season.

Not surprised. The league is about scoring. Guys like Baynes for the Celts would never have even attempted a 3-point shot in the old days. Heck, nothing outside of 10 feet. So, if you're expected to shoot and score, you had better be able to do just that.

Effective field goal% was the highest it has ever been in the NBA this season.

Yeah that doesn't totally surprise me, since we're seeing more 3's than ever. But the fact that overall FG% is the highest in a decade, while 3 pointers are sky rocketing; that's something.

I was able to back into 2 point% from the link above; the last 2 seasons are the highest 2 point fg% in league history. Only 2 times the league has averaged over 50% on 2 pointers.

Gotta love seeing those bombs from way downtown getting nothing but net. With us, there was one point last season when I said I'd rather see a 91-89 loss than a 51-50 win because the games were so unwatchable. Turns out that those games in the 50s got us pretty far in the tournament. Still, watching two teams shoot in the 30s and struggle to get to 20 pts by halftime is brutal. IMO it's the over-coaching, programming every offensive set, making players into robots, that has a lot to do with it. Personally, I kinda hate that we've become a defense first team. I've had root canals that hurt less than watching most of our games these days.

Not sure if it can be the over-coaching on offense with Syracuse the past five years or so but I catch your drift.

For me its the NBA skimming talent from the college game to sit the bench. Would we have looked so bad if we had Tyler Lydon, Malachi Richardson, Ty Battle, O. Brissett, and F. Howard?
PS: Why can't I type F. as in Frank's first name's first initial?

For me its the NBA skimming talent from the college game to sit the bench. Would we have looked so bad if we had Tyler Lydon, Malachi Richardson, Ty Battle, O. Brissett, and . Howard?
PS: Why can't I type . as in Frank's first name's first initial?
The site censors the capitalF due to more nefarious uses of the letter. Frank's initial is just collateral damage. ;)

To each his own.

I can’t recall the last time I watched an NBA game. I figured I might be interested with a Northeast team playing, but I just can’t make the move.

I think I’m done with the NBA.
Watching the Warriors should change your mind

For me its the NBA skimming talent from the college game to sit the bench. Would we have looked so bad if we had Tyler Lydon, Malachi Richardson, Ty Battle, O. Brissett, and . Howard?
PS: Why can't I type . as in Frank's first name's first initial?
Yes, because all the better teams lost better talent, which would have still been in college too.

I know this thread is about the NBA but I think the 'bad' college basketball games people on here are droning on about aren't that bad.

A low scoring defensive battle is still better to watch than other lackluster sporting events. Its only 2 hours. It beats a boring 0-0 soccer game. It beats a boring low scoring hockey game or a 6-1 game. You like watching Ohio St beat a MAC school by 35 or a 4 TD NFL blowout? A 4.5 hour lopsided baseball game with non stop pitching changes and umpire reviews?

I don't really mind watching 2 teams trying to grind it out and the game coming down to which team can make more tough contested baskets down the stretch. I don't get mad because a game is low scoring and in the 50s. Its only 1-2 games a year of ours that stick out to me for bad basketball and these are always ACC tilts vs another team with size and talent.

I just want more 4 year players. Let guys get drafted and return to college if the NBA team that drafted them doesn't think they are ready.

The last time I remember poor shooting being a narrative was like 1994. The NBA moved the 3 point line closer for a couple seasons back then to try to increase scoring.
Yup, the problem was the hand checking got out of control in the early nineties. Coaches and teams emphasized defense so much it was like no one cared about scoring.

This may be the first time since I followed the sport that someone has tried to argue that Cbb has no parity.
Parity is not a one game event. An upset in CBB, or even football, is an anomoly, not parity. Syracuse, of latel has had no realistic chance to win the ACC,ate let alone the NCAA. Eventually, over 6 games, luck will run out and the better teams will win.
In fact, few teams have a shot to win the NCAA in any given year.

Parity is not a one game event. An upset in CBB, or even football, is an anomoly, not parity. Syracuse, of latel has had no realistic chance to win the ACC,ate let alone the NCAA. Eventually, over 6 games, luck will run out and the better teams will win.
In fact, few teams have a shot to win the NCAA in any given year.

I mean in my lifetime I've seen an 8,7,6,4, and multiple 3's (including one I'm particularly fond of) win the National Title. If you want to say that for example either 2011 or 2014 UConn was "the better team" that's fine. But I'm not sure id agree with that.

But there isn't anything analogous to that in the NBA and there hasn't been in decades.

Yes, because all the better teams lost better talent, which would have still been in college too.

Yeah, I like the scenarios where only WE keep our NBA talent, but UK and Duke still lose theirs every year.

I mean in my lifetime I've seen an 8,7,6,4, and multiple 3's (including one I'm particularly fond of) win the National Title. If you want to say that for example either 2011 or 2014 UConn was "the better team" that's fine. But I'm not sure id agree with that.

But there isn't anything analogous to that in the NBA and there hasn't been in decades.

The closest ones I can think of would probably be the Mavs in 2011 and I guess the 95 Rockets? The 95 Rockets were a six seed. Of course they had one of the 10-12 best players of all time and another HOF in Clyde Drexler. So yeah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom