Today Dino needs to be locked up | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Today Dino needs to be locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
School has never ever ever paid above market for football or hoops. Bees is right, a million increase is my guess but anything above that would be very out of character. To me the assistant numbers is the harder one to get to

And look where past decisions got us...laughing stock, doormat, of all P5 programs. It’s an embarrassment to this once proud program where we were allowed to have fallen all because of past decisions like this. Hopefully we now have the right AD in place, who can get competitive salaries approved by the BOT. If we continue past practices we will end up right where we were before we got Dino Babers. I can only hope they realize this.

I am confident that Wildhack is not an idiot and realizes what he has in Dino even if negotiations are not playing out in public. I desperately hope the school makes a commitment, but at the same time I think it's important to focus on what we can control.

If you've been considering buying season tickets but haven't pulled the trigger, now might be a good time to pull the trigger. Even better if you can buy preferred seats.
If you don't live close enough, maybe buy tickets and donate them like richmondcuse did. Just get some butts in the Dome!
If you don't buy tickets, consider making a donation. I think some people think only those million dollar donations help - and we need those. But every bit helps if you can afford it and those little ones add up. Don't have to wait for SU to reach out either. The link is always open.

https://secure.syr.edu/s/1632/17/form/form.aspx?sid=1632&gid=2&pgid=2328&cid=4557

Realize I'm preaching to the choir to most on here as you already support the program, but wanted to put this out there

You nailed it.

Question, just checking USA Today's last list of salaries (here), $3.7M would put him right around #30.

That seems low to me, pending other agreements for assistants, renovations, etc.

Do we have the capability to give him $3.7M and then incentives that can drive it up to $4.5M (hitting $4.5M in full only by making the CFP) and still have money for assistants and renovations (I know the pool of money isn't as simple as a single source to allocate)?

It's definitely a unique situation, SU hasn't paid top dollar for a football coach before, but when was the last time they had to? And had the money to do it? Ever? This is a first for me.

In my 40 years of following this team, I never known a coach that was so universally liked by our fan base and opposing fan bases as well. This is the first time I can remember everybody being all in on the coach, and this is the first time I can remember other college teams wanting our coach.

Hopefully all those brilliant minds up on the hill can see what they have in Dino, and how valuable he is. Hopefully they make a statement and show commitment to the football program is needed to do their part in keeping the program and the ACC strong. I doubt they were invited to the ACC to pocket the money without properly investing in their athletic programs.

There is nothing wrong with giving him a raise to the average salary of the ACC, Pac12 and Big12 as a start.

Make it for an additional 5 years with a $250K per year escalation, with annual achievable incentives to get him to $4.5M and beyond.

Winning seasons, bowl game, big bump if in conference championship game, increase in season ticket sales, attendance,

I am confident that Wildhack is not an idiot and realizes what he has in Dino even if negotiations are not playing out in public. I desperately hope the school makes a commitment, but at the same time I think it's important to focus on what we can control.

If you've been considering buying season tickets but haven't pulled the trigger, now might be a good time to pull the trigger. Even better if you can buy preferred seats.
If you don't live close enough, maybe buy tickets and donate them like richmondcuse did. Just get some butts in the Dome!
If you don't buy tickets, consider making a donation. I think some people think only those million dollar donations help - and we need those. But every bit helps if you can afford it and those little ones add up. Don't have to wait for SU to reach out either. The link is always open.

https://secure.syr.edu/s/1632/17/form/form.aspx?sid=1632&gid=2&pgid=2328&cid=4557

Realize I'm preaching to the choir to most on here as you already support the program, but wanted to put this out there

I donate to academics for most part and donate to athletics by supporting team, going to games as much as I can and buying merchandise. I’ll rarely write checks to football teams. When they joined the ACC I assumed it would provide the cash to upgrade facilities and hire/retain coaching. I will be happy if we can re up Dino but school usually is within market and not over it. I suspect 1mm for both Dino and assistants is reach of where they will go

To me, as much as Dino has wowed me I’m equally impressed w Kent’s desire to raise the academic standing. Both happening at same time is very exciting. Nancy destroyed the schools selective nature.

There is nothing wrong with giving him a raise to the average salary of the ACC, Pac12 and Big12 as a start.

Make it for an additional 5 years with a $250K per year escalation, with annual achievable incentives to get him to $4.5M and beyond.

Winning seasons, bowl game, big bump if in conference championship game, increase in season ticket sales, attendance,

The non-Dabo median in the ACC is around 3-3.5 mil.

I’d imagine we’d want to get him north of $3.5m base, with various incentives that can bring him (and his staff pool - and this may be more important) to $4m or above, for a really spectacular season.

Dabo’s genius early on was to take a little less $ for himself, but pay his key assistants more.
And those results speak for themselves -
AND he ended up getting big $ too.

Question, just checking USA Today's last list of salaries (here), $3.7M would put him right around #30.

That seems low to me, pending other agreements for assistants, renovations, etc.

Do we have the capability to give him $3.7M and then incentives that can drive it up to $4.5M (hitting $4.5M in full only by making the CFP) and still have money for assistants and renovations (I know the pool of money isn't as simple as a single source to allocate)?

30th sounds pretty good to me 3 years in.

Also give him Edsall bonuses, so he gets a bonus if SU is leading at the half, if SU scores first, if SU wins the coin toss, if SU turns the ball over fewer than three times, and if SU has more than fifty punt return yards.

I understand why we paid like that historically. IMO - it should be above average this time around, because he’s an above average performer as a coach.

If we can’t make that kind of commitment, realistically, why would we join the ACC? If we wanted to move to a big boy conference, we have to be ready to compete with the big boys.

If not, then we’ve accepted a different fate.

As someone else said, $3.7 would be 30th in the country. I think that’s about right after 3 years.

I'm sorry, but that's just not good enough. We hit a HR with Dino, and now we're just going to try to bump him to an average salary? If I'm Dino and his agent, I'd laugh in our face.

Thankfully, I think Wildhack realizes we have one of the top 10-15 coaches in America in his hands and will be willing to pay a premium to keep him.

We must be aggressive, especially considering we have ACCN money and a new Nike deal coming down the pike shortly.

As someone else said, $3.7 would be 30th in the country. I think that’s about right after 3 years.
Fair enough... and that would be fair altogether if you didn’t have to worry about losing coaches mid-contract... as of now, I don’t really see a threat for 2019, but if we continue to ascend with a new QB... look out.

I totally concur. I will be buying an extra pair of seasons to pass out to whoever wants them. Support, support!

Last edited:
You folks calling for high end salaries better start donating big time. As has been said about 100 times, many of the coaches that are getting big time money have some of it paid by their booster club.

This isn't fair. I'd be willing to wager that the majority of this board donates by going to games and buying tickets. By traveling to games that are within range of them getting to. Not many have the $ to make a dent in what you're saying.

It's SU's job to pinpoint those people and start cultivating those relationships. How many recent football players that have been in the NFL have donated large sums of money? I don't know, I'm just asking. Those would be where I'd look first and then start going to the older group who have hit their golden peaks of retirement/investment/asset accumulation.

Calling out the hardcore fanbase is likely not the answer.

I totally concur. I will be buying an extra pair of seasons to pass out to whoever wants them.
They have a Cyber Monday season ticket promo for $126 which includes a season ticket, Clemson men’s basketball ticket, Notre Dame women’s basketball ticket, and a tee shirt.
5FDF397F-6B20-4649-ADEF-9DF0C0C6645B.jpeg

You folks calling for high end salaries better start donating big time. As has been said about 100 times, many of the coaches that are getting big time money have some of it paid by their booster club.
It’s a good point, absolutely.

The LVille stuff is nauseating. He’d never jump within the division. That’s just not his style. 2nd, they’re so scandal ridden right now I can’t see him wanting to have to take on that responsibility either. He just wants to coach, not rebuild a reputation on top of it. They have no history or tradition, that’s not who this guy is.

And I imagine the loud house is the last place he’d want to play as the most vilified and hated man in Syracuse. Lol

The guy has proven he’s above average; at every level. Program building, coaching, managing, public speaking/persona, intelligence, s&c, vision, philosophy, hiring, recruiting etc. If you want to keep him you have to make him an above average offer. It’s pretty simple really.

I think you pay HCDFB slightly higher than average of the three divisions and then put some escaltors as well as simple incentive triggers. Along with the other items (private travel, locker rooms, increased pay for assistants) and it should be good.

Or not. You always harp on the donation front which is a non starter. We are a small private university. We will never be in position to compete via private donations and you know thism SU on the other hand has an enormous amount of money in its general fund. It also has ACC money and ACC Network money. The administration needs to realize that Dino will more than pay for himself. He is worth his weight in Gold and Wild knows it. Donations are not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom