Today we are all Bearcat fans | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Today we are all Bearcat fans

Good luck. I had a 10 team that would have paid $12k. But Wisconsin won by 7. I needed 7.5. I hate them.
Ouch that's a bad beat given how that game ended.

The idea of playoff expansion is a joke in todays college football. Michigan and Cincy were just overwhelmed. Alabama ran a vanilla set like they had a 1-aa out there.

Every major conference winner plus G5's best should be the playoff, with 2 spots for wildcards.

Eight teams. Every conference winner gets in. Top rated G5, two wild cards, so Notre Dame never has to join a conference.

Not what I want, personally (re ND), but this is so obvious that they would never ever do it.

Cu7d2FWVYAAFs35
Not sure that graphic works this year. The two best teams in the country by a mile and a third (Ole Miss) that is a legit top ten team. Bottom of the conference is meh for sure.

Since the BCS began in 1998 the following schools have won the national championship, (I consider 2003 a split title between LSU and USC: the Trojans were #1 in both polls but not invited to the BCS title game). I've split them into two groups, southern teams and northern teams:

SOUTHERN
Alabama 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020
Louisiana State 2003, 2007, 2019
Clemson 2016, 2019, Florida 2006, 2008, Florida State 1999, 2013 and Southern California 2003, 2004
Auburn (2010), U of Miami (2001), Oklahoma (2000), Tennessee (1998) and Texas (2005)
That's 11 schools that won 22 titles, soon to be potentially 12 schools that won 23 titles

NORTHERN
Ohio State 2002, 2014
That's 1 school that won 2 titles.

That was over 23 seasons. Here are the previous 23 seasons, (1975-1997):

SOUTHERN
U of Miami 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991
Alabama 1978, 1979, 1992
Oklahoma 1975, 1985
Clemson (1981), Florida (1996), Florida State (1993), Georgia (1980), Georgia tech (1990), and Southern California (1978)
That's 9 schools that won 15 titles.

NORTHERN
Nebraska 1994, 1995 and 1997
Notre Dame 1977, 1988 and Penn State 1982, 1986
Brigham Young (1984), Colorado (1990), Michigan (1997) Pittsburgh (1976) and Washington (1991)
That's 8 schools that won 12 titles.

My primary explanation for this is:

For years the recruiting advise was to recruit northern kids for size and strength because northern athletes are stuck indoors half the year and will spend that time lifting weights. Recruit southern kids for speed and agility because they speed 12 months a year running around outside. Then schools started building fancy weight room to show recruits how committed they were to winning and suddenly everybody was getting big and strong: it was no longer an advantage. But speed and agility still was and that was in the south. Northern teams try to recruit in the south, but they are going to get the B and C listers from there. the southern teams get the A listers and thus have the better teams.

My sports-book is showing Georgia -2.5 over Alabama for the NC.

Wow.

I am going to take Bama now while I can get them + on the ML.

I think Georgia wins the rematch. All those Alabama injuries are stacking up and that offense isn’t the same without Metchie. Then on top of that if they’re going to be down 2 starting OL and both starting corners again (though K Jackson looked real tough) that’s just a lot to overcome to win a game at this stage.

I will say though that Saban can coach circles around Kirby, and pretty much has in all the prior big match ups, so I won’t count Bama out by any means.

Why is it that people love David vs. Goliath in basketball but not in football? I've felt for year that the playoff in football had too few teams and in basketball too many and I always wind up arguing with people with the opposite opinion. I wonder if they are the same people.

In hoop some scrubby white kid from Vermont can hit a few circus shots and change the course of a game playing 2 games in 3 days. And eventually attrition wins.

In football a superior team has a month to prep for a lesser opponent (in this format).

Why is it that people love David vs. Goliath in basketball but not in football? I've felt for year that the playoff in football had too few teams and in basketball too many and I always wind up arguing with people with the opposite opinion. I wonder if they are the same people.
The flaw of the David vs Goliath is that they DONT happen in football but happen fairly regularly on basketball. Most of the college football playoff games are blowouts because there is no parity. There is way more parity in college BB for a myriad of reasons. Expanding the college football playoffs is nothing short of a money grab. There will be more lopsided games and the same teams will be winning. There are no Gonzagas or Butlers in college football. Cinci is a nice story but put them in the SEC and they would never sniff the SEC Championship Game much less the playoffs. Even when the score was respectable yesterday Cinci was never in the game. Michigan was never in their game. It was pretty obvious to anyone paying attention all season that this was going to be Georgia and Bama. An 8 or 12 team playoff is needed to sort that out. An expanded playoff is just to put more money in the pockets of ESPN and a few Bluebloods.

The flaw of the David vs Goliath is that they DONT happen in football but happen fairly regularly on basketball. Most of the college football playoff games are blowouts because there is no parity. There is way more parity in college BB for a myriad of reasons. Expanding the college football playoffs is nothing short of a money grab. There will be more lopsided games and the same teams will be winning. There are no Gonzagas or Butlers in college football. Cinci is a nice story but put them in the SEC and they would never sniff the SEC Championship Game much less the playoffs. Even when the score was respectable yesterday Cinci was never in the game. Michigan was never in their game. It was pretty obvious to anyone paying attention all season that this was going to be Georgia and Bama. An 8 or 12 team playoff is needed to sort that out. An expanded playoff is just to put more money in the pockets of ESPN and a few Bluebloods.

I still think the Davids would like a shot at the Goliaths. I don't Cincy is sorry they got to play Alabama. And my over-riding principle is that if a school is in a division and they run the table, they deserve a shot at the title. if they don't get one, either they are in the wrong division or the playoff format is inadequate.

Every major conference winner plus G5's best should be the playoff, with 2 spots for wildcards.

Eight teams. Every conference winner gets in. Top rated G5, two wild cards, so Notre Dame never has to join a conference.

Not what I want, personally (re ND), but this is so obvious that they would never ever do it.
And make the quarterfinal round home games for the higher seeds.

Viewership will go down and everyone will blame NIL and player greed. But it’s not that.
Viewership isn’t going to go down.
College football gets the 2nd best ratings of any sport.
It’s not the NFL but it dominants NBA, NHL, MLB ratings.

It sucks there is no parity like the NFL but people weren’t complaining when USC went 3 years in a row to the championship game.

Alabama has the coach that breaks the system.
College football just doesn’t have a Northeast team but the rest of the country has competitive teams.
College football is a way better product than college basketball.
Because the NFL loves having a free development league. College hoops doesn’t do that anymore because kids rightfully have figured out that system is broken.

That and the northeast doesn't give a crap, relatively.
No doubt. They take football 100x more seriously in the south. The real drop off has been on the west coast.

I have a 10 team college bowl slip that would pay $8200 and change.
I need Notre Dame and Ole Miss to finish it.
I don’t like to hedge but you can bet if ND beats Oklahoma State I will hedge Baylor probably around 1k.
Just to guarantee a decent win.
Tough to lose that Notre Dame game.
I went shopping with my wife when it was 28-7 and I thought that was a sure loser for me as I had a chunk on the Cowboys at +2.
I know hedging on both those last two games would really cut into your profit, but did you think about hedging the last two legs?

Tough to lose that Notre Dame game.
I went shopping with my wife when it was 28-7 and I thought that was a sure loser for me as I had a chunk on the Cowboys at +2.
I know hedging on both those last two games would really cut into your profit, but did you think about hedging the last two legs?
Nope I hate ND and they hate me.

No doubt. They take football 100x more seriously in the south. The real drop off has been on the west coast.
I have a feeling it's going to get interesting with Riley out at USC.

Viewership isn’t going to go down.
College football gets the 2nd best ratings of any sport.
It’s not the NFL but it dominants NBA, NHL, MLB ratings.

It sucks there is no parity like the NFL but people weren’t complaining when USC went 3 years in a row to the championship game.

Alabama has the coach that breaks the system.
College football just doesn’t have a Northeast team but the rest of the country has competitive teams.
College football is a way better product than college basketball.
Because the NFL loves having a free development league. College hoops doesn’t do that anymore because kids rightfully have figured out that system is broken.
If NFL dropped their 3 yrs out of high school rule (which they won’t) it’d go the way of college hoops

Since the BCS began in 1998 the following schools have won the national championship, (I consider 2003 a split title between LSU and USC: the Trojans were #1 in both polls but not invited to the BCS title game). I've split them into two groups, southern teams and northern teams:

SOUTHERN
Alabama 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020
Louisiana State 2003, 2007, 2019
Clemson 2016, 2019, Florida 2006, 2008, Florida State 1999, 2013 and Southern California 2003, 2004
Auburn (2010), U of Miami (2001), Oklahoma (2000), Tennessee (1998) and Texas (2005)
That's 11 schools that won 22 titles, soon to be potentially 12 schools that won 23 titles

NORTHERN
Ohio State 2002, 2014
That's 1 school that won 2 titles.

That was over 23 seasons. Here are the previous 23 seasons, (1975-1997):

SOUTHERN
U of Miami 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991
Alabama 1978, 1979, 1992
Oklahoma 1975, 1985
Clemson (1981), Florida (1996), Florida State (1993), Georgia (1980), Georgia tech (1990), and Southern California (1978)
That's 9 schools that won 15 titles.

NORTHERN
Nebraska 1994, 1995 and 1997
Notre Dame 1977, 1988 and Penn State 1982, 1986
Brigham Young (1984), Colorado (1990), Michigan (1997) Pittsburgh (1976) and Washington (1991)
That's 8 schools that won 12 titles.

My primary explanation for this is:

For years the recruiting advise was to recruit northern kids for size and strength because northern athletes are stuck indoors half the year and will spend that time lifting weights. Recruit southern kids for speed and agility because they speed 12 months a year running around outside. Then schools started building fancy weight room to show recruits how committed they were to winning and suddenly everybody was getting big and strong: it was no longer an advantage. But speed and agility still was and that was in the south. Northern teams try to recruit in the south, but they are going to get the B and C listers from there. the southern teams get the A listers and thus have the better teams.
Well that’s …… depressing lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom