Today will be a chess match, but not quite the same... | Syracusefan.com

Today will be a chess match, but not quite the same...

njcuse

Scout Team
A few days ago I said this would be a chess match between two outstanding coaches, JB and K. As the game unfolds each will make his moves, shifting the pieces on the table to draw in and counter the the opponent. Duke will probe the zone for weakness; JB will adjust the zone should they find one, or even two. And I suspect both will do an excellent job in this department. But unlike in a chess game, the pieces are not static molds of plastic, gold, or whatever. They are young, athletic basketball players, who may or may not carry out and realize the visions of their coach's tactics. So the game will boil down to execution and probably a bit of luck for one team or the other. Who hits the open shots when they come. Who avoids foul trouble, and so on. Let us hope the refs do their job, and let the coaches and players decide the outcome. I am so psyched for this game, which is one of the reasons I have written this bs obvious comment. Go Orange!!!

If we win it will be because we were able to:
  1. Exit the opening with only a slightly inferior game =/+
  2. Equalize in the middle game =/=
  3. Take advantage of tiny inaccuracies by our opponent in the end game for a clear advantage +/-
  4. Convert our advantage to take home the full point. 1-0

If we win it will be because we were able to:
  1. Exit the opening with only a slightly inferior game =/+
  2. Equalize in the middle game =/=
  3. Take advantage of tiny inaccuracies by our opponent in the end game for a clear advantage +/-
  4. Convert our advantage to take home the full point. 1-0

B x K. Game over.

One thing which concerns me is them potentially wearing Ennis down. Hood in a presser talked about them defensively "getting into their legs." Ennis will need some breaks and Silent G could be a disaster vs their on ball pressure. I think Cooney could do a better job bringing the ball up than Silent G. Just turned on Gameday and the atmosphere as well fans look incredible!!!

One thing which concerns me is them potentially wearing Ennis down. Hood in a presser talked about them defensively "getting into their legs." Ennis will need some breaks and Silent G could be a disaster vs their on ball pressure. I think Cooney could do a better job bringing the ball up than Silent G. Just turned on Gameday and the atmosphere as well fans look incredible!!!

Gonna get some hate for this, but Ennis still looks tentative dribbling up against quality pressure. He doesn't BEAT his man, he just keeps advancing till he can deliver a quality pass. He's more of a pass first pressure-breaker, IMO. That's OK - I only say that to point out that IF Ennis has to leave the game, we can break the pressure by going over the top. All five guys (Rak more than Keita here) have good floor games to break pressure.

Not saying I'm not worried a bit about it, but I think we'd be OK bringing the ball up without Ennis. We would suffer more in the halfcourt game with Ennis out, IMO. He is such a great decision-maker, and he does get into the lane if he's not doubled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom