Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not surprising whatsoever. I thought he was doing it last week.

I wish him the best.

Now when does Dino announce his decision to enter into the transfer portal?

This referred to a good backup (stellar) QB in general, not specifically Tommy. For ANY team, the Alabamas of the world included. I just meant that now the procedure has changed, any team will have problems having a really good backup QB sitting there. They are not going to want to wait for their turn while watching from the bench. They are used to running the show.
This has already happened at places like Georgia and Alabama (post season), now it’s filtering down and will accelerate with the new transfer rules. I really, really don’t like the in season announcements. Can’t ever stop someone from walking away though.

The writing was obviously on the wall but it still makes me a little sad. TD was the face of the team when I had justified hope for where we were going for the first in my fandom and he spent most of the next two seasons getting his butt kicked. He stuck with us/Dino when better programs tried to poach him when he was committed in high school and didn't transfer after the '19 or '20 seasons when plenty of kids would have.

He isn't blameless for how everything went those years but there aren't many college quarterbacks who could have excelled in the situation he found himself in. I genuinely hopes he goes to a G5 or FCS program and puts up numbers because his arm talent is legit. He'll be one of the few transfers on the football side that I go out of my way to watch on Saturdays on a different team.

Best of luck.

He played the worst team in the MAC this year and didn’t exactly light em up.
He’s lit it up against mac schools in previous years, like WMU. i personally don’t think he’s a power 5 QB, i think the mac would be perfect for him.

You kind of knew it was coming, but I'm still a little sad it ended for him here like this. He always came across to me as classy (including his farewell) and a good teammate. I am really rooting for him to end his college career with success on the field, to go along with his play in 2018.

Watching the sideline the night, when Tommy was starting, Shrader was warming up like every series….getting in coach’s ear about getting in the game. Friday night, DeVito just stood the on the sidelines, didn’t even have his helmet with him. If the roles were reversed, you would have needed a dog to keep Shrader from trying to get on the field. But Tommy may have known there’s no chance to get in so why make a case. It was definitely an odd vibe, that now makes sense.

Devito
That freshman tight end (blanking on his name)
Harris
Jordan
Hendrix?

Thank you for putting a Syracuse jersey for my entertainment.
I wish kids just finished the seasons and then moved on.
I got no problem with just not playing anymore but just staying with the team till the end.
The kid didn’t even look like the backup on Friday for my observations.

Thanks Tommy.
Good luck

Also, I mean everything I said about DeVito. I just have to say, “DAMMIT! My damn Cali predictions SUCK this year! Between Taj and DeVito, I’m screwed!”

He’s lit it up against mac schools in previous years, like WMU. i personally don’t think he’s a power 5 QB, i think the mac would be perfect for him.
Would Tim Lester take him

Perhaps the best arm ever to play at Syracuse. Underminded by questionable coaching and subpar talent at OL and WR.
I am predicting he will do well at a P6 school. Maybe even a UFA as a pro.
A shame that he was not better utilized.
Good luck Tommy. Thanks for your contribuations.

Pro?

Not a snowball's chance.

He put in the work, and by all accounts was a good teammate. Hope for his own peace of mind that he finds a good situation and enjoys the end of his college career.

It’s a shame things didn’t work out, both for him and the program.

I could get the accolades if he left after the season, and don’t disrespect what he did in the past for the program. But leaving mid season is not a class move. It wasn’t for Howard, wasn’t for Harris and is not for him.

The writing has been on the wall. I wish Tommy well. He fought hard and took quite a few shots behind some bad offensive lines. It's a shame he couldn't quite put it together in his 2 or so years as a starter. I'm sure he will have an opportunity to compete for a starting job somewhere because he has all of the physical tools to be a good college QB. I'll definitely check in on his situation wherever he ends up. He represented the university with class while he was here.

It'll be interesting to see how I, and everyone else, looks back on his time here in 5-10 years. He had such high expectations put on him following his recruitment and the couple of starts filling in for Dungey. His stats will show him as a solid QB but, man, it was often frustrating to watch. It felt like our offenses lacked an identity with him behind center. A lot of that blame belongs to the coaches but some of it does fall on him, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom