Tommy has to start vs NC State. | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy has to start vs NC State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If ED starts and gets pulled - how many series does he get? the first 3 and out? Also if he starts and gets pulled again TD becomes Jason Street from here on out. At that point, I think it's more respectful to say Eric is banged up and we are going with Tommy rather than start Eric for his last 4 games and pulling him in each one. I would play Tommy but I would have played him in the Clemson game too, and PITT.

Coach will start ED because there is no going back if you start TD. If you start TD you have to live with the results good or bad. You can have packages for ED but you can't bench TD if that is the change. For that reason coach will start ED weither it is the correct decision or not.

Last edited:
I have never seen an SU QB with the kind of arm that Tommy has.

He also threw a bad INT due to his inexperience.

I would start Dungey and bring Tommy out of the bullpen.
I was thinking the same in the game and then remembered 5. He had an absolute air cannon. I was once field level when he launched one 75 yards

We don't need to think about this in such black and white terms where the snaps are perfectly zero sum.

Make it a platoon. Both know they'll play. Both know there are some tweaks to the offense they'll run. If one's cold, you go to the other one a little more. Not a big deal.

You start ED and you get the best of both worlds. You get the nicked up fighter trying to throw one great haymaker in Dungey and you get the young gun looking to make everyone look stupid. If you do it the other way you could lose both mentally

How will the players react when a QB change is made? I saw a lot of negative body language when the TD threw the pick.

That's interesting because when TD came to the sideline I also saw a lot of support from his teammates to keep his head up and I thought that was positive affirmation the team wasn't upset about him being put in.

Did u guys read what Clemson did to NCST. The corners were afraid of getting beat deep because of the freshman’s arm so they played 10 yds of softly and got lit up which in turn opened running game also. Ed in they play 8 man box cause they know he can’t throw with his injury. He looks nothing like last year. Td is the one in this particular game with this particular opponent that should be playing. I ain’t worried about rest of year here. Right now with a team that does play soft why would u send Ed. We need this win and even though Dino says TD made mistakes so did ED. A lot of them and he has seen everything. Should td have played in Pitt I think so. Would we have won maybe but woulda been outta this world to be 6-1 with 45000 people in the dome. Dino wants the dome packed so he needs to win games. Ima football nut but not everyone is so until u have a winning team consistentlyt they won’t come. So we need the W so play TD and set up plays for Ed to.

I think TD should start but it should be noted that ED's completion % is higher than TD's, also, he completed 63% of his passes against Clemson, put SU into a 20-7 lead at the beginning of the second half with UNC, and put up 37 against Pitt in regulation - pretty good for an injured, inaccurate QB.

View attachment 142379
That is really cherry picking the data and a small sample size as well. TD has over twice the rate of TDs per attempt. TD has not yet lost a game.
He has scored more points per minutes played. He has our only ACC wins. Most of his time has been against ACC opponents.

He is an elite talent and the best fit for this offense.

That is really cherry picking the data and a small sample size as well. TD has over twice the rate of TDs per attempt. TD has not yet lost a game.
He has scored more points per minutes played. He has our only ACC wins. Most of his time has been against ACC opponents.

And who is cherry picking a small sample
Size now.

And who is cherry picking a small sample
Size now.

He’s thrown for 1 TD in our last 3 GAMES.
That’s a quarter of the season. He’s struggling.

I trust that our coaches will find a way to maximize the abilities of both players and put the team that gives us the best chance to win out there.

What part of “TD should start” did you not understand?

That was exactly my point. I guess you missed it.
Devito had two great deep throws. He fizzled out after the first deep one in the red zone. He saw exactly what dungey usually sees no separation from the receivers and ends up scrambling and throwing the ball away.

Nobody mentions the wide open Harris running a post pattern and it goes ten feet over his head.

Then the two under thrown balls one gets intercepted and the other gets bailed out by Custis for a touchdown.

If Moe Neal doesn’t fumble Diveto probably never gets in the game.

Dungey is still the starter with Devito in the bullpen.

Devito had two great deep throws. He fizzled out after the first deep one in the red zone. He saw exactly what dungey usually sees no separation from the receivers and ends up scrambling and throwing the ball away.

Nobody mentions the wide open Harris running a post pattern and it goes ten feet over his head.

Then the two under thrown balls one gets intercepted and the other gets bailed out by Custis for a touchdown.

I'd argue that the touchdown pass to Custis was exactly where TD wanted it. Back shoulder to let Custis go up and get it.

wow...I, just, wow.

You should go back and rewatch the game. Knowing the outcome, the emotions don't flow the same. Maybe you'll see better, because pretty much none of your descriptions match reality.

If you read the Mink article, Harris pointed to himself for that missed post pattern. He was surprised the ball was on him so quick (used to the Dungey slow trigger) and wasn't ready for Devito's read. Harris acknowledged fault.

The Custis throw was a back shoulder. Devito released it when Custis was on the 14 yard line, and it was meant to be in a place only Custis could catch it. Executed as designed.

Devito attacked downfield, but he also was throwing 15 yard darts. Those intermediate routes started opening up. The UNC defense was on its heels because it suddenly had to defend more of the field.

The book on Dungey is out. Stay disciplined in the rush, keep a spy on him, force him to accurately throw more than a few passes in a row and dare him to beat you deep. It keeps lots of defenders in the box because the defense doesn't have to stretch. And voila - the Syracuse offense is inefficient and prone to stalling out.

I'd argue that the touchdown pass to Custis was exactly where TD wanted it. Back shoulder to let Custis go up and get it.
It wasn’t back shoulder it was under thrown And Cutis came back and caught it over the defender.

dungey's a senior. he won the starting job. and he's our leading rusher and won a couple games himself . we've only seen devito in relief not as a starter. he's thrown 30 some passes. i'm thinking dino goes with experience but the leash just got shorter. just my opinion.
Agree 100%. While TD had a coupke lightning quarters, Eric's been here 4 years and has carried the team at times. No way he played himself out of the starting spot. Leash shorter and TD gets some action, but sitting Eric isn't a good move for many reasons.

wow...I, just, wow.

You should go back and rewatch the game. Knowing the outcome, the emotions don't flow the same. Maybe you'll see better, because pretty much none of your descriptions match reality.

If you read the Mink article, Harris pointed to himself for that missed post pattern. He was surprised the ball was on him so quick (used to the Dungey slow trigger) and wasn't ready for Devito's read. Harris acknowledged fault.

The Custis throw was a back shoulder. Devito released it when Custis was on the 14 yard line, and it was meant to be in a place only Custis could catch it. Executed as designed.

Devito attacked downfield, but he also was throwing 15 yard darts. Those intermediate routes started opening up. The UNC defense was on its heels because it suddenly had to defend more of the field.

The book on Dungey is out. Stay disciplined in the rush, keep a spy on him, force him to accurately throw more than a few passes in a row and dare him to beat you deep. It keeps lots of defenders in the box because the defense doesn't have to stretch. And voila - the Syracuse offense is inefficient and prone to stalling out.
I have watched it multiple times nothing I said is wrong.

you're moving the sticks on the ground you want dungey. if you fall behind a couple scores and need air strikes then devito is the better option. i keep hearing talk of this shoulder injury but i ain't seen solid proof.
i see eric running the ball and extending both arms for extra yardage. you don't do that with a shoulder injury.
\
edit. dungey has never had a great downfield arm.*

You found fault with that performance? 180+ yds, 3TD and 1 INT all in 5 min plus overtime to come from behind and win?

you're moving the sticks on the ground you want dungey. if you fall behind a couple scores and need air strikes then devito is the better option. i keep hearing talk of this shoulder injury but i ain't seen solid proof.
i see eric running the ball and extending both arms for extra yardage. you don't do that with a shoulder injury.
\
edit. dungey has never had a great downfield arm.*

There are different types of shoulder injuries.

You found fault with that performance? 180+ yds, 3TD and 1 INT all in 5 min plus overtime to come from behind and win?
I thought his performance was great just pointing out the faults of Devito like everyone is doing to Dungey.

Only one of those passes was actually under thrown. The under thrown ball to Harris was, in fact, under thrown. However, it was within his catch radius. Harris just wasn't ready for the ball. The "under thrown" ball to Custis was more or less thrown perfectly. He turned around for the ball--as he was being held like a boss--and it hit him in the chest. The "under thrown" ball resulting in an interception wasn't under thrown. DeVito bit on a well disguised coverage. In his defense, I bit watching that coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom