Tommy has to start vs NC State. | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy has to start vs NC State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting DeVito and using Dungey in relief seems more logical to me.

If you go with Dungey on a short leash I just think that’s very problematic and why would you want to go with a guy who’s on a short leash? What gets him pulled and how long do you wait?

The only way I see preventing strife and starting Dungey (with no leash) is by playing both QBs and they both know it going in.

Not an easy decision this weekend as NC State has a tough defense. Maybe a platoon is the best choice for Saturday’s game.

Honestly, I have faith in Babers to do what is best for this team. I'll be rooting for whomever he has in there and trust that he knows his players.

I honestly don't after waiting to the absolute last second to switch to the other qb. He's stubborn, like every other HC not named Saban or Belichick. Anyone w eyeballs know who's the better qb at this point.

Dino is a great leader of men, a great coach for Syracuse. I do not want a change there at all. But we danced dangerously in that game not making the switch earlier. We were a play away from being 4-3 and essentially p*ssing away any potential for this season.

I hope Dino learned from that situation

I honestly don't after waiting to the absolute last second to switch to the other qb. He's stubborn, like every other HC not named Saban or Belichick. Anyone w eyeballs know who's the better qb at this point.

Dino is a great leader of men, a great coach for Syracuse. I do not want a change there at all. But we danced dangerously in that game not making the switch earlier. We were a play away from being 4-3 and essentially p*ssing away any potential for this season.

I hope Dino learned from that situation

Dino is a smart man and knows the current layout and big picture of what he wants. I haven't been this comfortable with a SUHC in a long long time.

Starting DeVito and using Dungey in relief seems more logical to me.

If you go with Dungey on a short leash I just think that’s very problematic and why would you want to go with a guy who’s on a short leash? What gets him pulled and how long do you wait?

The only way I see preventing strife and starting Dungey (with no leash) is by playing both QBs and they both know it going in.

Not an easy decision this weekend as NC State has a tough defense. Maybe a platoon is the best choice for Saturday’s game.
Best post on the subject.

ED has been fine in his first few drives. Have him start, but on a short leash.

Yes, TD obviously won us the UNC game and largely FSU game, but ED won us the WMU game.

It’s 100 percent obvious ED is hurt. He would never be confused with Troy Aikmain regarding his accuracy, but I don’t ever recall him making some of these throws over the course of his career.

He’s always thrown the deep ball relatively well (that strike his freshman year against Wake anyone), and this year I’m not sure he can throw it over 35 yards down the field.

He was awesome against WMU, and then that injury against FSU happened where he started grabbing his arm, and he hasn’t been the same since.

TD didnt go thru progressions he just made better throws on his reads. thats why he threw a INT on a simple coverage. His accuracy is night and day, but there were a bunch of plays that Dungey made that TD never makes.

as much as people make it a QB thing its still a team game and the SR leader probably has the team still. But we dont go to 5 min to go before making the switch if it happens again.
ED misread a lot of plays though and he took off too soon far too often where if he had waited a split second more, guys would have been open. Even on RROs, he keeps a lot of times when he should be handing off. And, I don't know what to say about his last series. Those two plays were mindboggling and so out of character for him.

It must be that people who post on this board haven't watched much football before. They haven't seen backup QB's come in and look amazing only to get the full starting job and then look much different, more imperfect. What ever decision the coach makes, I'm sure he will take into consideration all variables and will make a good plan.

ED misread a lot of plays though and he took off too soon far too often where if he had waited a split second more, guys would have been open. Even on RROs, he keeps a lot of times when he should be handing off. And, I don't know what to say about his last series. Those two plays were mindboggling and so out of character for him.
I guess I'm the only person in the universe who thought him shoveling a pass to no one was not the bonehead play everyone thinks given that he was about (and was ultimately ruled) to be down. Apparently the refs didn't even question if it was a pass. Why? It wasn't a fumble. He was attempting to save a few yards by doing what he did. How was that a fumble?

I do agree with ya but if ward uses his damn brain and runs other backers as well as starters it won’t happen. We have the guys now we need the coach to put em in. I would line Richards up with Dillon and tell him to mirror step him to the los. 2nd half have Guthrie do it. These coaches make some coin and need to earn it lol.

I agree. Since everyone is putting our run defense under pressure, we have to scrap the nickel as our base defense, and go back to 3 LBs and 2 safeties. Sure, if we play against a spread offense, go to the 4-2-5, but people have been running it down our throats lately; we have to make adjustments.

It’s exactly where I am.

So you weren't remotely worried about how that game was going on Saturday? I feel like people look at the result and forget the process. The team came off a two week break and effectively handed the game to a really mediocre UNC team. Dino is not infallible. I cannot imagine for the life of me why an injured Dungey makes us better at this point? That offense runs on precision throwing. Dungey is more of a Trubisky type who is at his best when the coverage is blanketed and he can run out of his progressions.

I think the offense would be fantastic if they took the New Orleans approach where Dungey becomes like Hill and is the H-Back and occasional goal line qb. Devito reminds me of Brees in statute and arm.

I guess I'm the only person in the universe who thought him shoveling a pass to no one was not the bonehead play everyone thinks given that he was about (and was ultimately ruled) to be down. Apparently the refs didn't even question if it was a pass. Why? It wasn't a fumble. He was attempting to save a few yards by doing what he did. How was that a fumble?
I think that play was the straw that convinced Dino to put in Tommy.

I will still go with ED fellas. ED's decision making and play making ability is obviously hindered by his injury. Devito was brought in to make down field throws when they needed it. Thats what he did and has proven he can do. What he hasnt proven is starting a ACC game after being scouted and game planned for. Two different things. There's still a level of unknowing. We do know that ED is the leading rusher and leader of this team. You start him and bring TD in if you have to. That seems to work. They have won every game when that happened. Why change that?
And Devito hasn't had the chance to get starters reps in practice. He hasn't had the chance to get packages and a game plan installed to fit his strengths. He has shown that he can take a comatose Dungey led offense and inject life into it (remember, we had 6 points at halftime against FSU, despite the defense dominating). Imagine how much better positioned Devito will be actually knowing he will be the starter and being mentally prepared for it. Other teams being able to scout and gameplan for him is such a comparatively small thing - mostly because Dungey's deficiencies limit what Syracuse can attempt to do on offense. Much more of the offense is accessible with Devito.

This is seriously flawed thinking, and can be used to justify playing a less productive and less talented older player over a more productive, more talented younger player. It is about the program, not the player. The better, more productive player plays. It is plainly obvious to anyone watching these games that Dungey is severely limiting the offense with his lack of accuracy, poor arm strength, and questionable decision making. If you bench Devito and start Dungey, you signal to the entire team that results don't matter.

Alabama did it. Clemson did it. Notre Dame did it. Syracuse needs to do it.

I have never seen an SU QB with the kind of arm that Tommy has.

He also threw a bad INT due to his inexperience.

I would start Dungey and bring Tommy out of the bullpen.
I went back and re-watched the game last night. Dungey had at least 3 throws that should have been INT's. Two of those were thrown horribly behind the intended target such that the ball popped up in the air. Those almost always end in INT's, but fortunately for Syracuse fell to the ground. Those don't include the perpetually underthrown deep balls, which are always at risk for an INT.

At least Devito is freshman learning from mistakes. He has to go through those growing pains at some point. I'd rather take the redshirt freshman with the quick release and NFL arm who is the future of the program, and has shown the ability to move the ball, over the senior who continues to have accuracy issues, lacks arm strenths (injury influenced or not) and is prone to hero ball.

If we had to play that game over, which QB do you think UNC would want us to start?

Wasn't he 2 yards past the LOS? And, btw, it was ruled a fumble on the field before being overturned for his knee being down, so not a good play.

UNC is not a terrible team. probably the 2nd best team talent wise we have played all yr.

Wasn't he 2 yards past the LOS? And, btw, it was ruled a fumble on the field before being overturned for his knee being down, so not a good play.
Could be wrong but I thought he was behind the LOS. I know it was ruled a fumble. I thought it was a forward pass.

If Eric wasn't injured there wouldn't be a debate. A healthy ED beats Clemson, destroys Pitt and NC. In the past an injured Eric was still our best bet. With Tommy that is no longer true.
A healthy Tommy should start over an injured Eric.
This is probably the most rational post ive seen on this issue/blessing

So you weren't remotely worried about how that game was going on Saturday? I feel like people look at the result and forget the process. The team came off a two week break and effectively handed the game to a really mediocre UNC team. Dino is not infallible. I cannot imagine for the life of me why an injured Dungey makes us better at this point? That offense runs on precision throwing. Dungey is more of a Trubisky type who is at his best when the coverage is blanketed and he can run out of his progressions.

I think the offense would be fantastic if they took the New Orleans approach where Dungey becomes like Hill and is the H-Back and occasional goal line qb. Devito reminds me of Brees in statute and arm.

Remember all those threads that said PAY THE MAN NOW? Or IN DINO WE TRUST? I’m gonna trust Babers to do what’s best for the team vs NCSt. He’s got all week to figure it out.

UNC is not a terrible team. probably the 2nd best team talent wise we have played all yr.

Talent doesn’t always translate to production. Injuries/suspensions/coach outweigh their talent. They are not a good team.

Remember all those threads that said PAY THE MAN NOW? Or IN DINO WE TRUST? I’m gonna trust Babers to do what’s best for the team vs NCSt. He’s got all week to figure it out.

Yeah about that. Our fans are dumb.

Complaining about Dino all day on Twitter Saturday.

They must want gerg back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors