Tommy has to start vs NC State. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy has to start vs NC State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BC is a power running team. I don't see how we beat them, to be honest.
By jumping out to a large early lead and forcing them to abandon what they're good at.

Louisville may be bad this year, but we haven't done great against them in recent years, and the teams that have been supposedly worse in the ACC, we've lost to, or barely beat.
In recent years they've had a Heisman winning freak of an athlete at QB. He gone...and they bad.

I've thought we're better than Wake ever since we entered the league and we keep losing to them, too.
We beat them 3 straight years before a game played in a Hurricane and a game where Mahoney was our starting QB. They've also had a pretty good QB in Wolford who finally retired at the age of 41 after 23 years in the league.

NC State was undefeated until yesterday.
Undefeated against James Madison, Georgia State, Marshall, UVA, and a 5-point win over a BC team that didn't have AJ Dillon. That said, they're the toughest remaining game other than ND.

Notre Dame is Notre Dame, and the game is at Yankee Stadium, where they will have the crowd, and the weather may be poor, again, favoring strong running teams.
Yeah, this is pretty much how I see it too.

I agree with you that there are no "gimmes" for us going forward. But, other than ND, I wouldn't write us off in any of those games either. Other than Clemson (good) and Louisville (bad), the ACC is a big pile of mediocre this year.

No, I assure you my memory is very good. I just happen to value QB attributes like arm strength and accuracy over attributes like grit and determination .

The cult of Dungey is strongggggggggg on this board - not everyone, but there is a health percentage of this board that acts like Dungey can do no wrong and will not listen or engage with anything or anyone saying something contrary. Some of it is earned, most of it is hero worship. OMG HE KICKED A LB IN THE FACE I WANT A QB LIKE THAT!!

Dungey is not a particularly good QB. He is not particularly talented as a thrower, he's a very good runner. He's a solid college QB. He's the kind of guy Bill Snyder might make a run at a Big 12 championship with. He was fortunate to be in a place with ABSOLUTELY zero QB talent, and a coach with an amazing QB system was hired. He has put up numbers, but they have all been inflated by pace. On an efficiency level, Dungey led offenses are middling. Given our defensive issues, we cannot have an inefficient offense.

I appreciate Dungey for what he has done - he was clearly the best QB on the roster his first 3 seasons, and he always gave his all. He rightly should be recognized for those things. But I care about the Syracuse program more than I care about Dungey's feelings. Devito is more talented, he has proven he can close out and win games, and the offense looks much, MUCH better with Devito at the helm. His attributes are a better fit and he is, without a doubt, the future for Syracuse.

If Dungey stayed in the NC game, we most likely lose. We lost at Pitt. Back to back weeks losing to the dregs of the ACC. It is fair to speculate whether Devito would have been a spark that would have led to a win at Pitt. It is fair to wonder if Devito's threat of downfield throws (not to mention ability to not one hop a throw to the WR on the edge) would have been enough.

This is an obvious decision. Saban would go with Devito, as we've seen in his decision making. Dabo would go with Devito, as we've seen in his decision making. Julian Whigham thinks it is an obvious choice. I'd venture to say anyone who isn't captive to the cult of Dungey sees it as an obvious choice.
I want Dungey on the field. He's a firebrand. However, I think perhaps there should be some thought to having Tommy start at QB, with Dungey as a TE or other role where we can get the ball in his hands in the open field. He's perhaps our best runner even if he's struggling to throw. It may seem unlikely, but other than egos what's the downside to having them on the field together? They're our two best offensive weapons and think some creativity could make the dilemma a win/win/win...

What was most impressive about TD was his composure being tossed into a very difficult situation. Threw accurate darts all over the field. Amazing how hard he throws and we have guys that can catch them. Ride the hot hand.

I never understood why it is sacrosanct to pull a starting QB for a series or two, especially if the starter isn't productive or the backup is almost as good or brings a different skill set or the starter is injured and not operating at 100%. All 4 apply to this situation. For some reason, it is accepted to rotate OLs, DLs, RBs, WRs, etc., but not QBs. The 'quarterback controversy' is usually just media nonsense.

I think TD should have been rotated in every game this season.

Last edited:
BC is a power running team. I don't see how we beat them, to be honest.
Louisville may be bad this year, but we haven't done great against them in recent years, and the teams that have been supposedly worse in the ACC, we've lost to, or barely beat.
I've thought we're better than Wake ever since we entered the league and we keep losing to them, too. NC State was undefeated until yesterday. Notre Dame is Notre Dame, and the game is at Yankee Stadium, where they will have the crowd, and the weather may be poor, again, favoring strong running teams.

Ya and Clemson is one of the top 2 teams in the country and we dominated them last year and beat them again for another 3 out of 4 quarters this year.

FSU has 4 and 5 stars all over the field and are a perennial power, but they got that work too.

Must have forgot about those games?

He’s got a pro arm and he also gets the ball out exceptionally quickly. He hit I think it was Harris on a 10-15 yard out and TD clearly threw the ball before Harris started his cut. Much as I love ED, he doesn’t quite have that level of passing skill.

Last edited:
The tailback fleaflicker would take on a new dimension with ED the tailback.

I want Dungey on the field. He's a firebrand. However, I think perhaps there should be some thought to having Tommy start at QB, with Dungey as a TE or other role where we can get the ball in his hands in the open field. He's perhaps our best runner even if he's struggling to throw. It may seem unlikely, but other than egos what's the downside to having them on the field together? They're our two best offensive weapons and think some creativity could make the dilemma a win/win/win...

Ya and Clemson is one of the top 2 teams in the country and we dominated them last year and beat them again for another 3 out of 4 quarters this year.

FSU has 4 and 5 stars all over the field and are a perennial power, but they got that work too.

It's not about our rear view mirror. Those games are over.
It's about what lies ahead.

The last 2 weeks we lost at Pitt, who is terrible, and we had to come from behind to win against UNC, who everybody thought was a sure win.

Who are you more comfortable starting right now at QB?

How many sure wins do you still see in our remaining schedule, knowing that even after the bye week, Dungey is still not healthy, can't throw properly and probably won't be 100% recovered for the rest of the year?

Is this an 8 win team with an injured Dungey who doesn't play any better than the last 2 games for the rest of the year with him staying the starter?

Does moxie get you to 8 wins, or does a passing QB?

I think with a proper defensive setup against them we can beat them. Dillon is a load but he isn’t a juck type of guy so I say we play shy richards Guthrie and come down hill and attack him and not sit and wait for him to truck your head over. Be the bat not the ball lol. If we start Td I think we can definatly win. Get up and early and hammer Dillon as much as possible. Hats to the ball.

Biggest thing to me with Dungey is he seems tentative and indecisive. On those vertical routes there is about a half a second in which to make a decision. The ball has to get out quick. Tommy made much quicker decisions and threw with far better anticipation. Eric has just seemed slow this year, slow to commit to a read and slow to get the ball out. The result has been the ball is not thrown more often than not, and when it is thrown it gets there late, which looks like an inaccurate throw.

It's not about our rear view mirror. Those games are over.
It's about what lies ahead.

The last 2 weeks we lost at Pitt, who is terrible, and we had to come from behind to win against UNC, who everybody thought was a sure win.

Who are you more comfortable starting right now at QB?

How many sure wins do you still see in our remaining schedule, knowing that even after the bye week, Dungey is still not healthy, can't throw properly and probably won't be 100% recovered for the rest of the year?

Is this an 8 win team with an injured Dungey who doesn't play any better than the last 2 games for the rest of the year with him staying the starter?

Does moxie get you to 8 wins, or does a passing QB?

They are better with Devito anyways. I'm all in on him. Sure they lost to Pitt, but and narrowly beat UNC, but it's not like those are bad teams. Both of them can beat anybody in the ACC. They could just as easily be 7-0. I am confident in Louisville, Wake, and feel they have a really good chance to beat NCST. As for BC they certainly aren't outclassed. ND will most likely be undefeated and looking to choke. Once they got to 4-0 I said 8 wins would be minimum or i'd be disappointed. I'm sticking with that.

I think with a proper defensive setup against them we can beat them. Dillon is a load but he isn’t a juck type of guy so I say we play shy richards Guthrie and come down hill and attack him and not sit and wait for him to truck your head over. Be the bat not the ball lol. If we start Td I think we can definatly win. Get up and early and hammer Dillon as much as possible. Hats to the ball.
Dillon might run for 300 against us. Absolute nightmare matchup with BC's OL.

I will still go with ED fellas. ED's decision making and play making ability is obviously hindered by his injury. Devito was brought in to make down field throws when they needed it. Thats what he did and has proven he can do. What he hasnt proven is starting a ACC game after being scouted and game planned for. Two different things. There's still a level of unknowing. We do know that ED is the leading rusher and leader of this team. You start him and bring TD in if you have to. That seems to work. They have won every game when that happened. Why change that?

Last edited:
Dillon might run for 300 against us. Absolute nightmare matchup with BC's OL.
He could depends on if we jump them or not. Conceptually defending the I isn’t real tough. Downhill teams do well against bc. I think we attack the crap out of them on offense and slow down their need to run. We seem to play to level of team we are playing so we have a shot in my head. Let’s go

I will still go with ED fellas. ED's decision making and play making ability is obviously hindered by his injury. Devito was brought in to make down field throws when they needed it. Thats what he did and has proven he can do. What he hasnt proven is starting a ACC game after being scouted and game planned for. Two different things. There's still a level of unknowing. We do know that ED is the leading rusher and leader of this team. You start him and bring TD in if you have too. That seems to work. They have won every game when that happened. Why change that?

I agree.

There is clearly something wrong with Eric's arm.

He is not the same QB that was last year or the year before that.

But his a true leader and has the experience to lead this team.

He could depends on if we jump them or not. Conceptually defending the I isn’t real tough. Downhill teams do well against bc. I think we attack the crap out of them on offense and slow down their need to run. We seem to play to level of team we are playing so we have a shot in my head. Let’s go

We have to get like a 3 score lead on them for this to work.
We have been giving up a ton of yards on the ground, and once again, our defense is wearing down late in games.

We have been giving up a ton of yards on the ground, and once again, our defense is wearing down late in games.
BC has a very difficult stretch coming up. They may not be held together by much by the time we get to the end of the season.

We may be pretty banged up by the end of the year too, but, whatever.

Way too much attention is being paid on who starts.

Tommy has earned a right to significant snaps going forward.

Some may be as a starter, some as a reliever.

I’d guess we see about 50/50 between these two to close out. We’ll be at our best with both engaged.

Way too much attention is being paid on who starts.

Tommy has earned a right to significant snaps going forward.

Some may be as a starter, some as a reliever.

I’d guess we see about 50/50 between these two to close out. We’ll be at our best with both engaged.

Devito won me over with those throws I am 100% behind him. I can't bench someone who does that. It would be like Saban going back to Hurts after the National Championship he was that good.

I think the reason Dungey is untouchable and the best option in the eyes of some is because his backups were so terrible the previous 3 seasons and Cuse football wasn't good without him those years. That really has zero to do with this years team.

Eric isn't the same guy and is clearly hurt but I am thrilled to have him as a backup and a second option. A game like ND he could be the better option but I want to attack NCst/Wake/Ville with passes down the field and not rely on broken plays to pick up first downs.

50-50 is too much drama for me. Has to be Devito's job to lose with Dungey getting some wildcat snaps and maybe a couple series. For now. The bar is going to be pretty high for Devito with one of our greatest QBs of all time on the sidelines in pads ready to come in.

BTW forget the arm strength holy is Devito's release quick. DBs do not have time to close on his balls with how fast he gets it out and the zip he puts on his passes. I can't watch a guy with an injured throwing shoulder play instead it will drive me bonkers.

I do agree with ya but if ward uses his damn brain and runs other backers as well as starters it won’t happen. We have the guys now we need the coach to put em in. I would line Richards up with Dillon and tell him to mirror step him to the los. 2nd half have Guthrie do it. These coaches make some coin and need to earn it lol.

If Eric wasn't injured there wouldn't be a debate. A healthy ED beats Clemson, destroys Pitt and NC. In the past an injured Eric was still our best bet. With Tommy that is no longer true.
A healthy Tommy should start over an injured Eric.

I think EVERYONE would agree that Pitt and North Carolina were the 2 worst teams in the entire ACC. We lost to one and barely beat the other at home in OT.

No game is a sure thing with this team.

I’m not sure anyone who has seen Louisville and Wake play would agree that Pitt and UNC are the two worst teams in the conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom