Tonight was legendary | Syracusefan.com

Tonight was legendary

ImperialOrange

Living Legend
Lets rewind from the refs taking cj's tying basket off the board and the Rak dunk that shouldve been an and 1 for the tie for a minute.

Somewhere around the 12 minute mark the outcome of the game became painfully obvious. It starts with Baye's 4th "foul" where the only contact was the offensive players extended arm in his chest. Including that there were 3 offensive fouls on Duke called as fouls on Syracuse, a loose ball tie up called as a foul on Syracuse, and Baye and Grant both getting hacked at the rim not getting called. Somehow, in rapid succession, 5 Duke fouls and a jump ball were called as 4 Syracuse fouls. It was a master work by the officials that I'm not sure they could duplicate.

For anyone that doesn't understand why jb went ballistic please go back and watch from that segment forward. Yeah we're only down 2 without the techs BUT after witnessing the final third of the game he is 100% right that the game was over after the cj call. We wouldn't have been allowed to win this game and the final call iced the cake.

This is the type of game that you're happy your team experienced on the road when there are only neutral games left in the NCAA tournament. There's no such thing as a good loss, but this has high potential to be a character building loss in so many ways.

That second half was just a building and building until JB reached his boiling point.

And the team still nutted up and almost got the W! The coach has to go off there otherwise one of the players might. Cooney looked ready to go wayne brady! If b doesnt go off a player might and get himself suspended for who knows how long.

And the team still nutted up and almost got the W! The coach has to go off there otherwise one of the players might. Cooney looked ready to go wayne brady! If b doesnt go off a player might and get himself suspended for who knows how long.

image.jpg

That 3-4 minute period was ridiculous.

Im pretty sure behind closed doors...the coaches will be talking about "how they do things down here against us northern aggressors"

YES. As egregious as the foul calling was, this game is now part of the building legend that will be the Duke/SU rivalry.

It is interesting, though, is it not, that we blame Duke for the refs calls? It's not the Duke players' fault that the refs ef up. I think the reffing is just seriously awful across the board this year, especially with the "new rules" that none of them seem to follow or understand. I hope something happens by the NCAA officiating overlords and I am betting that Boeheim's Boil Over will be part of that. Something has GOT to change!

YES. As egregious as the foul calling was, this game is now part of the building legend that will be the Duke/SU rivalry.

It is interesting, though, is it not, that we blame Duke for the refs calls? It's not the Duke players' fault that the refs ef up. I think the reffing is just seriously awful across the board this year, especially with the "new rules" that none of them seem to follow or understand. I hope something happens by the NCAA officiating overlords and I am betting that Boeheim's Boil Over will be part of that. Something has GOT to change!

Im not mad at Duke for the calls to be honest. I thought K made some great adjustments this time out and was pleasantly surprised at how well we played despite that. Suppose I'm more disappointed in fully expecting the calls and yet being so miffed when they occurred but it wasn't Duke blowing the whistles.

In the end, it's just a game.

I totally agree. Jimmy had to let it all go at that point. Call after call (or no call) was building up and the hand writing was on the wall. Hopefully the powers to be will take a look at this. I can see a missed call here and there but when you total up the non-calls and calls that seemed to go one way, you have to wonder. Duke players played a tough game and should not be belittled for the refs trying to dictate the outcome of the game. Welcome to tobacco road!!!!

Im not mad at Duke for the calls to be honest. I thought K made some great adjustments this time out and was pleasantly surprised at how well we played despite that. Suppose I'm more disappointed in fully expecting the calls and yet being so miffed when they occurred but it wasn't Duke blowing the whistles.

In the end, it's just a game.
Yup. In these high level games you can say "we should have done this or that" but it usually comes down to a few plays. Refs can't keep being the MAJOR deciding factors in these games. Thank goodness, this was just a regular season game and not Final 4 déjà vu.

If you're referring to the Parker rebound I disagree that was a jump ball; though it is called that frequently by college refs who for some reason have a hard-on for calling tie-ups.
The no-call on Rak is also a wash w/ Parker's 1handed put-back where Cooney fouled him...

No argument on the ending or Baye's mysterious 4th..
Or the Grant muggings but that's nothing new if you watched the @Pitt game. Not sure what he has to do to get a call on the road. Sometimes I feel like he's too theatrical in trying to get a whistle but to his credit he does still try to finish plays and does sometimes make the shot anyway.
Stuff like that is why getting MSG matters I think.

Yup. In these high level games you can say "we should have done this or that" but it usually comes down to a few plays. Refs can't keep being the MAJOR deciding factors in these games. Thank goodness, this was just a regular season game and not Final 4 déjà vu.

The thing is, if we play the exact same game against providence a ton of those calls would be made differently and I hate that. With the game being called as it was Duke wouldve been foolish to change tactics BUT had it been called differently they are talented enough to adjust, play great and beat us regardless. What reffing as it is now we (college hoops fans) are consistently robbed of seeing teams adjust and play great basketball.

Let's not whine about the refs, we have revived our fair share of calls this year?

My question is how did we allow that stiff Plumlee to look like an All Star in the first half? He may be the biggest stiff since Shawn Bradley!

Let's not whine about the refs, we have revived our fair share of calls this year?

My question is how did we allow that stiff Plumlee to look like an All Star in the first half? He may be the biggest stiff since Shawn Bradley!
No one's whining about the refs. They are simply holding them accountable for a poor performance. And just to show you I'm being fair, the Flagrant #1 call in the first half was a bs call on Duke. The refs more than made up for that call in the 2nd half.

And just to show you I'm being fair, the Flagrant #1 call in the first half was a bs call on Duke. The refs more than made up for that call in the 2nd half.

Right after that call I told my wife that there would be payback. I hate being right.

I did like that jump ball where the duke guy (Parker I think) started spinning around like a tilt a whirl. He didn't throw elbows at least so maybe that's why they called the foul on cuse.

Lets rewind from the refs taking cj's tying basket off the board and the Rak dunk that shouldve been an and 1 for the tie for a minute.

Somewhere around the 12 minute mark the outcome of the game became painfully obvious. It starts with Baye's 4th "foul" where the only contact was the offensive players extended arm in his chest. Including that there were 3 offensive fouls on Duke called as fouls on Syracuse, a loose ball tie up called as a foul on Syracuse, and Baye and Grant both getting hacked at the rim not getting called. Somehow, in rapid succession, 5 Duke fouls and a jump ball were called as 4 Syracuse fouls. It was a master work by the officials that I'm not sure they could duplicate.

For anyone that doesn't understand why jb went ballistic please go back and watch from that segment forward. Yeah we're only down 2 without the techs BUT after witnessing the final third of the game he is 100% right that the game was over after the cj call. We wouldn't have been allowed to win this game and the final call iced the cake.
Great post, but I think it actually started for the beginning. Go back and watch the first 4 minutes. 2 times Duke goes over Syr's back to get a rebound. No call. The first time Grant tries the same thing. Foul. JB wasn't happy right then. I said right then the calls were not even going to be remotely close.

Not to mention Duke handchecked Ennis for 40 minutes which is supposed to be a foul and a point of emphasis.

ImperialOrange said:
Lets rewind from the refs taking cj's tying basket off the board and the Rak dunk that shouldve been an and 1 for the tie for a minute. Somewhere around the 12 minute mark the outcome of the game became painfully obvious. It starts with Baye's 4th "foul" where the only contact was the offensive players extended arm in his chest. Including that there were 3 offensive fouls on Duke called as fouls on Syracuse, a loose ball tie up called as a foul on Syracuse, and Baye and Grant both getting hacked at the rim not getting called. Somehow, in rapid succession, 5 Duke fouls and a jump ball were called as 4 Syracuse fouls. It was a master work by the officials that I'm not sure they could duplicate. For anyone that doesn't understand why jb went ballistic please go back and watch from that segment forward. Yeah we're only down 2 without the techs BUT after witnessing the final third of the game he is 100% right that the game was over after the cj call. We wouldn't have been allowed to win this game and the final call iced the cake.

CJ tripped and falls 1H, his fault. Travel

Duke guy trips and falls 2H, foul on Syracuse

Lesson learned, btw...you're gonna have to make a midrange play at the end of a game against Duke, cause there's gonna be a guy under the basket who's gonna fall down, and they're gonna give it 'em

Baye needs to settle under the basket on O

Before we begin sounding like a bunch of whining puppies...like those that are chastised on other boards I want to empahtically say that Duke played a very good game and with or without the fouls could easily have won the game. Coach K's strategy to cover Ennis like a blanket was incredible and resulted in unEnnis-like turnovers. With that being said I agree the officiating was horrible. The flagrant against Duke was an abysmal call. And the rest of the game just followed.
It is terrible when a game with 2 teams such as Duke and SU has to be made irrelevant as a consequence of poor officiating ... on both sides.

Reminded me of that guy that used to play for Georgetown...?Bullis? Dude never did a thing and then looked like a decent player against SU. I think the zone brings it out in them, guys that don't do crap against Man to man but have success vs the zone.

Exactamundo!!!!!