Total Rebuild. 3-4 years. Nm | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Total Rebuild. 3-4 years. Nm

I don't think he has to have success here to get hired. There are plenty of examples of coaches, hired each year, who were terrible at their last job or even jobs. Every year that is true. Dino has history of success, a lot of head scratching coaching hires don't even have that.

He's not going anywhere. He took this job knowing it was a climb up.

How much suck can the fan base take ?

I mean our record attendance this year is 32 000... Imagine what it will be like towards the end.

We should ignore attendance. It won't get better until we're better. All the ppl jumping off will have to jump back on midway next season.

How much suck can the fan base take ?

I mean our record attendance this year is 32 000... Imagine what it will be like towards the end.

Not much more I'm afraid. I understand that this is an entirely new coaching staff, system, etc., but we, for the most part, have been just putrid for such a long period now that it's difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel. I've been trying to close my eyes lately, but it ain't working for me...please wake me up when this nightmare is over. :(

He's not going anywhere. He took this job knowing it was a climb up.

You also tried convincing me Shafer had a plan on offense.

I know you want Babers to stay and so do I. I also know you have no idea if he will or not. He sounded more like a coach with potential to leave at some point the last two weeks than a coach knowing what he was truly walking into.

Not much more I'm afraid. I understand that this is an entirely new coaching staff, system, etc., but we, for the most part, have been just putrid for such a long period now that it's difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel. I've been trying to close my eyes lately, but it ain't working for me...please wake me up when this nightmare is over. :(

A lot of people are talking like this lately...it's almost like that 3 bowl wins in 4 years stretch didn't happen, for some of you. The last 2 years were brutal. We were pretty decent before that.

You should know better. If we kept score of our rights any wrongs on a msg board, none of us should post.

You think Babers who was a part of Briles rise at Baylor, who repeatedly has outlined how long it will take, will walk away because it's hard?

It's ugly right now because it's the beginning of getting it right. He knows.

You're assuming he stays that long. The attendance at the end of the season, if not before is going to insanely bad.

If he does leave early, I think it will be a deathblow.

07ca1836a7aab6eb912ffc9a65a5f5ce.jpg

I know you want Babers to stay and so do I. I also know you have no idea if he will or not. He sounded more like a coach with potential to leave at some point the last two weeks than a coach knowing what he was truly walking into.

When? I've watched every presser. He seems quietly confident that it will take time. Just like he said.

I don't think he has to have success here to get hired. There are plenty of examples of coaches, hired each year, who were terrible at their last job or even jobs. Every year that is true. Dino has history of success, a lot of head scratching coaching hires don't even have that.
Talk about horse before the cart

The man has said, repeatedly;
"The light bulb usually goes on in year 2, that's when you'll start seeing progress".
We just finished Game #3. The 2 blowouts came against teams with now established HC's in their 3rd-4th years. USF & UL both struggled early, look at where they are now.
Let's everyone calm down- we have a loong haul ahead of us!
"Faith without evidence"...remember?

When? I've watched every presser. He seems quietly confident that it will take time. Just like he said.

Pretty sure there is threads on here somewhere about his comments after the low attendance game 1 and his comment about whether he's still here, after game 2.

He was positive about special teams last week. That was nice to see I guess.

A lot of people are talking like this lately...it's almost like that 3 bowl wins in 4 years stretch didn't happen, for some of you. The last 2 years were brutal. We were pretty decent before that.

You're correct...at least partially.

For whatever reason, for me, it does feel like it didn't happen. I don't know why, maybe because beforehand we were so lousy prior to Marrone righting the ship and getting us back to mediocrity. Getting us there was surely an incredible feat based on how far we had fallen. However, I'm not sure if I would agree that 'pretty decent' is the same as what we actually were, and that was mediocre. We played in mediocre bowls against very mediocre teams. But, I'd take that now in a heartbeat as it does seem (to me) that that was forever ago, and we have since fallen back into the abyss. :(:noidea:

I honestly don't think the wins and losses matter this year, not with this defense and our depth. Still, I expect to win 4-6 because we match up well with teams that are limited offensively like BC, Wake, and UConn.

Next year I think we're looking at 6-8 wins with improved depth on both sides of the ball and our offense becoming more comfortable with this system

After 2017, I think we will be a pretty damn good football program

Pretty sure there is threads on here somewhere about his comments after the low attendance game 1 and his comment about whether he's still here, after game 2.

He was positive about special teams last week. That was nice to see I guess.

Yeah - thought those were people reading too much into it. "Freudian slips" vs repeated comments on the contrary might speak to our own insecurities rather than anything substantial.

Exactly right. When 6-6 get you a bowl making one doesn't feel like an accomplishment.

IMHO, the bowl game itself is an afterthought, especially the lower end ones.

It's the 15 extra practices that are worth their weight in gold. So incredibly valuable and allows teams to get so much better year over year. It's basically the equivalent of getting 2 spring ball camps. Huge, especially for a program installing new systems on both sides of the ball.

I honestly don't think the wins and losses matter this year, not with this defense and our depth. Still, I expect to win 4-6 because we match up well with teams that are limited offensively like BC, Wake, and UConn.

Next year I think we're looking at 6-8 wins with improved depth on both sides of the ball and our offense becoming more comfortable with this system

After 2017, I think we will be a pretty damn good football program
How do you attract better talent when you are staring at a 3 or 4 win season? We are not in a good space. As a p-5 team there is no substitute for strength and speed. We need athletes that can compete against the best

How do you attract better talent when you are staring at a 3 or 4 win season? We are not in a good space. As a p-5 team there is no substitute for strength and speed. We need athletes that can compete against the best

If I were an offensive skill player, I'd be paying a lot of attention to our numbers, even in these loses. Erv, Amba, and Eric are in the process of blowing up our record books and rising up the national stats.

We'll be fine. Defensively? Not as sure.

Think Babers was saying 1.5 years just to be competitive with most in the ACC meaning chance at winning record/bowl game. So exactly, any chance of real success is min. 3-4 years away. Probably 5 like with coach Mac.

Last edited:
Yeah - thought those were people reading too much into it. "Freudian slips" vs repeated comments on the contrary might speak to our own insecurities rather than anything substantial.

People get way too uptight about anything perceived as negative. I hope to hell he didn't intend it in that way, it's very possible. He's also been to a lot of places and I'm sure he tells each place he wants to be there because that's what coaches do. I like the guy a lot, I think he seems to be less like a b.s. normal coach and a little more genuine but that doesn't mean he won't jump at a different opportunity in year 2, 3, or 4. Anyone suggesting he will is just crossing their fingers, which is exactly what I'm doing. I have complete confidence he will make us a legit football program again. I just hope he stays for a long period of time because I'm so scared of getting another sh!tty coach.

As far as "insecurities" - that's very possible and fine. You at times are also at the most extreme end of that too. I don't think either is really much different.

Because
  1. We can say we went to a bowl
  2. We get 15 extra practices
  3. We can tell recruits we went to a bowl
Tell the kids that got to play in a bowl game that it doesn't feel like an accomplishment.
In what word do you see 5 more wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom