Towson Game Thread... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Towson Game Thread...

Perfect summary. We haven't gotten a player worthy of the 22 since Dan Hardy.

We need just a few more difference makers than building up what we have which is a consistent good team with more depth than most.

We need more home run hitters.

There are some coming, Quinn this fall and Magnan and Cook in 2018. Recruiting fell of the map for a few years but this past class and the next 3 are all higher end ones and the best since probably the White/Galloway class

Same thing against Hopkins and Maryland. The 0-4 on the man up and the dumb turnovers were the killer. So sick of watching this crap every year in the QF's. Can't wait for Dekso's PC where he takes zero blame.
Been the same broken record for 3 years, but I blame the players too. Just cannot wait so long for the frantic comeback to start.

Quick thoughts.

Syracuse shot themselves in the first quarter.
Syracuse allowed Towson to play their game.
Refs refused to call the stall soon enough.
Syracuse showed they can still play aggressive fast break lacrosse but it is apparently not stressed enough.
Towson won, they deserve the credit but they should not have had a chance against this team based on what we know they can do.
Williams is hurt, not close to what he was the last two seasons and early this year.
Rehfuss is the QB of the future.
The spread offense should only be used when the aggressive attack/transition game does not work.
Refs were generous to the underdog or non-blocking (seems to be a theme this post season, just my opinion from what I have seen, no stats to support my position)

Love my Orange! Sad they lost. Desko has the team ready next year and the young kids want it.

Don't forget Virginia. 1980s, 1990s and 2000s final four teams are not what they used to be.

Virginia the writing was on the wall for awhile that 2011 run was an outlier that saved Starsias job but only postponed the inevitable. SU's no where near that position thank god but a shake up or some significant changes would do this program good.

SU's not supplementing their athletic budget from Lax donations. Doing nothing has turned Hopkins into laughingstock and Princeton into total irrelevance. I am certainly not advocating for Dekso to be fired or any nonsense like that but weve reached a point where simply shrugging our shoulders isn't going to fly.

We have a brand new IPF.

We have a brand new LAX player lounge at Manley.

We have the best uniforms and equipment that STX and Nike can provide.

We have the best LAX stadium in the Northeast.

Where aren't we spending enough money? You want to replace Donahue and Rogers with higher paid assistants? You want Desko to go on recruiting trips with a gym bag filled with cash?

What do you think we need that we don't already have?

ACC lax having a bad weekend. For the most part, it looks as though Midwest and West teams are stealing the spotlight.
It's been a horrendous weekend. Not one of the games was competitive. Physical teams have won this weekend.

C'mon Scooby, save the game from the B1G borefest!!

You're our only hope.

Been the same broken record for 3 years, but I blame the players too. Just cannot wait so long for the frantic comeback to start.

Exactly, can't put it all on the staff but they were the ones who kept running an injured Ben out there, never corrected the Solomon anger/penalty issues, and were slow to play extended minutes to Rehfuss. Feel bad for Mariano just didnt have it today. Trimboli was a complete no show. D had been better this year but not a great game from them, SSDM really struggled.

He better do something, its his job this aint ESPN anymore.
This isn't a revenue generating sport either. Not making a move in football and hoops costs the school money. The landscape of college lacrosse has changed. Cuse can't show up and make it to the FF anymore. That's the most frustrating thing as a fan. There isn't nearly the pressure on Desko that there probably should be. This team was very entertaining this year but there was starting slow and having to come back. Same song, different verse this week. Towson defense was too good to overcome the deficit.

Exactly, can't put it all on the staff but they were the ones who kept running an injured Ben out there, never corrected the Solomon anger/penalty issues, and were slow to play extended minutes to Rehfuss. Feel bad for Mariano just didnt have it today. Trimboli was a complete no show. D had been better this year but not a great game from them, SSDM really struggled.
Other than not having the ball much (which was to be expected), I thought the D did a lot of standing around. Lot of doorstep shots for Towson today. Not much Molloy could do with some of them, but he wasn't sharp either.

We have a brand new IPF.

Where aren't we spending enough money? You want to replace Donahue and Rogers with higher paid assistants? You want Desko to go on recruiting trips with a gym bag filled with cash?

Hopkins can say the exact same things you outlined above, there a disaster.

Shaking up the staff is not the worst idea and having Desko actually attend a recruiting event would be a nice change of pace. SU's recruiting is why they have struggled the last few years to make a tourney run. Look at the attack this year you have Evans as your top point scorer and zero dodgers who start. With all those amenities that you pointed out why are we having to survive on transfers? SU's well deserved rep/history have allowed us to get badly needed transfers and our incredible ability to comeback has masked a lot of issues the past few years. Look at the first round of the ACC tourney we were down what 10-1? I didn't see Maryland getting down that much in the B10 tournament. This program has become way to comfortable, a little jolt would do it good.

I get what you are saying, because Desko is the one constant, but these no-shows in the QFs by our star senior players has become the issue. Staats, Rice, Donahue, now Mariano, Salcido - all crap performances in their last game. Williams shrinking to what he became was unlike anything I have seen. Could not pick up a GB to save his career.

Other than not having the ball much (which was to be expected), I thought the D did a lot of standing around. Lot of doorstep shots for Towson today. Not much Molloy could do with some of them, but he wasn't sharp either.

Desko noted during the week that the D was going to play off based on Towson's patience. Nadalen schemed us perfectly for it in the 1st quarter and then dropped back into their regular slow stall crap after.

We have a brand new IPF.

Maybe our approach is a little stale. Some of the newer, young faces in coaching have found a way to attack and defend us. It's not rocket science. I think many of us could figure out a way to game plan for SU. They're pretty predictable. I thought Towson had a great approach today. They defended us well and burned us with passes from behind to the top while our defenders were standing still. We let them dictate.

We were regulars on Final 4 weekend for years because we had better talent. The talent difference has narrowed considerably and bright, inevative coaches have an answer.

Shaking up the staff is not the worst idea and having Desko actually attend a recruiting event would be a nice change of pace. SU's recruiting is why they have struggled the last few years to make a tourney run. Look at the attack this year you have Evans as your top point scorer and zero dodgers who start. With all those amenities that you pointed out why are we having to survive on transfers? SU's well deserved rep/history have allowed us to get badly needed transfers and our incredible ability to comeback has masked a lot of issues the past few years. Look at the first round of the ACC tourney we were down what 10-1? I didn't see Maryland getting down that much in the B10 tournament. This program has become way to comfortable, a little jolt would do it good.
Maybe switch Donahue and Rogers? Again? Worked last time. ;)

I get what you are saying, because Desko is the one constant, but these no-shows in the QFs by our star senior players has become the issue. Staats, Rice, Donahue, now Mariano, Salcido - all crap performances in their last game. Williams shrinking to what he became was unlike anything I have seen. Could not pick up a GB to save his career.

Your right but Williams wasn't running himself out there. That 2015 loss was on the Defense and a team who didn't wake up until there was 10 min left in the 4th quarter. But again whose fault is that when the team keeps coming out like that? Teams are scheming to stop our star players we have to adjust and flash some new wrinkles. You have to attack Towson from the attack because their SSDM's and LSM are so good. Put Mariano at attack and Start Rehfuss. Have O'Sullivan play middie and just run his SSDM into the ground alley dodging over and over.

A transfer is just a kid who decided to commit to Syracuse one year late.

Maybe our approach is a little stale. Some of the newer, young faces in coaching have found a way to attack and defend us. It's not rocket science. I think many of us could figure out a way to game plan for SU. They're pretty predictable. I thought Towson had a great approach today. They defended us well and burned us with passes from behind to the top while our defenders were standing still. We let them dictate.

We were regulars on Final 4 weekend for years because we had better talent. The talent difference has narrowed considerably and bright, inevative coaches have an answer.

Hard to argue against any of that. Cant remember the last time SU came out and just jumped all over a team and blew them out in the NCAA's. Maybe Duke in 09? Way to long

That was just brutal to watch. Down 6-0 to Townsend after 1st Q was just pathetic, it's not as if they have a barn burner type O like Albany, just the opposite actually with their deliberate methodical style. Just way too many mistakes and foolish penalties in that first quarter. Really miss those Memorial Day weekends and the given SU appearances. Hoops on a decline along with lax really stinks...could usually rely on these two sports, but no longer appear to be the case. Football...well, it's been a long time since we could rely on more wins than losses...Ugh!

There are some coming, Quinn this fall and Magnan and Cook in 2018. Recruiting fell of the map for a few years but this past class and the next 3 are all higher end ones and the best since probably the White/Galloway class
Good to hear as recruiting in Lax has dipped.
We should be top 10 every year if not top 5 with the talent in NY.

Hard to argue against any of that. Cant remember the last time SU came out and just jumped all over a team and blew them out in the NCAA's. Maybe Duke in 09? Way to long
Duke in '13...but it didnt last.

Good to hear as recruiting in Lax has dipped.
We should be top 10 every year if not top 5 with the talent in NY.
Thats part of the problem - talent isnt in NY anymore. I think this year there were no top 25 kids from Section III in the IL rankings.

Same thing against Hopkins and Maryland. The 0-4 on the man up and the dumb turnovers were the killer. So sick of watching this crap every year in the QF's. Can't wait for Dekso's PC where he takes zero blame.

The players did play terrible though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom