Tucker - draft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tucker - draft

I will be shocked if he comes back, don't see it happening
Would I hate to see him come back and transfer sure but that's his choice
We have depth at RB and we will be fine

I'd think he'd test the waters and see what round he grades out to. I believe top 2 rounds are guaranteed contracts no?
As far as transferring, I'm not sure. He had a great season behind a worse line last year. If the drop in production is due to a lingering injury, I imagine he'd just stay where he's comfortable, and hopefully rhino returns and paves the way for him next year.

I'd think he'd test the waters and see what round he grades out to. I believe top 2 rounds are guaranteed contracts no?
As far as transferring, I'm not sure. He had a great season behind a worse line last year. If the drop in production is due to a lingering injury, I imagine he'd just stay where he's comfortable, and hopefully rhino returns and paves the way for him next year.
He’s not going in 1st or 2nd round

I guess coming back could help him show improved hands and better blocking. I think at this point they know what he can do running and that won't change. They also know teams are keying on him. He'll probably be a guy that has to get on a squad and prove himself once he gets there. I wonder if another year in college would change that. Fwiw, being a backup in the NFL, if you can stick for long enough, isn't worst gig in the world. Get paid fairly well and take less of a beating so you can still walk upright in old age.

All good points.

He’s missed a bunch of catches and his blocking is okay but potentially not at the level an NFL team is looking for. Combined with how he’s looked this season, I think there’s no way he’s in the top part of the draft. There’s a lot of rb’s ahead of him.

So I think the question is. Does he go this year and get drafted in the 2nd part of draft or stay a year and hope for a big season and improve his draft stock. I don’t think there’s much difference if he stays a year…. meaning if he could potentially fall to 4th round area declaring this year. He can get there next year too or have a huge season and move himself up.

There’s also the injury aspect too. So that would be something to consider by staying. I honestly feel bad for these kids. They put in a lot of work to get to where they are and there’s no guarantee you’re making the right decision. I’ve been there myself switching careers, huge financial impact on my family with no guarantee I’d get a job. So I can empathize completely.
Hes gone.

I think he makes an NFL roster as backup RB/special teamer or practice squad. With the due diligence that NFL teams do, they will know why he had a down year. He's still got 5 games to make some noise too. Lot of football to be played still.

If the season ended today I fear he would be an UDFA. His drop in production combined with how little the NFL values drafting RBs, and I just don't see it. Which breaks me to say.

If the season ended today I fear he would be an UDFA. His drop in production combined with how little the NFL values drafting RBs, and I just don't see it. Which breaks me to say.
UDFA isn’t a death knell for RB’s the way it is for other positions. With RB by committee being the norm for 30 teams or so it allows teams to be flexible on who they want

UDFA isn’t a death knell for RB’s the way it is for other positions. With RB by committee being the norm for 30 teams or so it allows teams to be flexible on who they want
Oh I agree, but at one point he was considered a top 3 round pick. And a team is much less likely to cut a 3rd pick than they are a UDFA, regardless of position. Also, the optics of having a RB drafted doesn't hurt either.

With him being 100 percent this year and totally not injured at all... I don't think it's in his best interest to stay another year and risk injury. I also think he will still score out somewhere in the early to mid rounds.

PFF has dropped Tucker from the 2nd round. They don’t go further than that right now. They also dropped Williams from 1st to the 2nd round. FWIW, they have Verse going 1st round.

Unless there’s an SEC school that will cut him a seven figure check the thought of coming back to school next year shouldn’t even cross his mind. Running backs need to start getting paid as soon as they can.

Abdul Adams and Jarveon Howard were the truth. Until they weren't. So was Jawhar Jordan. Until he wasn't. Sean Tucker is, was and has always been on another level. He forced his way on the field because he was too damn good to sit on the bench. He will not be replaced by Allen and Price. If they were capable, Sean wouldn't be calling his own pulls; the staff would do that situationally. Hope he heals up, finishes strong and gets picked high. But if not and he comes back; a huge win for SU.

PFF has dropped Tucker from the 2nd round. They don’t go further than that right now. They also dropped Williams from 1st to the 2nd round. FWIW, they have Verse going 1st round.
Please don’t remind us about verse.

I saw Verse in 1st round earlier today checking out all draft scenarios. Man, would have been so nice to have gotten him.

As a 5th round pick, he can get anywhere from $670-700k a year.

Where's he gonna get that kind of NIL money, from USC?
You’d be surprised imo

Needs to stay one more year and show scouts that he can be the alpha, go to guy….

Agreed but it won’t be here.

He’s be crazy not to go pro though and risking injury for 1 more year.

Last edited:
There's not a lot of shelf life on running backs and their playing career.

This is the most important factor. The calculus for leaving early is; what will I make on my first contract, and how old will I be when I sign my second contract (likely four years after being drafted).

RBs don’t go in round 1, and don’t go often in round 2 (generally speaking). I’ve always seen Tucker as a round 3-5 pick. RBs don’t look to make their generational wealth in the draft.

Being 26 in the first year of his second contract vs being 27 could be big difference in total compensation and (most importantly) guaranteed money.

He doesn’t stand to gain much at all staying another year.

FWIW I read somewhere that some scouts said late 2nd to 3rd round. Can't remember where specifically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom