Tuesday is the biggest regular season game since..?? | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday is the biggest regular season game since..??

About 15 games ago, I was looking at us and Clemson, and just had a feeling that every dang thing was going to come down to Joe Girard. It's the only thing that makes poetic sense. Had no idea how the season would play out, but here we are. Beat Joe, & we are happy. Get beat by Joe, & it's the NIT.

It's all about Joe G.

I think it'll be less about Joe but more about Hall, Shefflien, Wiggins and Godfrey, their big guys, gotta find a way to keep them off boards and Hall fouling out Maliq. Need Bell and Taylor and guards to rebound.

Last edited:
About 15 games ago, I was looking at us and Clemson, and just had a feeling that every dang thing was going to come down to Joe Girard. It's the only thing that makes poetic sense. Had no idea how the season would play out, but here we are. Beat Joe, & we are happy. Get beat by Joe, & it's the NIT.

It's all about Joe G.
How freaking ironic that it comes down to a game against Joe.

I forget what year, maybe 2018 or 2019 we closed at home vs Clemson who was ranked in the top 25 and it secured a tourney spot. It’s massive and fired up we’ve earned this opportunity. I hope we play with our hair on fire.

I hope they go straight to Clemson from Lville and not back to SYR. It worked out well when we went straight to Raleigh for NC State after losing to GTech in Atlanta. I think the less travel helped us that night to beat NCSU.

Perhaps March 3, 2018 against Clemson?

In terms of regular season, I got 2 big ones with significant tournament implications. We needed both... and we won both.
- Last game of regular season 2018, Q1 win at home against Clemson who was ranked 18. Lose that one and we there was definite concern about missing the tournament. We had aleady lost 4 of the previous 5.
- Maybe the 2017 game at home against Duke (3rd last game of the season), when they were ranked #10 (Feb 22, 2017). That put us right back in the tourney hunt ... we ultimately were the last team out because we lost round 1 of the ACC tourney.

There are certainly some huge conference tournament games with tournament implications since 2016. Unfortunately we were never successful in those.

- 2016 Tuesday ACC Tourney Game against Pitt - some viewed it as a play in game. We lost, but we still got in the back door - the next 5 days were the initial year I did a bunch of bubble watch stuff, as all the teams on the bubble (and there many that year of all sorts) still had to play.

- 2017 ACC Tourney, our first game against Miami, a fairly similar level team who was an #8 seed in the tournay. We ended up losing. 2017 was a bit of a "boring" bubble and it was really only a few teams that really were serious bubble teams ... that was a huge game, to lose unfortunately.

Last edited:
I forget what year, maybe 2018 or 2019 we closed at home vs Clemson who was ranked in the top 25 and it secured a tourney spot. It’s massive and fired up we’ve earned this opportunity. I hope we play with our hair on fire.

2018 - see my post #8.

Perhaps March 3, 2018 against Clemson?

In terms of regular season, I got 2 big ones with significant tournament implications. We needed both... and we won both.
- Last game of regular season 2018, Q1 win at home against Clemson who was ranked 18. Lose that one and we there was definite concern about missing the tournament. We had aleady lost 4 of the previous 5.
- Maybe the 2017 game at home against Duke (3rd last game of the season), when they were ranked #10 (Feb 22, 2017). That put us right back in the tourney hunt ... we ultimately were the last team out because we lost round 1 of the ACC tourney.

There are certainly some huge conference tournament games with tournament implications since 2016. Unfortunately we were never successful in those.

- 2016 Tuesday ACC Tourney Game against Pitt - some viewed it as a play in game. We lost, but we still got in the back door - the next 5 days were the initial year I did a bunch of bubble watch stuff, as all the teams on the bubble (and there many that year of all sorts) still had to play.

- 2017 ACC Tourney, our first game against Miami, a fairly similar level team who was an #8 seed in the tournay. We ended up losing. 2017 was a bit of a "boring" bubble and it was really only a few teams that really were serious bubble teams ... that was a huge game.
Ugh. I remember Battle missed a dunk that lead to a Miami fast break layup/dunk which turned the whole game. That team could have done damage in the tournament

If there are 5-6 ACC teams in tourney, how can we not be in the mix as #4-6 seed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom