Turning the Court? Really? Give me your thoughts... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Turning the Court? Really? Give me your thoughts...

Here's another thing to keep in mind. It is bad business and in poor taste to sell a product, collect payment for the product and then change the product. It's really not a difficult concept to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they told you that product (the Duke game) might have a reconfigured seating arrangement, would you not have bought the package?

I put the chances of you not buying season tickets based on that game being reconfigured as .0001%.

Is it a perfect way to find out (after tickets were issued)? no. Would it have made a difference if you knew in advance? Very likely no. Can you get over the initial disappointment over principal, and celebrate what they are trying to make a huge event (and show that they are a tier 1 partner with the ACC trying to make their showcase games as special as high profile as possible)? tbd

So if I understand this right, if SU moves the court to the 50 yard line, the people in this thread that are complaining will not go? Never support the program again? Stop being season ticket holders and donating money?

I'm not sure what the opportunity cost, as it pertains to SU, currently is in regard to these folks.

I'm assuming you all know that you have the power in this market and have real sway when it comes to dictating how the program evolves, otherwise, what can you do besides stomp your feet?

I'm not trying to be snarky and I think you have a legit gripe, but what are you going to do if this happens? I legitimately would like to know.

If they told you that product (the Duke game) might have a reconfigured seating arrangement, would you not have bought the package?

I put the chances of you not buying season tickets based on that game being reconfigured as .0001%.

Is it a perfect way to find out (after tickets were issued)? no. Would it have made a difference if you knew in advance? Very likely no. Can you get over the initial disappointment over principal, and celebrate what they are trying to make a huge event (and show that they are a tier 1 partner with the ACC trying to make their showcase games as special as high profile as possible)? tbd

What they do before they collect dime one is tell you that it will be moved, here is where your seats will be for the Duke game, here is the price if you want the Duke seats included, here is the price if you don't want the seats included. That goes for the donation and the tickets. My choice. Don't wait till after I have plunked down over $4k that the game I and 1,000's of others are looking forward to the most will have their seats moved to a worse, and maybe much worse, location.

Reactions: cto

We already are tier 1, at least where home attendance and fan support are concerned. I don't see how reconfiguring the Dome to allow more Duke fans to attend changes anything im that regard. Seriously, the rest of the country doesn't give two squirts about the on-campus attendance record.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

We already are tier 1, at least where home attendance and fan support are concerned. I don't see how reconfiguring the Dome to allow more Duke fans to attend changes anything im that regard. Seriously, the rest of the country doesn't give two squirts about the on-campus attendance record.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
ESPN will use that "attendance record shattered" and "1st conference meeting of the hall of famers is so important, they needed to make the biggest venue even bigger" in a lot of promos. It's positive PR for the 'Cuse, and you can bet ESPN will promote it a ton. And it will will warm your heart when you see the plugs (just like it used to make your blood boil when Dicke V would talk about the upcoming NC/Duke game for weeks)... Like Arb says, it's good to be the 'Cuse

And Bees, I hear you. I might be a bit redarsed about it for a hot-second. But at the end of the day, I'd never have given up that game if I were in the season ticketholder's position, even if you put me 20 or 40 yards further, and added 15K to that party...

What they do before they collect dime one is tell you that it will be moved, here is where your seats will be for the Duke game, here is the price if you want the Duke seats included, here is the price if you don't want the seats included. That goes for the donation and the tickets. My choice. Don't wait till after I have plunked down over $4k that the game I and 1,000's of others are looking forward to the most will have their seats moved to a worse, and maybe much worse, location.

I think this was a clever way of skirting his question. Su is not going to allow a la carte for the duke game. That's not how it works. I think the answer is you would have still bought the tickets.

I think this was a clever way of skirting his question. Su is not going to allow a la carte for the duke game. That's not how it works. I think the answer is you would have still bought the tickets.
He probably would have. Most probably would. What I can't understand is your support of Bait and Switch. Because this is clearly what SU did. Is it the biggest deal on earth? No, of course not. But to not get that this could piss people off is beyond me.

Never mind, you don't understand business and how your customers should be treated. Has nothing to do with whether I would have still bought tickets. You don't say, "who cares about the customer, they'll get over it". In the long term that kind of attitude hurts your business. Just like Buzz Shaw's get a life statement.

Never mind, you don't understand business and how your customers should be treated. Has nothing to do with whether I would have still bought tickets. You don't say, "who cares about the customer, they'll get over it". In the long term that kind of attitude hurts your business. Just like Buzz Shaw's get a life statement.

I get this basic concept and conceded it already. I agree it may be a bit of a dissappointment. What I am saying is get over it. Saying donors will pull their contributions over this is a ridiculous overreaction.

Further, I've continually conceded arguments from the opposing view. Those arguments are:
1. No prior disclosure
2. Uncertainty about location of seats you've paid for

However, no one from your side is admitting the stupid arguments being made against the court moving. You actually supported the "this benefits duke fans" arguments. It makes you sound like a cry baby, who will say anything to get his way.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives. You disagree And that's acceptable. But don't tell me I don't understand your points when I've accepted some of them and your seemingly latching on to any argument that supports your position. The bottom line is you're not getting what you think you paid for. That's your problem. Not Super Bowl weekend.

I get this basic concept and conceded it already. I agree it may be a bit of a dissappointment. What I am saying is get over it. Saying donors will pull their contributions over this is a ridiculous overreaction.

Further, I've continually conceded arguments from the opposing view. Those arguments are:
1. No prior disclosure
2. Uncertainty about location of seats you've paid for

However, no one from your side is admitting the stupid arguments being made against the court moving. You actually supported the "this benefits duke fans" arguments. It makes you sound like a cry baby, who will say anything to get his way.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives. You disagree And that's acceptable. But don't tell me I don't understand your points when I've accepted some of them and your seemingly latching on to any argument that supports your position. The bottom line is you're not getting what you think you paid for. That's your problem. Not Super Bowl weekend.

Thanks for proving my point. Well done. Especially your 3rd paragraph. That's rich.

One more point.
I understand BOTH sides, and both have seriously good points that have been made.
But for those who have season tickets and would attend this game... I am sitting in Phoenix and will be extremely jealous of the fact that you will be able to attend such an exciting event!! I know you want your usual seats, but I would love to have the opportunity to get there and be a part of something special. 1st Duke game. And possibly a college basketball record setting event. I lived in Syracuse for 3 years after I graduated, had season tickets at Manley and miss having the opportunity to attend so many games. Just want you to know that the grass is always greener...Wish I only had your problem.

Lets estimate how many of the 50k seats will go to dookies.

My advice is to take the over.

Absolutely. And this is a huge part of the issue. Duke travels well... and there are thousands of them in Metro NYC. If we open up all those extra seats, they will be bought by Duke fans... who will be featured on TV ... in OUR HOUSE. Maybe Georgetown had the right idea. Make it hard to opposing fans to buy tix. Make the Duke fans buy packages to Fordham and Colgate (or whomever we're playing in November this year). If it just an open event... they will buy tons of tickets

Where are 10,000 Duke fans gonna stay? I really don't see all their bridge and tunnel fans making the treck.
They have private jets. In and out. For the game.

If I read one more thread about this, I think my head will explode. Neither side is convincing the other to change their views for the most part - I do not plan to read the other 19 pages in this thread to see if that is correct or not. Can we drop it until the University makes a definite statement on the matter? Just a request of course, folks can continue to talk about it ad infinitum if they so choose. I simply don't intend to read another thread on the matter. Let's Go Orange!

Absolutely. And this is a huge part of the issue. Duke travels well... and there are thousands of them in Metro NYC. If we open up all those extra seats, they will be bought by Duke fans... who will be featured on TV ... in OUR HOUSE. Maybe Georgetown had the right idea. Make it hard to opposing fans to buy tix. Make the Duke fans buy packages to Fordham and Colgate (or whomever we're playing in November this year). If it just an open event... they will buy tons of tickets
I'm not sure this constitutes a good reason not to do it. My guess (and this is purely a guess) is that most of the extra seats will not be priced too high and our fans should have access to buy them as well. I just can't agree to not offering them because we won't like who shows up. I hate that Georgetown tries to keep us out of their house not only because we want to go, but also I don't think it's a good way to do business.

You've pointed out several times that moving the court (and seats) is unfair to season ticket holders who have been incredibly loyal and generous after they have purchased tickets. I agree with you on this point and also agree this is a legitimate reason that the change should not happen this year unless a way can be found to appease season ticket holders.

I think a lot of the people against having the court turned are really underestimating the contingent of Syracuse Fans who will want to go to this game. This is a new concept. Duke is new. The court turning will be new. Syracuse fans will want to go. Heck have you seen the hotel rates for that weekend around town?

I know a lot of you have contributed a lot more time and money to the university than I have, but 10,000 Duke fans will come on Private jets CTO? I know every Alumni base has their share of wealthy people, but saying 10,000 Duke fans are all wealthy enough to make the trip seems a little extreme. The same people who said our fans won't show up because of the Super Bowl are saying Duke fans are going to show up that weekend? Even if its 6 or 7k Duke fans we still will have 85 percent of the fans drowning them out.

Another thing, we are Syracuse, and not Georgetown or UConn. For the most part we are not a Corporate fanbase. We never have had issues drawing 30k for a Saturday Game. It seems like people are just politicking and saying anything to try to stop this. Every time we have tried to break the record the fans have shown up.

Has anyone even seen what the court will look like if they make a change? What if you end up with better seats? I don't know what's going on either, but lets not make assumptions until we really know how this is planned out.

Curious what the players would want. My guess is they'd like for it to be turned and have a packed house. Their opinion trumps all others.

Curious what the players would want. My guess is they'd like for it to be turned and have a packed house. Their opinion trumps all others.
No, it doesn't. I'm not saying their opinions shouldn't matter, but to say their opinion trumps JBs, Gross' and the boosters is ridiculous.

All due respect, but this is a weak rationale. I don't see how anyone will forget that this game is being played AT Syracuse.
Even if that many Duke fans DO show up...they can be featured on TV...in OUR HOUSE...as their team gets stomped.

PS- Its also a facetious argument, IMO, to suggest that this game is a one-time, stand-alone event.
Its special because its Duke, HOF HC's 1 & 2 in wins, and the first of many epic battles in our new conference.
I see this as the first, not the last, of games like this vs Duke, UNC, UL, GTown, etc.

Boeheim is against it. His opinion trumps the players.

this is the only post anyone needs to read. if you cant understand that, then there is no hope for you.

it is also why Syracuse WILL NOT move the court.

basically this whole discussion is useless.

the dook game being on a saturday and espn thinking its SBW counter programming or whatever, did not come as a complete shock to the Syracuse Athletic Dept, as a matter of fact the date doesnt even matter. people have known about this for a while, if they were going to move the court, we already would know.

just like the NFL in London.

the NHL at football/baseball Stadiums.

these things are announced in advance, there are pressers. its completely transparent.

honestly, i cant imagine anyone even thinking that a bait & switch is possible with this.

the court isnt moving.

end of story.

my guess is if they ever do it, its on the last sunday of the year so they can just break it down and be done with it.

probably against our old friend, boston college.

Hearing rumblings that not only is the court move happening, but the Duke game will be removed from the season ticket package which has already been (donated and) paid. I was told that season ticket holders would get first crack at buying tickets for the game. Hoping my sources are wrong on this one, but they seem resigned to this happening.

I don't care about a record crowd, media attention, etc., I challenge people to defend this practice as a good business decision. This is the best home game for 2013-14 and people who support the program are now going to be told that their money hasn't given them access? I sure hope SU comes to their senses (or that my sources had some bad info).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom