Turning the Court? Really? Give me your thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

Turning the Court? Really? Give me your thoughts...

Well while it may be bad in terms of live attendance of the game due to sight lines and distance from the court, the amount of exposure this would get nationally far outweighs the negatives. What top prospect wouldn't want to play in front of 40,000ish people against a Duke/UNC/etc on live tv. It is a great selling point for the program and players. If it is done once a year or once every other year I could see this being pretty awesome.

Jason, it is the dumbest idea I've heard recently.

1) Most season ticket holders would wind up with far inferior seats, a long way from the court. (In previous threads here on this subject, season ticket holders have generally opposed the idea... while people who never attend games seemed to favor it). Let's not disenfranchise the fans who are the team's core supporters.

2) We can get 35,000-plus in the Dome now... which is almost twice as many as any other on-campus venue.

3) If you want to get more people into the Dome, put a huge TV screen on the back of the bleachers and sell tickets to the seats back there... and/or standing room tickets. In that way, people could have the "Dome experience" if they wish to be there for a big game.

4) Getting rid of the area behind the bleachers would be a huge mistake. It is where people, especially families, go before the game and at halftime. There, they can buy souvenirs and refreshments, and the kids can run around, and participate in the activities back there. If you move the court to the center of the field, these people would have no place to go pre-game and half-time.

5) We're supposed to have a home court advantage. A new set-up would be just as new to the SU team, as it would be to the visitors.

6) 35,000 people in the current set-up will be just as loud as 50,000 in the full dome -- probably louder ... and they are a lot closer to the court.

7) And the cost for reconfiguring it on a one-time basis --- and then reconfiguring it back --- would be huge. Moving and/or constructing the court itself, additional seats for field level would have to be rented or bought, electrical wiring, reconfiguring seating chart, printing new tickets, hiring additional ushers and security, the labor involved for all of the above, etc. All this cost would more than offset any additional revenues, I suspect.

Well while it may be bad in terms of live attendance of the game due to sight lines and distance from the court, the amount of exposure this would get nationally far outweighs the negatives. What top prospect wouldn't want to play in front of 40,000ish people against a Duke/UNC/etc on live tv. It is a great selling point for the program and players. If it is done once a year or once every other year I could see this being pretty awesome.
For a one time gig? Bring it.

1) Most season ticket holders would wind up with far inferior seats, a long way from the court. (In previous threads here on this subject, season ticket holders have generally opposed the idea... while people who never attend games seemed to favor it). Let's not disenfranchise the fans who are the team's core supporters.

2) We can get 35,000-plus in the Dome now... which is almost twice as many as any other on-campus venue.

3) If you want to get more people into the Dome, put a huge TV screen on the back of the bleachers and sell tickets to the seats back there... and/or standing room tickets. In that way, people could have the "Dome experience" if they wish to be there for a big game.

4) Getting rid of the area behind the bleachers would be a huge mistake. It is where people, especially families, go before the game and at halftime. There, they can buy souvenirs and refreshments, and the kids can run around, and participate in the activities back there. If you move the court to the center of the field, these people would have no place to go pre-game and half-time.

5) We're supposed to have a home court advantage. A new set-up would be just as new to the SU team, as it would be to the visitors.

6) 35,000 people in the current set-up will be just as loud as 50,000 in the full dome -- probably louder ... and they are a lot closer to the court.

Yeah. What she said.^^^^^^^

Donors and season ticket holders already paid. Impossible to accommodate all of them with equal quality seating. Not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the game at Manley and let everyone in for free.

Put the game at Manley and let everyone in for free.
Many go in - not all come out.
Thunderdome_02_m.jpg

I would rather they put a Dino BBQ concession stand in there first. Leave the court where it is, if you we're to try it, do it for the NCAA's where everyone has to buy tickets

If you're going to do it, plan it properly instead of doing a rush job. While I'm sure that people are planning things now... it's likely too late for this season.

It should be easy to put down something the size of a court and baskets in the middle of the Dome. Get some (outside) opinions to see if it would work. Plan (near) seat equivalency and, again, get various (outside) opinions to see how those seat assignments would go over. If, after all of that, things are still "go", then plan it for next year and sell it as such. Show people the area of their (near) equivalent seat at the time of season ticket purchase/renewal.

Also, be sure that you can actually sell 50,000 tickets. Getting 10,000-15,000 Dookies in the building won't help the team.

There are better ways to increase Preferred level seating and increase revenue. I'd rather see that done than attempt a one-time, or once-a-year gimmick.

i fathom to see whats wrong with 35 thousand and all the tv time that gets-

but dr gross has to whore out something new - surprised it isnt in the swamps of joisey along with the home football opener-

why not the middle of the new meadowlands - or yankee stadium -
msg aint big enough

7) And the cost for reconfiguring it on a one-time basis --- and then reconfiguring it back --- would be huge. Moving and/or constructing the court itself, additional seats for field level would have to be rented or bought, electrical wiring, reconfiguring seating chart, printing new tickets, hiring additional ushers and security, the labor involved for all of the above, etc. All this cost would more than offset any additional revenues, I suspect.
Best analysis of the situation I have seen to date. Points 5 and 6 especially make sense to me: SU players are familiar with the usual setup, the visual background, shooting sights, etc., and 35,000 fans on top of the opposition trumps 50,000 in a fully open Dome.

That would be interesting...
Bait and switch is frowned upon. plan this for future with previous notifcation for preferred season holders. This applies to a mid field positioning.

I would not be upset by simply turning the court 90 degrees, on it's current location, which I believe would add at least 5000 to 10000 seats depending on how it is done. I could accept this for this year with no complaint.

What she said.

I think your overall post was good. And I either understand or agree with all of your points.

but 2 things:
1. Is Jason talking about turning the court in the endzone? or moving to the middle of the dome? For some reason, nobody has brought up just turning it - and that would prob add 10k seats.

2. The point #4 is really poor. Change happens. If we are going to do something historic - I'm sorry, but a quasi 'family area'/quasi 'pound 3 beers at halftime area' is BY FAR the easiest to get rid of. You just beautified that area like I've never seen before.

IMO, this HAS to happen. It would be the talk of the country. But... I think it needs to be planned perfectly. And season ticket holders need to know the deal prior to buying tickets.

You know, the local government commissioned a study on the biggest obstacles to growth in Syracuse? The number one impediment: the negative attitude of the people in Syracuse.
So, rather than stepping out of our comfort zone for one HUGE event that would draw news beyond ESPN, and put Syracuse in a positive light, people piss and moan because its different.
1) Don't move to the Dome. You'll never get more than 10K fans
2) You can't put field turf in the Dome.
3) You'll never sell court side seats for $6,000.00 a piece. (Not to mention those seats interfered with the sight lines of prior season tickets holders.)
4) There is no benefit to claiming that SU is NY's college team or advertising in NYC.
5) SU can't compete in women's sports.

I am a fan of TGD's can do, should do, will do attitude.

I think your overall post was good. And I either understand or agree with all of your points.

but 2 things:
1. Is Jason talking about turning the court in the endzone? or moving to the middle of the dome? For some reason, nobody has brought up just turning it - and that would prob add 10k seats.

2. The point #4 is really poor. Change happens. If we are going to do something historic - I'm sorry, but a quasi 'family area'/quasi 'pound 3 beers at halftime area' is BY FAR the easiest to get rid of. You just beautified that area like I've never seen before.

IMO, this HAS to happen. It would be the talk of the country. But... I think it needs to be planned perfectly. And season ticket holders need to know the deal prior to buying tickets.
You really think my #4 is poor? Have you ever been at a big game at the Dome? Prior to the game.. and at half time, thousands of people are in that area behind the bleachers. They are buying souvenirs and refreshments for their kids. And the kids are running around. And working off energy. And participating in all the stuff available back there. It is the ONE THING that makes the Dome a family-friendly place for basketball games.

Our 35k crowds already ARE the talk of the country and the talking heads. No one is going to top them.

And PS.. the season ticket holders HAVE ALREADY bought their tickets for this season. So there is no way to tell them in advance that they are, so to speak, buying a pig in a poke.

You really think my #4 is poor? Have you ever been at a big game at the Dome? Prior to the game.. and at half time, thousands of people are in that area behind the bleachers. They are buying souvenirs and refreshments for their kids. And the kids are running around. And working off energy. And participating in all the stuff available back there. It is the ONE THING that makes the Dome a family-friendly place for basketball games.

Our 35k crowds already ARE the talk of the country and the talking heads. No one is going to top them.

And PS.. the season ticket holders HAVE ALREADY bought their tickets for this season. So there is no way to tell them in advance that they are, so to speak, buying a pig in a poke.

What do those people do during football games at the Dome (other than not go) or what do they do in major venues across America? Having a place to unwind for 10 minutes isn't that big a deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom