Tyler Ennis / Lakers | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis / Lakers

Tyler Ennis is an NBA player. That's still pretty good.

tenor.gif

In the Lydon thread, I posted about the disturbing trend of Syracuse players 2nd contract. no 1st rounder since Melo got much more than the minimum on a 2nd deal (I believe only Warrick and Dion got more than minimum and they were both small 1 year deals - at least Dion had a player option).

Also - I dont believe many though rak or G would ever make a roster. so for them to do it, is good. Its all relative to specific situation.

Warrick's last contract was 4 yrs. / 18 million, signed July 201o with Phoenix

Uh - MAKING $1.5 MILLION? I'd say that's an accomplishment - especially after the coin he already made prior.

You know how long it'll take the typical SU grad to make that kinda coin?
DECADES.

Oh yeah, and Tyler doesn't have 6-figures worth of student loan debt to pay off either.

dude is a total flop. shoulda stayed all 4 years. :rolleyes:

What is the point of comparing a bball player to other students? If you want to compare Ennis to someone, compare him with other guys who left for the draft.

Warrick's last contract was 4 yrs. / 18 million, signed July 201o with Phoenix

And Dion just signed a 4 year 52 mil deal...

That doesnt change the fact that they both signed 1 year deals after the rookie contracts were up.

That doesnt change the fact that they both signed 1 year deals after the rookie contracts were up.

It doesn't, I'm just not totally sure why that has become such a standard of success.

What is the point of comparing a bball player to other students? If you want to compare Ennis to someone, compare him with other guys who left for the draft.

Ennis went 18th in 2014, some of the guys who went right after him

Gary Harris-probable stud
Bruno Caboclo- He's the guy who was "2 years away from being 2 years away" I think. He's scored 27 points in his career.
Mitch McGary- Out of the league
Jordan Adams- Injured, didn't play last year, doesn't have a contract as far as I can tell.

Definitely cherry picked a little, right after that you have guys like Rodney Hood, Clint Capela, but also Shabazz Napier and PJ Hairston.

How much money do these guys need to make for their career to be considered a success?

Oraiste has the best post in this thread. The pension plan once you hit 3 years is outstanding.

The other implicit part of the argument seems to be that assumption that you'd improve your NBA stock or whatever by not leaving early. I've used this joke before, but I like it so I'll say it again; Tyler Ennis could have stayed in school for a million years and he wouldn't have been a lottery pick. He doesn't project that way. Tyler would have been a senior last season, so in the draft that was just completed. The first 11 picks of that draft were all freshmen, then 2 soph before going back to more freshmen. Justin Jackson was a junior, I feel like he is an example you'd point to of a guy who stayed in school and probably did help his draft stock; after 3 years in college he went 15th, which is what, 2 spots better than tyler did?

It doesn't, I'm just not totally sure why that has become such a standard of success.

Ennis went 18th in 2014, some of the guys who went right after him

Gary Harris-probable stud
Bruno Caboclo- He's the guy who was "2 years away from being 2 years away" I think. He's scored 27 points in his career.
Mitch McGary- Out of the league
Jordan Adams- Injured, didn't play last year, doesn't have a contract as far as I can tell.

Definitely cherry picked a little, right after that you have guys like Rodney Hood, Clint Capela, but also Shabazz Napier and PJ Hairston.

I dont mean to say it is a standard of success. But it puts the feet to the fire for sure. Worked out OK for Hak, really well for Dion. Lets see what it does for Ennis and MCW. I am rooting for both to sign huge deals.

The other implicit part of the argument seems to be that assumption that you'd improve your NBA stock or whatever by not leaving early. I've used this joke before, but I like it so I'll say it again; Tyler Ennis could have stayed in school for a million years and he wouldn't have been a lottery pick. He doesn't project that way. Tyler would have been a senior last season, so in the draft that was just completed. The first 11 picks of that draft were all freshmen, then 2 soph before going back to more freshmen. Justin Jackson was a junior, I feel like he is an example you'd point to of a guy who stayed in school and probably did help his draft stock; after 3 years in college he went 15th, which is what, 2 spots better than tyler did?

I am certainly not making the argument that any of them should have stayed in school.

Neither Lydon nor Ennis were improving their stock by staying an extra year.

How much money do these guys need to make for their career to be considered a success?

Oraiste has the best post in this thread. The pension plan once you hit 3 years is outstanding.

I have to say, this is one of the more asinine threads I've perused. There are up to 510 roster spots now, not everyone can get paid every contract. Success is living to seeing another day in the league.

To both of you - I apologize that this got out of hand.

a. First Rounders should have a better chance at getting decent deals. MCW and Ennis are more than likely both disappointed to at least an extent in their deals? Right? Fair? Ennis literally has the worst deal that anyone in the NBA can get. its a 1 year vet minimum with a TEAM OPTION (thats really the kicker). But I would rather have that deal than my job - (I actually just got a promotion too heyyyoooo)
b. The pension is outstanding! but it doesnt kick in until way later in life. I get that it is really hard for you and I to understand the financial difficulties that 25 yr olds who have made 10-20 million face - but it is a reality when you go from making $ millions per year to far less than that. If you buy a house and a couple cars, its a huge adjustment when the money stops flowing in unless they meticulously planned. Trust me, I did not understand it either.

And Thats it. I am happy that Ennis is still in the league. I hope he is able to sign a nice deal in 2 years and I will be rooting for him as I do all Syracuse players - especially ones that hit 35 footers at the Zoo.

Last edited:
I dont mean to say it is a standard of success. But it puts the feet to the fire for sure. Worked out OK for Hak, really well for Dion. Lets see what it does for Ennis and MCW. I am rooting for both to sign huge deals.

I don't think either of them will. MCW got really lucky to be drafted to a basically barren Sixers roster, that ROY probably has helped him a little. (maybe a lot). Guy has a career 47.3% true shooting. Since he came into the league, of guys who have played 200 games or more, he has the 4th worst true shooting%.

I don't think either of them will. MCW got really lucky to be drafted to a basically barren Sixers roster, that ROY probably has helped him a little. (maybe a lot). Guy has a career 47.3% true shooting. Since he came into the league, of guys who have played 200 games or more, he has the 4th worst true shooting%.

I agree. I also dont really have a good feeling about Lydon, Mali's, or CM's chances either. Doesnt mean I'm not rooting for them!!!

To both of you - I apologize that this got out of hand.

a. First Rounders should have a better chance at getting decent deals. MCW and Ennis are more than likely both disappointed to at least an extent in their deals? Right? Fair? Ennis literally has the worst deal that anyone in the NBA can get. its a 1 year vet minimum with a TEAM OPTION (thats really the kicker). But I would rather have that deal than my job - (I actually just got a promotion too heyyyoooo)
b. The pension is outstanding! but it doesnt kick in until way later in life. I get that it is really hard for you and I to understand the financial difficulties that 25 yr olds who have made 10-20 million face - but it is a reality when you go from making $ millions per year to far less than that. If you buy a house and a couple cars, its a huge adjustment when the money stops flowing in unless they meticulously planned. Trust me, I did not understand it either.

And Thats it. I am happy that Ennis is still in the league. I hope he is able to sign a nice deal in 2 years and I will be rooting for him as I do all Syracuse players - especially ones that hit 35 footers at the Zoo.

I honestly don't agree or disagree with you, the argument can and has been made in both directions, just emphasizing the fact that it's largely a crap shoot unless you're in the top half of the league - so many different factors at play each year.

By the way, congrats on the promotion, man - I'm sure we can all agree that's never a bad thing for us plebs.

Tyler and Mal it's way too early. As long as Tyler can spread the court, with his size, he'll probably be around for a while.

Def too early to tell. Even for CM. Just saying, if i were a betting man, i would not be betting that they get 4 year deals after their rookie contracts. And they may not even get the entire rookie deal *not out of the league, but 1 of the team options not picked up a la Ennis' final team option*

who cares? Success is defined by the entire body of work.

who cares? Success is defined by the entire body of work.

Why do you think I am calling their careers unsuccessful? I AM NOT CALLING THEIR CAREERS UNSUCCESSFUL. not even Tyler Ennis.

Tyler and Mal it's way too early. As long as Tyler can spread the court, with his size, he'll probably be around for a while.

And they are coming in the league at the perfect time. If they are just productive bench players they will be set for life.

I was hoping Ennis would have played himself into getting a better opportunity and/or more money. However, I think he was right to come out when he did. I don't think his stock would have been any higher had he waited a year.

Ennis has been on 4 different teams already, for his career he is avg 4.2 ppg and 1.9 apg, his career is far from over, but as of now what would you call his Nba career so far?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom