Tyler Ennis / Lakers | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis / Lakers

What were the goalposts? He is making 1.5 mil on a bad team and barely playing, what has he accomplished?

Uh - MAKING $1.5 MILLION? I'd say that's an accomplishment - especially after the coin he already made prior.

You know how long it'll take the typical SU grad to make that kinda coin?
DECADES.

Oh yeah, and Tyler doesn't have 6-figures worth of student loan debt to pay off either.

dude is a total flop. shoulda stayed all 4 years. :rolleyes:

Dion also just signed a $52 million deal, so i think he's doing ok

For heavens sakes dude...

I hope Ennis signs a 500 million deal.

staying on a roster for 3 years is a big deal. 3 years qualifies you for the NBA pension plan. He'll get $57K per year upon retirement and that number increases (to a max of about $200K) for every year he stays in the NBA.

plus, the NBA has an outstanding 401(k) option. What is your company's matching contribution? 33%? 50%? The NBA matches 140% of a player's contribution. Sticking with your 4% example above (which total is not correct because his 4th year option was not exercised, but the numbers are convenient and this is just an example), putting $420,000 into the league sponsored 401(k) turns into a sweet $1,008,000 total.

the pension is half of that if taken out at FIFTY.

the 401k gets blitzed if taken out before 59.5. And your 401k matching calcs are also dead wrong. I'll leave that to you to figure out but its basic personal finance and retirement 101.

actually I'll jsut tell you - for anyone under 50, the max you can defer in your 401k is currently 18k. It was 17k but we'll just keep it at 18k per year. Even if Kobe Bryant maxed his out, it $360k (again, it certainly less because the max was recently increased) that would have been matched. I would hope 100% would take advantage of maxing it out every year no matter their NBA income - but Ennis would have only gotten 140% of $54k so far.

This is exactly the psychological stuff that regular joes like us dont have to understand about working a job that goes from making 1.5 million to a possible 30k the next if he goes d-league.

Last edited:
How can you call something a trend if you don't know the general percentages?

That's like saying "Syracuse isn't shooting 60% from 3 each of the last 10 years. This is a disturbing trend."

Do other teams shoot 60%? Did Syracuse shoot this before?

whatever man... wrong words, wrong context. the point is since Melo - not 1 players from syracuse has outright earned a decent 2nd deal. Not a single 1.

whatever man... wrong words, wrong context. the point is since Melo - not 1 players from syracuse has outright earned a decent 2nd deal. Not a single 1.

How many draft picks do you think get these 2nd deal extensions a year? If you had to take a guess...

How many draft picks do you think get these 2nd deal extensions a year? If you had to take a guess...

Too complicated to answer. A lot more top end picks do than bottom end. But we've had a mix bag. going o/3 on 3 top 6 picks is pretty bad. But Dion and Wes should be set for life after earning nicer contracts in their 1 and dones.

as far as the other 7 they range from 11(mcw) to late 20's - significantly less. but i would guess at least 25%. 0/7 would be a trend against 25% IMO.

My only point on Dion was that his second deal wasn't great, but it was for one year and the next year he got $50 million, so not sure he really fits what you're going for

the pension is half of that if taken out at FIFTY.

the 401k gets blitzed if taken out before 59.5. And your 401k matching calcs are also dead wrong. I'll leave that to you to figure out but its basic personal finance and retirement 101.

actually I'll jsut tell you - for anyone under 50, the max you can defer in your 401k is currently 18k. It was 17k but we'll just keep it at 18k per year. Even if Kobe Bryant maxed his out, it $360k (again, it certainly less because the max was recently increased) that would have been matched. I would hope 100% would take advantage of maxing it out every year no matter their NBA income - but Ennis would have only gotten 140% of $54k so far.

This is exactly the psychological stuff that regular joes like us dont have to understand about working a job that goes from making 1.5 million to a possible 30k the next if he goes d-league.
You feel passionately about this subject, but I have zero concept of what you think the solution is. Guys just have to sign crazy contracts? Like, what exactly is the endgame here?

My only point on Dion was that his second deal wasn't great, but it was for one year and the next year he got $50 million, so not sure he really fits what you're going for

Anyone can earn their way out of the bad deal. Dion was the safest of them all but he was on the verge of min deals or out of league without that 30 game explosion.

I don't understand this at risk at being out of the league discussion. The NBA pension plan is terrific and people assume these guys automatically are not capable of doing anything else.

I don't get how some of our fans will be satisfied with our NBA players. Melo has had a great career besides winning a title and it's still not enough for everyone here and he won us a title.

You feel passionately about this subject, but I have zero concept of what you think the solution is. Guys just have to sign crazy contracts? Like, what exactly is the endgame here?

Well it started saying that it's a bad deal especially considering the team option. And unfortunately it's only better than going d League right away. Which is true.

Then people just started attacking the post and the responding posts so it kind of morphed. The fact is while we don't have a problem getting players drafted, we do have a possible problem with players earning 2nd deals.

Well it started saying that it's a bad deal especially considering the team option. And unfortunately it's only better than going d League right away. Which is true.

Then people just started attacking the post and the responding posts so it kind of morphed. The fact is while we don't have a problem getting players drafted, we do have a possible problem with players earning 2nd deals.

As compared to whom? Other schools? Players drafted as a whole? This is what I'm getting at.

Is it a problem or just NBA reality?

Anyone can earn their way out of the bad deal. Dion was the safest of them all but he was on the verge of min deals or out of league without that 30 game explosion.

I don't agree with that. He's gotten big minutes every single year of his career, including on the championship contending OKC so I don't think he's been in any danger of being out of the league.

I do think he hit some bad luck on the timing of everything when he was a free agent last summer. Seems like he was expecting to be back in OKC, and then Durant leaving threw everything into the air and by then a lot of guys had already signed and there weren't many options left.

As compared to whom? Other schools? Players drafted as a whole? This is what I'm getting at.

Is it a problem or just NBA reality?

0/10 on 1st rounders in not NBA reality. I'm not even including grant, G, rak, arinze, Watkins, Nicols etc

I don't agree with that. He's gotten big minutes every single year of his career, including on the championship contending OKC so I don't think he's been in any danger of being out of the league.

I do think he hit some bad luck on the timing of everything when he was a free agent last summer. Seems like he was expecting to be back in OKC, and then Durant leaving threw everything into the air and by then a lot of guys had already signed and there weren't many options left.

Fair enough. I did say he was the safest of them all.

whatever man... wrong words, wrong context. the point is since Melo - not 1 players from syracuse has outright earned a decent 2nd deal. Not a single 1.[/

Grant is not on his 2nd contract yet.

I was literally just listing 2nd rounders that I wasn't counting in the 0/10.

The funny thing, out of all of our players who aren't on their 2nd deal yet - he is by far most likely to get a good 1.

I was literally just listing 2nd rounders that I wasn't counting in the 0/10.

The funny thing, out of all of our players who aren't on their 2nd deal yet - he is by far most likely to get a good 1.

I'll just end it like this. By my count about 20+ out the top 40 picked in 2014 NBA draft will not be in the league next year. 2 of the 20 that will be are Ennis and Grant.

2nd contract
2nd contract is an arbitrary way to define NBA success. Success is determined by the entire body of work. Perhaps you should relabel your argument as Syracuse players have not achieved success as quickly as ?
Immediate success is different from meaningful success. To assume that they are one and the same is fake news.

I'll just end it like this. By my count about 20+ out the top 40 picked in 2014 NBA draft will not be in the league next year. 2 of the 20 that will be are Ennis and Grant.

Just quick math but I counted more than 30 that have played 100 games. And that didn't include embiid.

2nd contract is an arbitrary way to define NBA success. Success is determined by the entire body of work. Perhaps you should relabel your argument as Syracuse players have not achieved success as quickly as ?
Immediate success is different from meaningful success. To assume that they are one and the same is fake news.

Wow. I didn't label dions career as a waste. I didn't even label Wes's as a waste. Nor Ennis'.

You my friend, are picking an argument out of thin air.

Uh - MAKING $1.5 MILLION? I'd say that's an accomplishment - especially after the coin he already made prior.

You know how long it'll take the typical SU grad to make that kinda coin?
DECADES.

Oh yeah, and Tyler doesn't have 6-figures worth of student loan debt to pay off either.

dude is a total flop. shoulda stayed all 4 years. :rolleyes:

Decades? Maybe in social work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom