Tyler Roberson - It Needs to be said | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Roberson - It Needs to be said

I haven't read all the posts here yet but just what was JB suppose to say? People say "he shouldn't say . . . " but don't say what they think he should have said. JB said the wrong guy got the rebound. What would you say if there were 3 , 75%+ FT shooters on the floor and they didn't get the rebound. Nothing about being in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time. Just that the worse FT shooter got the rebound. About his confidence in TR making the FT's. Again what is he suppose to say. Since going 11-11 to start the season TR is shooting less than 35% from the free throw line. And that includes the 2 he made last game that TOTALLY shocked this fan base! SO I don't think JB was putting TR down. He was just stating the facts. "It is what it is". JB was proud of how his team played and he said so.
jb is the same guy that blew up at a reporter because a headline in their paper pointed out his record head to head with pitino. Facts are facts, right?

hey i was positive he was going to miss. but i'd never say that in front of a live mic. just wasn't called for.

He was not a disappointment tonight. We did not lose because of him. JB's comment that "the wrong player got the ball" and that he had no faith in Roberson making those free throws does not reflect the fan bases opinion.

Tyler Roberson got that rebound and was playing to win. What else can you ask from someone?

I'll argue with anyone, I think his play decline is a result of not only JB relentlessly bashing his character/play, but our guards classic inability to take advantage of a player that plays above the rim. If We have aggressive guards that attack the rim and find the open men (Thompson/Roberson/Lydon) downlow? Roberson averages 8 to 10 points a game and 10 boards this year if that's the case.

Say what you will about this kid mentally falling apart, but he played to win tonight and I just think any question of his character is bush league.

I had faith that he had a shot to tie it up, and I'm proud of him for going after that board and at least giving us a chance.

I had zero faith that he'd make two free throws. I'm honestly stunned his FT% is as high this year (50%) as it is.

I think Roberson probably upsets me more than any other recent Syracuse player, with the possible exception of Dion Waiters.

Having said that, Roberson fighting to get an offensive rebound after an absolutely horrific shot from Andrew White is nothing but a great play by him. We could have considered going with Thompson there for the offensive punch, but I think having Roberson's rebounding in there when attempting a shot like that is an obvious decision. He just unfortunately wasn't able to score off it. I don't hold that against him at all even if I generally can't stand him as a player.

"We're his brothers," sophomore Frank Howard said. "You know he wanted those. He missed. That's the game of basketball. You can't blame the game on him. I hope nobody thinks they should. He rebounds, plays defense. The game was on all of us. ... He got the rebound. Without that, he wouldn't have even been there."

"We're his brothers," sophomore Frank Howard said. "You know he wanted those. He missed. That's the game of basketball. You can't blame the game on him. I hope nobody thinks they should. He rebounds, plays defense. The game was on all of us. ... He got the rebound. Without that, he wouldn't have even been there."

There's no way I'm making it through the whole thread, but I read the first post with the JB quote, and the last one, which is the one I just quoted. Kind of disappointing that the 20 year old kid has a better perspective on it than the 70 whatever year old head coach.

The wrong guy getting the rebound is funny. Let's see, if you maybe taught rebounding skills, there might be someone else going
to get the rebound. And part of the reason his stats might be down ... he's the ONLY guy an opponent looks at as going to the
glass. How often do fans go into the game hoping SU doesn't get killed on the glass? Cuz no one rebounds.

So he missed the FTs; not like that hasn't happened before at SU. I mean, how many guys over the years could you put on the line
down two and say, "yeah, he's going to make them"? A team that's notorious for missing FTs over the last 30 years, and you're going
to complain now that a player isn't going to make the two you need? Please.

They needed to finish that game off in regulation with that chance, but they didn't. Worse was letting that stiff who'd make nothing
but 3s all year step up and hit one early in OT. Just another random guy killing the Orange. "No, don't worry about that guy
who took Mitchell's place. His only baskets all year long are on 3PT shots. He won't do anything."

Kev

Hes shooting 48% on the season. So how do you say: a 48% shooter has 0% chance of making that FT? You said stating the facts, extrapolating 0% from 48% is not sticking to facts. Thats just rooting against your own player.

My own hope is that JB does not / was not rooting against TR, he was just trying to let the press know that maybe a win was not meant to be given all the circumstances. Ie TR didnt have to make just 1 but 2, and that was asking a lot giving his history at the stripe...it just didnt pan out at the end of ot. Imo where we blew our golden opp was the end of regulation. But it happens
When TR went 11-11 in the first 4 or 5 games. I was excited. Then came the misses then the fall off in playing time. What happened after the first 5 games that TR's focus seem to go away? Are you going to say it was because of the yelling? Which came first, the lack of focus or the yelling? And why should that have bothered TR all of a sudden?

Over the last 6 games, he is 3/14 before last night. That is a definite trend. Can you honestly say that you thought he would make both and if so why other than "I had a feeling." I hoped but knew SU was doomed.

When TR went 11-11 in the first 4 or 5 games. I was excited. Then came the misses then the fall off in playing time. What happened after the first 5 games that TR's focus seem to go away? Are you going to say it was because of the yelling? Which came first, the lack of focus or the yelling? And why should that have bothered TR all of a sudden?

Over the last 6 games, he is 3/14 before last night. That is a definite trend. Can you honestly say that you thought he would make both and if so why other than "I had a feeling." I hoped but knew SU was doomed.

Anyone who has ever played at any level knows that coming off the bench is a much different "feel" than starting. I really think losing that starting role has hurt a ton.

Anyone who has ever played at any level knows that coming off the bench is a much different "feel" than starting. I really think losing that starting role has hurt a ton.
Has JB ever rationalized why he starts TT over TR, i seriously cant remember. I am not saying its wrong nec, just would like to hear his thinking

Has JB ever rationalized why he starts TT over TR, i seriously cant remember. I am not saying its wrong nec, just would like to hear his thinking
Pretty sure it's about offense.

Yeah now that I've gotten sleep, the Lydon transition turnover and Gillons booted drive stick out in my mind well before Roberson's missed free throws. That being said I don't even really blame Lydon or Gillon for this L either, it really was a team loss but I think they're already showing growth from it despite other bs.

Wuss.

I completely agree with your next point, though. This was a team loss. If a couple of those in and out threes(one time when I dont like the ol in and out) go, there's a chance we dont need a drive or free throws at the multiple endings. Hell, if "that white kid" doesnt have a career highlight, we likely win as well. The list could go on. When you look to the greater logic, there is no way to call this anything other than a team loss. I think even the well respected Frank Howard said something rather similar when the free throws were mentioned.

I agree 100% on jb being a bully. I agree 100% on the need for jb to be called out on it. I was thinking last night that I would call his radio show and do exactly that. If it is a motivational ploy, it's pretty obvious that hasn't worked. and if it is just to be mean, what is the point of that? I disagree about the offense part. No coach looks good when the shots aren't falling.

I'd ADMIRE you if you did that. I'm not sure if we can coax SWC into it, but that guy does surprise me often, so I wouldn't rule it out. Either way, I hope SOMEONE will ask him!

it's better to start a game looking at your opponent out the front windshield and not in the rearview mirror.
eventually even the fans said" hell with this" and sat down last night.

it's better to start a game looking at your opponent out the front windshield and not in the rearview mirror.

I dunno man. I tend to like to leave my opponents in the rearview mirror and not look back.

you do note the sarcasm captain ? we've been slow out of the gate since the switch.

Last edited:
He was not a disappointment tonight. We did not lose because of him. JB's comment that "the wrong player got the ball" and that he had no faith in Roberson making those free throws does not reflect the fan bases opinion.

Tyler Roberson got that rebound and was playing to win. What else can you ask from someone?

I'll argue with anyone, I think his play decline is a result of not only JB relentlessly bashing his character/play, but our guards classic inability to take advantage of a player that plays above the rim. If We have aggressive guards that attack the rim and find the open men (Thompson/Roberson/Lydon) downlow? Roberson averages 8 to 10 points a game and 10 boards this year if that's the case.

Say what you will about this kid mentally falling apart, but he played to win tonight and I just think any question of his character is bush league.

I had faith that he had a shot to tie it up, and I'm proud of him for going after that board and at least giving us a chance.

The kid was a top 50 recruit, he has been a major disappointment, the missed ft's at the end of the game sum up his career here.

the major disappointment holds the syracuse university record for most offensive boards in a season.
so derrick , etan, rony ,rosie , jdub and billy owens all say HI . a season long record ain't no 1 game fluke.

Last edited:
The kid was a top 50 recruit, he has been a major disappointment, the missed ft's at the end of the game sum up his career here.

Absolutely ridiculous post.

Leading rebounder on a final four team and as tbonezone mentions holds the SU record for most offensive rebounds in a season, incredible performance to get a win in Cameron Indoor last season, and plenty of other contributions over his 4 year career but a missed ft sums up his contributions to the program?

Absolutely ridiculous post.

Leading rebounder on a final four team and as tbonezone mentions holds the SU record for most offensive rebounds in a season, incredible performance to get a win in Cameron Indoor last season, and plenty of other contributions over his 4 year career but a missed ft sums up his contributions to the program?

He's had a couple of nice rebounding games, like I said he was a top 50 recruit, he had high expectations coming in.

I'll say it- I had zero faith he would make the free throws.

But that said... Of all the people to get fouled there, it is mostly unfortunate not because it missed a chance to tie, but you know he's already lacking a ton of confidence out there and this can't help.

Some people have said that we needed taurean in there at that point... Maybe we don't even get a rebound if that's the substitution.
I was rooting for a Jeremy McNeil rerun

with the amount of crap he's taken from JB his whole career I would be fine if Roberson did this after his final game

And JB was suppose to say, I knew he was going to make them even though he is shooting less than 35%. I guess he could have said, I was hoping/praying that he would make them., but really now . . .
He should have kept his mouth shut. He is losing all respect. JB isnt funny anymore. Im sad for him. Mean spirited is how he is coming across.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom