Tyler Roberson - It Needs to be said | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Roberson - It Needs to be said

Yeah now that I've gotten sleep, the Lydon transition turnover and Gillons booted drive stick out in my mind well before Roberson's missed free throws. That being said I don't even really blame Lydon or Gillon for this L either, it really was a team loss but I think they're already showing growth from it despite other bs.

Completely agree. Tough to pinpoint any singular play or player when we shoot 8/34 from 3 and give up 15 offensive rebounds. It would've been an incredible win and probably sealed our tournament invite so it really stings but our guys fought hard and mustered up 2 extraordinary late comebacks in the same game.

Louisville is a really good team and if we compete like we did last night for the remainder of our schedule I think we see our name announced on Selection Sunday.

I haven't read all the posts here yet but just what was JB suppose to say? People say "he shouldn't say . . . " but don't say what they think he should have said. JB said the wrong guy got the rebound. What would you say if there were 3 , 75%+ FT shooters on the floor and they didn't get the rebound. Nothing about being in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time. Just that the worse FT shooter got the rebound. About his confidence in TR making the FT's. Again what is he suppose to say. Since going 11-11 to start the season TR is shooting less than 35% from the free throw line. And that includes the 2 he made last game that TOTALLY shocked this fan base! SO I don't think JB was putting TR down. He was just stating the facts. "It is what it is". JB was proud of how his team played and he said so.

I haven't read all the posts here yet but just what was JB suppose to say? People say "he shouldn't say . . . " but don't say what they think he should have said. JB said the wrong guy got the rebound. What would you say if there were 3 , 75%+ FT shooters on the floor and they didn't get the rebound. Nothing about being in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time. Just that the worse FT shooter got the rebound. About his confidence in TR making the FT's. Again what is he suppose to say. Since going 11-11 to start the season TR is shooting less than 35% from the free throw line. And that includes the 2 he made last game that TOTALLY shocked this fan base! SO I don't think JB was putting TR down. He was just stating the facts. "It is what it is". JB was proud of how his team played and he said so.
Yes i agree with you sticking to the facts, tough to go wrong with facts...BUT he followed it up with (about a min later) - i knew he was going to miss or he had no chance of making the FT, something to that effect. Thats one heck of a tough statement imo. You gotta pull for your team, believe in your team . But thats just me

don't bash your own players in public ever. either you're pro or con. yet JB seems to relish it. furthermore if pitino says post game "well we all knew roberson was going to miss " you meet him in the parking lot.

How would Sean Spicer feel if Trump/Pence went on Sunday shows and said we all know Sean would meltdown in his daily briefs. He sweats a lot and we all know he would choke.
Boeheim basically emasculated Roberson publicly. Would he have said the same thing if AO who is a worse FT shooter than Roberson was at the line down 2 and missed? Or would say we should have done better before it got to that point.
The comments are bad. He is suppose to have his kids back and he doesn't have Roberson's back. He takes every shot he can. When Cooney couldn't hit a shot against Pitt at home last year he didn't say we all knew Trevor would miss so I took him out.

Robey has a stat line that backs it up. We needed be prepared to get a rebound. Happens.

Bigger issue is at NC State we get the story on how he hates timeouts in end of game situations, and in this game he calls a timeout.

don't bash your own players in public ever. either you're pro or con. yet JB seems to relish it. furthermore if pitino says post game "well we all knew roberson was going to miss " you meet him in the parking lot.
Bingo when the media piled on Trevor Cooney last year JB had has back. JB goes out of his way to take shots at Roberson. If I were Robey I would have been kicked off the team by now.

I will say this about Hopkins, he does NOT seem like that type at all and for that I am very thankful. He seems very upbeat and positive. JB irks me big time with that. Rides you when you're high, badgers you when your low (even to the media). Not the way to handle players, IMO.

From what I hear, the players really really really love Hopkins. Though we all love Boeheim and everything he's done for this university, I think we'll be back to where we were when the players get a coach they truly enjoy playing for.

Note, this doesn't mean the player don't love playing for Boeheim, but everything I've heard from people who know players is that they LOVE Hop.

Robey has a stat line that backs it up. We needed be prepared to get a rebound. Happens.

Bigger issue is at NC State we get the story on how he hates timeouts in end of game situations, and in this game he calls a timeout.
And 9 seconds too. Just odd

Roberson got the rebound when it mattered last night. The kid missed a FT no need to say we all knew he would miss. If Roberson misses the rebound we lose. He is damned unless he makes 2 FTs. No need to hammer the kid for missing I bet he felt bad he missed as it is.
JB wouldn't have said the same thing if AO missed.
I mean why doesn't JB come out and say if Derrick Coleman could hit a FT I would have another NC.

I'd like JB to say why the "wrong guy" was on the floor at that point. How about those facts?

Great observation. Anyone ask that question?

I just went back and looked and if Tyler had gone left hand I think we would've got the shot off. Also Gillon kind of messed up the rebound on Robeys second FT

Great point - no way JB would contradict himself. Sarcasm.

Answer: longer than National Security Advisor Mike Flynn

Yeah, Vegas had Spicer open up at 4 to 1 in the "first member of the administration to get canned" odds pool (highest likelihood), ahead of Flynn, who I believe held the 5th position. I think Flynn was like 11 to 1 to be the first one canned, so if you had money on him, you got a good payout.

Yeah, Spicer opened at 4 to 1 in the "first member of the administration to get canned" odds pool, ahead of Flynn, who I believe had the 5th position. I think Flynn was like 11 to 1 to be the first one canned.
Note to self: don't lie to the VPOTUS about what you're working on.

If all our guys hustled nearly as much as Roberson, we would have clinched a Tournament spot a week ago

everything I've heard from people who know players is that they LOVE Hop.
That's great but it's going to take more than love to win games when Hop takes over. I feel like there's an expression from woodstock that might apply here, but it's not coming to me.

Please don't compare him to the scumbag from Indiana. Yes, JAB is 50 years older than these kids but he still has taken the team to two final fours in the past five years and we have beaten two top ten teams in a down year and almost took down a third. JAB has his systems and for the most part have worked extremely well. He survived two probations and the Bernie Fine incident. Does that make him more important than the program. Guess what??? JAB is the program. Coaching basketball lends itself to public scrutiny. JAB has thick skin. We know he doesn't care what anything thinks about what he does or says but I don't think it's fair to say that time has passed him by.

We all like Robey. I wish I had a nickle for every time I said that I hoped that Robey could morphed himself into Dennis Rodman. Unfortunately he never did. Maybe he didn't have the drive or just lacked the athleticism or the motivation. Not everyone is a great NBA player. Not everyone is a great ACC player. Robey has his niche and sometimes he is much better at it than other times. Should JAB lay off the kids somewhat. Maybe you nor I would say those things but it seems to work for JAB.

I felt bad for Robey when he had to take those FT's. But we have seen others in that same position drain them. I tried to will them to go in but it just wasn't meant to be. Hopefully Robey finds a way to make a difference the rest of the season. I know on Senior Day I will be cheering for Robey as hard or even harder than I did for JAB's 1000th. It was a tough loss that we almost found a way to win against a very tough team that traditionally has owned us. Hopefully we will get them next time.
I agree that I was unfair to the degree that I equated JB with Knight. On the scales of justice, Knight is a bad guy and JB is a good guy. However, what they have in common is that over time their methods have become inappropriate and they do not comprehend that their methods that worked for so long are now a hindrance to recruiting. X generation recruits are safe-space kids. JB is about as safe space as a drill sergeant.

Yes i agree with you sticking to the facts, tough to go wrong with facts...BUT he followed it up with (about a min later) - i knew he was going to miss or he had no chance of making the FT, something to that effect. Thats one heck of a tough statement imo. You gotta pull for your team, believe in your team . But thats just me
And JB was suppose to say, I knew he was going to make them even though he is shooting less than 35%. I guess he could have said, I was hoping/praying that he would make them., but really now . . .

I'd like JB to say why the "wrong guy" was on the floor at that point. How about those facts?
Yeah maybe but then do you think that TT would have even gotten the rebound?

Am I mis-remembering or did Roberson go 2-2 at the stripe against Pitt?

*Checks box score*
Yeah, he did. Sigh.

time for one last question here...ok yes , in the back there... mr horshack ????

maxresdefault.jpg

"coach what the is up with you and tyler roberson ?"

And JB was suppose to say, I knew he was going to make them even though he is shooting less than 35%. I guess he could have said, I was hoping/praying that he would make them., but really now . . .
Hes shooting 48% on the season. So how do you say: a 48% shooter has 0% chance of making that FT? You said stating the facts, extrapolating 0% from 48% is not sticking to facts. Thats just rooting against your own player.

My own hope is that JB does not / was not rooting against TR, he was just trying to let the press know that maybe a win was not meant to be given all the circumstances. Ie TR didnt have to make just 1 but 2, and that was asking a lot giving his history at the stripe...it just didnt pan out at the end of ot. Imo where we blew our golden opp was the end of regulation. But it happens

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom