Tyus Battle returning | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus Battle returning

Good on Tyus for making a smart decision, I think. He has to put off earning some cash for another year, but he'll get his degree and have the opportunity to improve and lead a top-20 team. Additionally, he should be the cover boy for the ACC as he will have the most combined experience and talent.

I wouldn't begrudge his decision either way, but this bodes well for SU Basketball. Now, how about playing some up-tempo offense with these stallions.

Interesting tidbit in Mike's article from this morning. Apparently Tyus is spending the summer in LA. Imagine he will get into some pickup games with NBA guys, and train with NBA trainers. I believe he will come back bigger, stronger, and even more confident. Very exciting for our team. Should be preseason ACC player of the year, or at least 1st team. I swear if they give that to Luke Maye, I will scream!

This is great news for the Cuse. A very difficult decision for Ty. He wants to improve himself enough to get into the first round in next year's draft and to be an NBA player. A very laudable goal, but difficult because the NBA has a bias towards drafting younger players with unknown upsides. Ty will be an upperclassman with "limited" upside.

So what will it take for him to play himself into the first round ?

1. He will need to become a more efficient player. Take better shots and hit a higher percentage. Overall scoring average does not need to increase. In fact, it might be better if he average a few points less per game on higher percentages.

2. The look test - must get that hitch out of his stroke and be able to hit close to 40% from distance. He will also need to improve his off hand.

3. He has to make others around him better. learn to pass out of double teams, run the floor better, learn to kick off of iso drives when somebody comes to him. He will not be the PG, but he will need to create a little bit more for others.

4. Be a winner - no reason we should not be top ten or close to it for most of next season. Ty will need to be the linchpin player for that success.

5. D - NBA scouts have trouble assessing the D of 100% zone players. Ty is very effective at the top of the zone with his length. His next step on D is to increase his steals and be able to convert those steals to easy fast break points.

6. Lastly, he is a big strong guard, why is he averaging less than 3 RPG ? He needs to get that number closer to 5, even w fewer minutes.

Only if you ignore the regular season record. I'd say a ranking between 15-20 is about right for this team to start the season.
You also have to take into account why they were only one of the last teams in. They started two freshmen (one of which had no business starting) and had no bench due to injuries and other factors.

This year, not only do they return their entire starting lineup but also have a deep bench, bringing back a healthy Howard Washington and a hopefully healthy Sidibe while adding a highly-recruited guard and a quality transfer forward.

I understand people around here hate high expectations because Syracuse always seems to fall short of them. But strictly from a preseason expectation perspective, this team should be considered one of Boeheim's very best teams.

You also have to take into account why they were only one of the last teams in. They started two freshmen (one of which had no business starting) and had no bench due to injuries and other factors.

This year, not only do they return their entire starting lineup but also have a deep bench, bringing back a healthy Howard Washington and a hopefully healthy Sidibe while adding a highly-recruited guard and a quality transfer forward.

I understand people around here hate high expectations because Syracuse always seems to fall short of them. But strictly from a preseason expectation perspective, this team should be considered one of Boeheim's very best teams.

I highly doubt a healthy Howard Washington will be returning. Maybe he'd be ready to go by January, but my money would be on him redshirting.

Only if you ignore the regular season record. I'd say a ranking between 15-20 is about right for this team to start the season.

15-20 is where I’d put them too and I expect most prognosticasts to do the same.

CBS had them at 22 factoring in Battles return. That seems low.
They were the last team in the tournament, and won 3 games. That doesn't make them a preseason top 15 team, especially with no big name editions.

They were the last team in the tournament, and won 3 games. That doesn't make them a preseason top 15 team, especially with no big name editions.

Ken Pomeroys model disagrees with the humans. We will be favored in most of our games next year.

If they still had Bazley, they would be Top 10 - 15 right now.
But I think most of us are feeling a lot better right now than we were a week ago.
Having Tyus back is that one extra quality player, who makes it a little bit easier for everyone else. That's what the NBA wants to see this year, too. They know he can carry a team; now they want to see if he can be a dynamic player without having to have the ball in his hands.

Weird that I was making almost this same arguement on Thursday.

Thanks bruh. Now I need another beta blocker before bed.

Jalen Carey. And he’s underrated, too. He’ll probably have a similar impact as Mali and Tyus did their freshman years.

Jalen Carey. And he’s underrated, too. He’ll probably have a similar impact as Mali and Tyus did their freshman years.

Not sure how to measure impact right now. But Mali and Battle averaged 34mpg and 30mpg respectively their freshman seasons. Not sure Carey will get those minutes.

Not sure how to measure impact right now. But Mali and Battle averaged 34mpg and 30mpg respectively their freshman seasons. Not sure Carey will get those minutes.

Yes, this.

Sans Battle, Carey almost definitely is a Frosh Mali/Battle-level contributor this year.

But with Tyus back, he’s now primed for Frosh Dion/MCW action.

Which means he’ll crush it as a Soph and then jump - which I think everybody here would sign up for right now 144% of the time.

This is great news for the Cuse. A very difficult decision for Ty. He wants to improve himself enough to get into the first round in next year's draft and to be an NBA player. A very laudable goal, but difficult because the NBA has a bias towards drafting younger players with unknown upsides. Ty will be an upperclassman with "limited" upside.

So what will it take for him to play himself into the first round ?

1. He will need to become a more efficient player. Take better shots and hit a higher percentage. Overall scoring average does not need to increase. In fact, it might be better if he average a few points less per game on higher percentages.

2. The look test - must get that hitch out of his stroke and be able to hit close to 40% from distance. He will also need to improve his off hand.

3. He has to make others around him better. learn to pass out of double teams, run the floor better, learn to kick off of iso drives when somebody comes to him. He will not be the PG, but he will need to create a little bit more for others.

4. Be a winner - no reason we should not be top ten or close to it for most of next season. Ty will need to be the linchpin player for that success.

5. D - NBA scouts have trouble assessing the D of 100% zone players. Ty is very effective at the top of the zone with his length. His next step on D is to increase his steals and be able to convert those steals to easy fast break points.

6. Lastly, he is a big strong guard, why is he averaging less than 3 RPG ? He needs to get that number closer to 5, even w fewer minutes.

Good observations. I hope he takes less, but better shots and ends up over 40% from 3. I hope learns to draw the double team and ends up with 4-5 dimes per game. I forgot how bad he was going to the left. I have heard fans from the opposing teams say, "he only goes right." I think that would be a big fix.

Attitude and confidence and hard work breeds leaders. Many leaders think they are the best player on the court although always respecting the talents of their teammates. Although a Tyus is the alpha dog, I think we have 5 guys now that want and can make the final shot of the game. Tyus-obvious reasons, Oshae-he’s willing and able and hopefully can finish at the basket( ability to get fouls and make them is huge), Carey- is super confidant and even cocky( I like it) and a proven scorer, Senior Frank- is totally capable and made big ones last year and if he improved forget about it and last but not least Buddy- who’s composed and a great confident shooter who’s been preparing his whole life for this.

I still want the zeal in Tyus s hands but we have options now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom