Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good move for Tyus. Can’t hurt to get the proper feedback. He and his family will make the right decision I think. He’s probably more tight with the players and coaches than Lydon was.
Speculation?

Good move for Tyus. Can’t hurt to get the proper feedback. He and his family will make the right decision I think. He’s probably more tight with the players and coaches than Lydon was.
Lydon made the right decision too. He is guaranteed 3 million and was a 1st rounder. He looked really good before he got hurt in the limited tape I saw.

Ageeed on Lydon this already writing him off in the NBA are a bit premature. He has a lot of work to do on both sides of the court and also needs to really dedicate himself on his fitness and wight room, but he has some time but I think he has the skills to develop into a decent NBA player.

Battle should come back but either way it’s fun watching him play. No nba exec here but my 2 cents is he plays a few less min here next year and if he can improve 3 pointer to high 37 or 40 percent plus raise regular percentage to high 46 ish and pass ball around a bit more cause he won’t have to be only offensive guy on team, he could do himself well in nba draft next year. Especially if he shows well against Barrett from Duke next year. We play them twice so we can see how ready he is and I think he will do well. Kick butt kid.

My second thought on Battle staying is how much himself Hughes and Carey help each other by practicing against one another. Buddy also because their is some elite athletic ability with them 3. With Brissett at pf, Hughes at sf, Battle at sg, Frank at point with Carey subbing in for either with next to no drop off and Sidibe coming back at full strength with back to baskets skills he has, we would have 4 shooters on floor at once or marek comes in and we have 3 and 2 short shot guys. Love the different lineups this team could have. Our zone should also be lock down effective with Ty teaching Carey al the little zone secrets. I just hope Carey doesn’t get upset about if Ty stays cause he can learn a lot from Ty. Color me orange excited. Oh yeah, on that note Bud has a new Bud light orange beer. It’s awesome.

Well if he leaves and is drafted in the 1st round it will keep our streak alive!!
it is actually our other streak that is important to me.

in terms of the first rounder streak it would actually be nice for us to have a first round caliber player come back and kill that streak once and for all.

Going to be interesting to see who gets combine invites. They only hand out about 65. After the top 25-30 kids a lot of these guys have to play 5 on 5 at the combine.

A lot of NBA scouts deceived themselves into believing that Lydon has next level athleticism. He doesn't. Plus he had developed that ridiculous double pump before shooting, which is probably a bigger flaw than is Ty's hitch.

However, that being said, the stretch 4 concept is so in vogue with NBA scouts that anybody 6' 10' or bigger who appears to have trey range on their shot has a great chance to go in the first round.

Personally, I think Ty is way better than Lydon, but that does not necessarily make either one a legitimate NBA caliber player or a bona fide first round pick. It was fairly obvious that Lydon was going in the first round, and unless Ty blows up at the combine he isn't. That is why it was smart for Lydon to declare and it may not be the thing for Ty to do.

Lydon’s combine measurements go directly against your opinion.

Maybe there’s a reason your buddy retired. Like a lot of people on this board it seems like you overvalue isolation scoring for role players. This isn’t the 90’s.

No inside info, just reading the tea leaves - Battle is looking for a commitment from a team with a situation he likes.
This draft is so stacked not sure he gets a legit one.

Agree with this decision 100 percent...is a “case study” where somebody decided to come back and still went first round the next year(2017)?

No inside info, just reading the tea leaves - Battle is looking for a commitment from a team with a situation he likes.
I suspect this is the case. "There's no guaranteed money in the second round" is a common refrain, but in practice many second rounders end up with substantial guaranteed money. The kicker is that there isn't a salary cap exception for second rounders like there is for first rounders, so teams need to use cap space or some other exception (e.g., part of the MLE).

Based on some quick research:
Last year, there were 23 players drafted in the second round out of the NCAA (the other 7 were foreign stashes).
- 12 signed contracts guaranteeing them over $2 million (for reference: the last pick in the first round got $3 million of guaranteed money, Tyler Lydon got about $3.5 million as the 24th pick)
- Another three got some guaranteed money as part of an NBA contract.
- Six of the other eight got 2-way contracts.
That leaves only two that were left completely without an NBA contract: Jaron Blossomgame signed a G-League contract with the Spurs' affiliate after they drafted him, Nigel Williams-Goss went to play in Europe.

TLDR: A lot of second round picks do pretty well for themselves, if they end up with a team that's committed to them.

I suspect this is the case. "There's no guaranteed money in the second round" is a common refrain, but in practice many second rounders end up with substantial guaranteed money. The kicker is that there isn't a salary cap exception for second rounders like there is for first rounders, so teams need to use cap space or some other exception (e.g., part of the MLE).

Last year, there were 23 players drafted in the second round out of the NCAA (the other 7 were foreign stashes).
- 12 signed contracts guaranteeing them over $2 million (for reference: the last pick in the first round got $3 million of guaranteed money, Tyler Lydon got about $3.5 million as the 24th pick)
That leaves only two that were left completely without an NBA contract: Jaron Blossomgame signed a G-League contract with the Spurs' affiliate after they drafted him, Nigel Williams-Goss went to play in Europe.

TLDR: A lot of second round picks do pretty well for themselves, if they end up with a team that's committed to them.
Nice research.

One thing I can't forget is how often a new draftee is traded. I know that a scout is different from a general manager, and the former may actually have done plenty of research and be committed to a player, but the scout can still be overruled by the latter. So I wonder if a player should ever make any assumptions about where they end up (guaranteed money aside). Seems like only yesterday that MCW and Jerami Grant were to be part of the core of the future Sixers powerhouse (who are, ironically, improving anyway).

Players are still commodities.

Outstanding. Looks like maybe we should change how we perceive being a second round pick.

They all make 20k and ride buses to Sioux falls!

Lydon’s combine measurements go directly against your opinion.

Maybe there’s a reason your buddy retired. Like a lot of people on this board it seems like you overvalue isolation scoring for role players. This isn’t the 90’s.

i do not know about his measureables. i only know what i saw on the court. if tyler had high level of athleticism it did not translate well to his game. i think he actually regresses his second season. i am not remembering incessant double pumping as a frosh.

in terms of my buddy, your post was uncalled for, i had stated the opinions i had were my own and not his.

i hope tyler kills it when he comes back from injury, that is just not my expectation.

i do not know about his measureables. i only know what i saw on the court. if tyler had high level of athleticism it did translate well to his game. i think he actually regresses his second season. i am not remembering incessant double pumping as a frosh.

in terms of my buddy, your post was uncalled for, i had stated the opinions i had were my own and not his.

i hope tyler kills it when he comes back from injury, that is just not my expectation.

I wasn’t personally attacking anyone. I just notice a lot of people are still scouting players like the 90’s when no team plays that style anymore. As far as Lydon goes you must have misremembered his refusal to shoot early his freshman season as that was an issue when JB was suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.