UCLA basketball players arrested in China | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UCLA basketball players arrested in China

They can be held in custody for up to a month without bail, and are subject to a 10 year prison sentence.
The police came to the hotel at 8am and kept the players from both teams locked in their rooms for hours, and were not allowed to speak with the coaches. The Ga. Tech players were released first, and at 1pm they arrested the UCLA players.
Supposed shop lifting at Louis Vuitton near the hotel.
Now this is serious. Yes stupid on their part, of course if they are indeed guilty. You don't know for sure what is going on there. I still think the school, and the program needs to better chaperone these kids, who are freshman, and not all have LaVar Ball for a daddy. Some have never traveled very far from home before. And now you are in a very different country.

I'm very curious to what they stole.

They were caught at a LV store in the hotel.

According to the law in China, theft of 18,000 RMB worth of things will put you in jail for 1 year and plus one more month for each additional 1000 RMB. 18000 RMB (12 months), 19000 RMB (13 months) , 20000 RMB (14 months), so on and so forth.

Currency ratio today : 1 USD= 6.58794 RMB

Last edited:
They can be held in custody for up to a month without bail, and are subject to a 10 year prison sentence.
The police came to the hotel at 8am and kept the players from both teams locked in their rooms for hours, and were not allowed to speak with the coaches. The Ga. Tech players were released first, and at 1pm they arrested the UCLA players.
Now this is serious. Yes stupid on their part, of course if they are indeed guilty. You don't know for sure what is going on there. I still think the school, and the program needs to better chaperone these kids, who are freshman, and not all have LaVar Ball for a daddy. Some have never traveled very far from home before. And now you are in a very different country.

Weird how dozens of other teams can travel overseas and never have this happen .

There is no degree of oversight that can defend again malignant asshattery

Hopefully the Chinese Govt won’t use this as an opportunity for payback for the wonderful exhibit of exemplary (thuggish) behavior by a previous NCAA team filled with “goodwill” ambassadors!
7597F0A2-CCCA-400A-9398-E1EF26A870DB.jpeg

It is wrong of me to hope they throw the book at them. And, for the record, I wasn't on board with the handling of MCW's robegate.

Yes! It is a country with a different set of laws. As a school you need to make sure that they are aware of the differences. Maybe it comes with 30 years of hard labor.
Weird how dozens of other teams can travel overseas and never have this happen .

There is no degree of oversight that can defend again malignant asshattery

Wierd how millions of other 19 year olds have visited China over the years and this has never happened or happened at such a low rate it's not calculated. Apparently, college basketball players need special attention.

They were caught at a LV store in the hotel.

According to the law in China, theft of 18,000 RMB worth of things will put you in jail for 1 year and plus one more month for each additional 1000 RMB. 18000 RMB (12 months), 19000 RMB (13 months) , 20000 RMB (14 months), so on and so forth.

Currency ratio today : 1 USD= 6.58794 RMB
ouch......

It is wrong of me to hope they throw the book at them. And, for the record, I wasn't on board with the handling of MCW's robegate.

Right there with you on both. On some level I have sympathy for kids who (presumably) are scared s-------- and are facing some real hardship. On the other, what a bunch of punks, accustomed to doing whatever they want with adults who look the other way because they play a sport.

Also, there's some irony here - kids committing a crime for no reason other than greed, stealing luxury goods no one could possibly need. And they're only in such a position because of the grotesque greed of the schools, conference, and NCAA, sending them half a world away to play a basketball game when classes are in session.

Finally, insert obligatory Shabazz Napier "athletes are so poor they go hungry at night" joke here.

You would think the school would send a school rep/chaperone with each group of players as well as a local Chinese guide to avoid such situations...

Correct. Not to prevent things like this from happening, but for security reasons as well. Reckless to let this happen.

Listen, I understand his Dad is a huge D bag and can be super annoying. I don’t like him and I’m sure I’m not alone on this... BUT damn, people need to chill out going after his kids so hard. I’m not talking about you guys, but some of the stuff I’ve read on the internet, you’d think they killed someone. Was it dumb? Yes. Especially being in China... but college freshman do dumb things. People need to relax. Not excusing their behavior but jeez.

Lavar better shut up. China is not something LaVar can be crazy about.
These kids can held 30+ days before being in front of a judge.

The players better pray Trump and the US consultant can get these kids out.

I think Trump coming to visit is going to help out BIGLEY. It will get smoothed over.

What did they take - sunglasses

Watch, Trump will go with the approach, "Stuff made in China isn't worth anything anyway, so it couldn't possible have been stealing."

It's probably the case that one of the assistant coaches was suppose to get the bill and some stuff was accidentally missed. (No way for NCAA or Feds to follow-up on things purchased in China.) The assistant coach just needs to go back to the store and settle up with a bit of interest and all fire squad threats will be dropped.

If these kids are found guilty and get off lighter than others who have been found guilty, would that be considered a special benefit?

If these kids are found guilty and get off lighter than others who have been found guilty, would that be considered a special benefit?
Better question is if UCLA pays for their legal council which they did is that a special benefit?

Yes! It is a country with a different set of laws. As a school you need to make sure that they are aware of the differences. Maybe it comes with 30 years of hard labor.

Steeling is against the law everywhere. It's something you instinctively know is wrong from the time you understand the concept of possessions. Sure the penalties vary but it's still a crime and the surely knew better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom