UConn - ACC? | Syracusefan.com

UConn - ACC?

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
I know a lot of people on here seem to think that if ND went to the ACC - UConn would probably be asked next. I wonder though how there academics might play a role in being left out, especially with the article on ESPN that with the new rules they could be left out of the tournament

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...changes-keep-connecticut-huskies-2013-tourney

I think more then some of the other conferences (B10 would be similar) the ACC does value the academics side of expansion just as much as the competition, money, and geographical fit. I wonder if Rutgers would look more appealing then UConn for all of those reasons?

Truthfully I don't care but I know there has been a lot of discussion on here about who would come to the ACC if it expanded further.

My hope is that they both Uconn and Rutgers get left out and we can regain our dominance in the region and pretend the aughts never happened.

Were these actual grade, graduation, transfer problems or guys going pro early?

UConn isn't (nor should they be) the slam dunk that everyone claims they are. Granted, they've won 3NC's under Calhoun and went to a BCS last year. And on paper, that is impressive. But scratch below the surface and that school has a TON of warts.

1) The BBall program is run on the ragged edge of NCAA rulebook. They have just admitted guilt to violating major NCAA violations.

2) Their football BCS birth last year was by default. Someone had to win the Big East. In any other conference, UConn would not have even sniffed a BCS birth.

3) Their fan turnout to the NC and BCS games was GODAWFUL! Their fanbase is small and doesn't travel well.

4) There is a history of venom between UConn and the ACC

5) The ACC already has penetration into the New England market with BC.

I'm sure there is more, but its early and I can't think of them yet...

UConn isn't (nor should they be) the slam dunk that everyone claims they are. Granted, they've won 3NC's under Calhoun and went to a BCS last year. And on paper, that is impressive. But scratch below the surface and that school has a TON of warts.

1) The BBall program is run on the ragged edge of NCAA rulebook. They have just admitted guilt to violating major NCAA violations.

2) Their football BCS birth last year was by default. Someone had to win the Big East. In any other conference, UConn would not have even sniffed a BCS birth.

3) Their fan turnout to the NC and BCS games was GODAWFUL! Their fanbase is small and doesn't travel well.

I agree with you. If you drop the nostalgia or misguidedly trying to decide who "deserves" an invite based on how the teams have succeeded lately, I cant think of any reason UConn should be included.

First, of all, any ACC expansion should be all about football. Adding Syracuse and Pitt (plus the demise of the Big East) took the ACC from a middle of the pack basketball conference to the top basketball conference - but they are still the weakest in football, so that side of things needs to be addressed.

Knowing that it is about football, I dont see how UConn can even be in the expansion argument. After going to a BCS game (which obviously was not legit given how weak the Big East was) they lost their coach to Maryland of all places (who I dont think has ever gone to a BCS game). Then the best they could do for a replacement was Coach P. I dont want to bash him - he had some very good years at SU - but he's been out of the game for a long time and there was a reason he was let go. He is not going to leave the team in as good of a position as he found it. I'm honestly not sure any BCS team is in a worse position, football wise, than UConn at the moment.

Rutgers might be bad too, but they are better than UConn, and I think that going to the NY/NJ area and picking up an automatic win has some value. The state of Connecticut has very little to offer recruiting wise.

Finally, BC offers more tv viewers in New England, and Rutgers offers more tv viewers in NY.

What does UConn offer? I'm not really sure they offer anything. Yes, they have one of the best basketball programs out there, but adding one more great basketball conference to the already loaded ACC is not a positive in any way, and could actually be seen as a negative.

I think the ACC is more concerned about overall academic standards than the graduation rates of just the athletes on the football and basketball teams. In this regard both Rutgers and UCONN fit in with the current ACC schools just fine. I do think 44PRIDE has listed some good reasons why the ACC Presidents might give pause before extending an invitation to UCONN, but you can cite negatives for Rutgers as well, such as their deficit-challenged athletics department and overall mediocrity of their teams. In the end neither school gets in without Notre Dame. If Notre Dame commits you can be sure that the Domers will have some say as to who #16 is and it isn't a given that they'd recommend UCONN.

rutgirls has ZERO NILCH NADDA national draw-if they had a little they might be tempting-

but as they are they offer nothing other than a slim bit of the nyc market durring football season-lets see what they draw durring hoops season in the nyc market

I know a lot of people on here seem to think that if ND went to the ACC - UConn would probably be asked next. I wonder though how there academics might play a role in being left out, especially with the article on ESPN that with the new rules they could be left out of the tournament

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...changes-keep-connecticut-huskies-2013-tourney

I think more then some of the other conferences (B10 would be similar) the ACC does value the academics side of expansion just as much as the competition, money, and geographical fit. I wonder if Rutgers would look more appealing then UConn for all of those reasons?

Truthfully I don't care but I know there has been a lot of discussion on here about who would come to the ACC if it expanded further.

Academics for the institution as a whole...not just the athletic teams...and Uconn has a good reputation overall

For the poster above, UMD played in the Orange Bowl some years back under Fridge.

On UConn, once their iconic and tainted coach leaves (hoops coach, not fb coach), what is behind is a tradition of playing on the edge, an 8k area in Storrs, and a very dated hockey area for a few games. And as far as we know no obvious plan of succession.

The ACC does not have to go to 16. 14 seems like a solid # to me.

When it comes to the athletic side of things, there is no comparing Rutgers and Uconn. I would like to keep playing Uconn in a conference setting, Rutgers, well, I would like to just see them go away.

UCONN does offer the top woman's program in the country, an NCAA powerhouse in soccer, a good (very good by northeast standards) baseball program. UCONN is getting hammered because Jim Calhoun forces too many players to transfer. A lot of schools have one or two guys go the NBA, and I have to wonder what UK's numbers will look like in the near future, but I have never seen a program with so many players pressured into leaving than UCONN.

For the poster above, UMD played in the Orange Bowl some years back under Fridge.

On UConn, once their iconic and tainted coach leaves (hoops coach, not fb coach), what is behind is a tradition of playing on the edge, an 8k area in Storrs, and a very dated hockey area for a few games. And as far as we know no obvious plan of succession.

Succession plans are stupid. I'll show you why.

If Boeheim retires in 3 years, who would you rather have as head coach: Mike Hopkins or Brad Stevens?

I keep going back and forth on this issue.

Football is the key. So IF (and this is a HUGE if) ND decides to join the ACC the football side of the equation is set. Besides, neither UConn nor Rutgers add anything in terms of that sport.

But the ACC is also a conference that cares deeply about basketball.
UConn >>> Rutgers in this area.

Markets are important but in terms of football with ND and SU in the league, NYC penetration is about as high as it is likely going to be for any conference in that sport barring an ND/PSU tandem in the BiG. But, adding SU and UConn to Duke makes the ACC NYC's college basketball conference. Rutgers main value to the ACC in terms of market may be what little penetration they can muster for Philly. Like the NYC market, the Philly market is comprised about 20% of New Jersey residents, but South Jersey is nowhere near enamored of Rutgers as northern New Jersey seems to be.
Still any help in the Philly gives the slight edge to Rutgers in this regard.

The ACC also cares about the academics overall of an institution. In this regard it's about even between UConn and Rutgers.

The ACC also sees themselves as an all-sports conference. They want, for the most part, programs that are well-rounded in many sports. Rag on women's bb all you want, but in terms of the non-revenue sports the UConn ladies are the most dominant and high profile team out there right now. And their men's soccer and field hockey teams are usually highly regarded as well.

Ultimately ND is the deciding factor - first they have to want to join the ACC for all-sports and then, IF that should be the case, who would they want as #16 - Rutgers? UConn? someone else?

Cheers,
Neil

Football is the key. So IF (and this is a HUGE if) ND decides to join the ACC the football side of the equation is set. Besides, neither UConn nor Rutgers add anything in terms of that sport.

Markets are important but in terms of football with ND and SU in the league, NYC penetration is about as high as it is likely going to be for any conference in that sport barring an ND/PSU tandem in the BiG. But, adding SU and UConn to Duke makes the ACC NYC's college basketball conference. Rutgers main value to the ACC in terms of market may be what little penetration they can muster for Philly. Like the NYC market, the Philly market is comprised about 20% of New Jersey residents, but South Jersey is nowhere near enamored of Rutgers as northern New Jersey seems to be.

The ACC also cares about the academics overall of an institution. In this regard it's about even between UConn and Rutgers.

The ACC also sees themselves as an all-sports conference. They want, for the most part, programs that are well-rounded in many sports. Rag on women's bb all you want, but in terms of the non-revenue sports the UConn ladies are the most dominant and high profile team out there right now. And their men's soccer and field hockey teams are usually highly regarded as well.

Ultimately ND is the deciding factor - first they have to want to join the ACC for all-sports and then, IF that should be the case, who would they want as #16 - Rutgers? UConn? someone else?

Cheers,
Neil

Be funny if the ACC bypassed both and ND wanted Temple or an upgraded Villanova instead.

Cheers,
Neil
Agreed. All the +1 schools had better be sending muffin baskets to Swarbrick on a regular basis. ND is going to negotiate their choice as #16.

We all hate UConn and Rutgers because the school that we root for plays them.

But that's what's so great about having them in our conference. Regional rivalries are what make college sports so much fun. You run into alumni and fans of the other conference members everywhere you go in the northeast and you talk and argue about football and basketball. UConn is so good at hoops that when we beat them it's just fantastic. Rutgers being the regional rival also delivers on the good feelings when we crush them. Sure Rutgers is a hoops doormat but so will be Florida State and Clemson. Think we'll enjoy pounding them as much as we do Rutgers? Nope.

I want both schools in the ACC but if I have to choose I want UConn.

I'd rather the ACC take W Virginia and S Florida than Rutgers or UConn.

Succession plans are stupid. I'll show you why.

If Boeheim retires in 3 years, who would you rather have as head coach: Mike Hopkins or Brad Stevens?

Your point is valid but my stomach is churning just thinking about SU playing Brad Stevens style bball. Ughhhhhhhly.

As for point 5, interest in BC stops about 20 miles from Boston. BC doesn't rule in New England. There's more interest in Syracuse in NY State than there is for BC in Mass. This is why BC is worried about UConn and has been trying to hold it back. UConn has more cache in New England, particularly southern New England, than BC.

We all hate UConn and Rutgers because the school that we root for plays them.

But that's what's so great about having them in our conference. Regional rivalries are what make college sports so much fun. You run into alumni and fans of the other conference members everywhere you go in the northeast and you talk and argue about football and basketball. UConn is so good at hoops that when we beat them it's just fantastic. Rutgers being the regional rival also delivers on the good feelings when we crush them. Sure Rutgers is a hoops doormat but so will be Florida State and Clemson. Think we'll enjoy pounding them as much as we do Rutgers? Nope.

I want both schools in the ACC but if I have to choose I want UConn.

Finally, someone who agrees with me...and sees things the way I do.

But why do we want Rutgers or Uconn in the ACC when we are always fighting for the same players?Let them rot in the big east.Recruits will be ours.

Word. The ACC isn't in danger of being left out of the mix for the BCS (or whatever might succeed trhe BCS) so how good a program is RIGHT NOW isn't nearly as important as what they foresee long term. This is a 50-year decision. Coaches come and go. Location doesn;t change, demographics change slowly, and long-term tradition can carry for a long time (though it won't carry you forever).

Nobody in the ACC cares that Rutgers won a Wednesday might game five years ago and has gone to the Texas Bowl and similar locales several times since then. I don't need to defend the ACC's decision-making, but they obviously have concluded that Syracuse and Pitt, with long and rich histories in football and (fror Syracuse) a long and rich history in basketball, are likely to continue to be prominent schools in college football and basketball ove rthe long haul, with considerable fan interest in their respective demographic areas.

Cheers,
Neil

Good post. Philly is the one Eastern market that the ACC isn't involved in. I wonder if they think having RU and MD would give the ACC a small penetration?

It really is a toss up between RU and UConn. But like I said before the ACC is likely better off taking BOTH teams now. I think ND won't be going to a conference, and if they do they go B1G. Why risk ND and RU going to the B1G by waiting around?