UConn hoops back to Big East | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UConn hoops back to Big East

The thread on the Uconn basketball board is euphoric, the thread on their FB is full of terror.

UConn has football onlys that don't get it? Or just basketball fans that have unrealistic hopes about football?

It doesn’t matter what they decide to do with the football program, all results are disastrous.

Go independent: no bowl tie-ins. What 12 teams are going to line up to play them every year? You’re certainly not bringing anyone other than a mid-major into your stadium to play.

MAC: terrible TV deal, you’re going to play Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

Conference USA: probably worse than the MAC.

Drop down to I-AA: never sniff the playoffs. No TV deal.

RIP UConn Football

Agree. TBH, there are too many schools trying to play D1 football anyway that should be spending their resources elsewhere imho.

I agree. The current Big East basketball schools always acknowledged that basketball was their #1 priority, stuck with it and stayed relevant and survived because of it. Their conference suffered a down year and adding UConn could add some excitement to their league especially after losing a number of their high profile coaches to P5 programs. The Big East’s biggest issue is keeping their most successful basketball coaches from being poached insuring conference stability.

This is UConn admitting the pipe dream of a P5 invite is over. And when the P5 inevitably break off on their own, their basketball program will be left for dead too.

In the short term it’s great for them but it could have drastic long term implications.

This is UConn admitting the pipe dream of a P5 invite is over. And when the P5 inevitably break off on their own, their basketball program will be left for dead too.

In the short term it’s great for them but it could have drastic long term implications.

The P5 has been on the verge of forming their own league for nearly a decade now.

CUSA and the MAC won't accept UConn as a football only member. They'll have to go independent.

CUSA and the MAC won't accept UConn as a football only member. They'll have to go independent.

Yeah they will make more money that way, cash 12 tomato can checks a year against P5 teams and don’t have to share the money

UConn was not really happy with the new AAC deal with ESPN about having less linear tv coverage

If that happens I don’t see being in the AAC vs Big East making a difference. I doubt having a very bad football team in a non P5 conference with no real resources to upgrade vs having no football team, will be a difference maker with the P5’s future decisions.

If that happens I don’t see being in the AAC vs Big East making a difference. I doubt having a very bad football team in a non P5 conference with no real resources to upgrade vs having no football team, will be a difference maker with the P5’s future decisions.

Good point. I was more referring to the end of any chance for them to get a P5 invite. I know many UConn fans still held out hope.

Such a dumb move by the Big East teams to let them back. They were doing fine without them.

Sure but now that conference can claim more recent NCs than before.

Also since Notre Dame has gone B1G for hockey would not be shocked if they join it for hoops once this contract is up. That’s a long way off though. But expect that if they lose too many of the 5 ACC football games they play annually.

MAC already took in Umass football only.

I hate them as much as you but they tick the same boxes Buttgers did to get into the B1G. And are an automatic win. NY/New England market has a lot of people. A lesser conference will take them. Heck they would be smart to push for MWC travel doesn’t matter for football it’s just 4 road games a year they’re not shlepping field hockey to Lubbock like WVU.

Since their football is a midmajor now we should offer no better than 2 for 1s in football.
They will be desperate to fill out games as an independent.
They will be tomato can home games for SEC/Big Ten/ACC teams.

We shouldn’t be playing them at all. Why help them?

We shouldn’t be playing them at all. Why help them?
UConn as a 2 for 1 is better than Western Michigan 1 for 1.

We don’t need to play them home/home anymore. They are a midmajor but we need home games. If we can them 2 for 1 or a 1 off paycheck every 5 years do that.

They aren’t worthy of a home/home is all my point is. I don’t want to play them on those terms but in our favor no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom