Uh, Louisville... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Uh, Louisville...

When things get hard, quit!

Also, louisville played and won last night, so this is all a moot point.

I’d feel differently if they were actually paid...claiming a free education is payment is idiotic. It’s effectively claiming a barter system is equivalent to monetary exchange - which it isn’t. The rules of you’re getting paid (legitimately) are different than if you’re not - choosing as a team to skip the NIT is only marginally worse than an intramural team dropping from a basketball league.
As a purely hypothetical situation, I still have no issue with players choosing to not play in meaningless games.

I’d feel differently if they were actually paid...claiming a free education is payment is idiotic. It’s effectively claiming a barter system is equivalent to monetary exchange - which it isn’t.

Actually, it is. But thanks for calling folks idiots.

I’d feel differently if they were actually paid...claiming a free education is payment is idiotic. It’s effectively claiming a barter system is equivalent to monetary exchange - which it isn’t. The rules of you’re getting paid (legitimately) are different than if you’re not - choosing as a team to skip the NIT is only marginally worse than an intramural team dropping from a basketball league.
As a purely hypothetical situation, I still have no issue with players choosing to not play in meaningless games.

Not saying i agree or disagree with players deserving more consideration, whether its in the form of money or other things. That being said, regarding the bolded statement above, you seem to be ignorant of contract law and what constitutes adequate consideration.

Also, your argument is a slippery slope. Are you saying players should be able to skip any game at all or only the ones that are deemed meaningless? Who is the adjudicator as to what a meaningless game is? Does it matter if a senior bench player who contributes but will never play professionally does not find the game meaningless but a sophomore starter does? Could any non NCAAT game be considered meaningless? What about exhibition games or non-conference games versus lower ranked teams?

Last edited:
They just went through a season where their head coach was fired at the start and the program disgraced (and lost a key player), played well enough to be a bubble team for the NCAA, missed that and don’t want to play in the Not Invited Tournament that absolutely nobody cares about. I don’t blame the players or find their attitude disgusting at all.

So disappointing season and other people screwing up means I don’t want to play anymore this year? I don’t get it.

“Nobody cares” about the NIT is a bit of an exagerration. For a program like Louisville, it’s not what they hope for and expect, but it’s basketball against other decent teams, with a trip to NY and finals at MSG if you get there. Not all college kids are as jaded about everything as the spoiled adult fans who act like this is the pros. Some of these kids grew up never leaving their hometown, getting to travel and play basketball in a tournament might still be cool to some of them. Lame of the adults running the program to put it to a vote.

Actually, it is. But thanks for calling folks idiots.
Not really. With a barter system, your uses for the bartered for bargain can be limited. (Free tuition is not transferrable for other goods or services.) Being paid with money allows you to chose the items for which you want to exchange the bargained for reward for your services.

Not really. With a barter system, your uses for the bartered for bargain can be limited. (Free tuition is not transferrable for other goods or services.) Being paid with money allows you to chose the items for which you want to exchange the bargained for reward for your services.

I have to declare as income the free tuition I receive for grad classes. It may be barter, but the gov't calls it income...

In that sense, you have a point, but whether the student gets the services for "free" or as a stipend which must be used for tuition, it's the same. I was looking at it purely from an IRS/income perspective. Hell, this country was essentially founded on the barter system.

Let the walk ons play. They wouldn’t turn down an opportunity to play.

These kids don’t realize what they have until it’s gone. Playing in these tournaments should not be taken for granted. Suck it up buttercups.

Might be time to shut the NIT tourney down. Nobody wants to play in it.

Pitt and Georgetown didn't even get an invite to the CBI. They'd love to be able to make the NIT..... Life is good.

Pitt and Georgetown didn't even get an invite to the CBI. They'd love to be able to make the NIT... Life is good.
The CBI doesn't take P5 teams. There's no invite to be had there.

UofL players with initial disappointment were not that interested in playing in NIT. Can't blame them. A tough season all around, and they and Padgett did what they could. That horrifying last second loss to UVA was like a ton of bricks falling on them. But once emotion settled down, they were ready to play in the NIT. They started slowly but came back in 2nd half which is typical of their play this season. No telling what will happen next season. Not looking good.

Might be time to shut the NIT tourney down. Nobody wants to play in it.
I would like to see the NIT played preseason, with the Sweet 16 from the prior NCAA tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom