UK fan here - Be objective | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UK fan here - Be objective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exposure has never been a problem for SU. We are NY's team and own the media capitol of the World.

with all due respect, this is false. NYC follows UConn, St. John's and even Rutgers, Duke and Notre Dame more than they follow SU.

Oh bubba...you're gonna get roasted on this one.

That's because we tend to play our premier games in conference...in February & March, not December

UConn has been holding your conference's credibility together. Everyone else is just a product of media hype and the fact that ESPN can sell your members to 8 of the top 20 markets in America (NYC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cincy, DC, Milwaukee, etc.).

Exposure has never been a problem for SU. We are NY's team and own the media capitol of the World.

with all due respect, this is false. NYC follows UConn, St. John's and even Rutgers, Duke and Notre Dame more than they follow SU.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Go to the Garden and watch SU play any of those teams, and take a look at what color shirts the people in the crowd are wearing. We own NYC.

Speaking of the Garden - if Noel comes to Cuse, since we'll be in the BE for one more year, it would seem, he'd get to play at MSG for the conference tournament. That is a HUGE advantage for the Big East, and the one thing I'll really miss about the conference.

It's official, he's a Rutgers fan, too! Kidding, but seriously, to say that is utterly false. You've obviously never seen a game with SU @ the garden. "Away" games with 90% of the crowd. Drowning out every other fan base at the BE Tourney with over half of the fans. NYC may also "follow" those teams, but none are as prominent in NYC as SU and it isn't close.

Here is the view from St. John's fans: http://www.redmen.com/forum/4-redmentalk/17831-things-that-bugged-me-about-todays-syracuse-game.html

Okay. I should have known I was going to get the same retread sophomoric jokes. Should I interject some pedophile humor?

Here's my breakdown:

Proximity - Syracuse (obviously Syracuse is closer to Boston than Lexington but with SU joining the ACC, NN will no longer be playing any road games close to home except @BC, if that's even a game in his only season in college)

Winning - Kentucky (Cal has been past the sweet-16 five of the past six seasons. Syracuse has been past the Sweet-16 twice in the past 20 years).

Preparation for next level - Kentucky (Cal has had more draft picks in the past 4 years than Boeheim has had in the last 20. Syracuse alums are notoriously bad on defense at the next level and other than Carmelo [who has been proven to be a hindrance to his teams based on how they are performing without him] there aren't any notable SU alums in the NBA).

Exposure - Kentucky (with virtually the same record, the national media will always be more intrigued with UK than SU. With so many elite teammates at UK, so will the scouts).

Playing time - Kentucky (even assuming that Fab Melo goes pro, NN will have 2 others to compete with at his exact position on SU. Even under the ludicrous assumption that Anthony Davis comes back, Noel would still only have 1 other player at his position on UK).

Focus of gameplan - Kentucky (A player with similar attributes as Noel is currently UK's leading in scoring, rebounding, blocks and steals. SU's top-5 leading scorers are guards/wings).

Decisions, Decisions...

Proximity - Syracuse. Even if they were to leave early (somewhat unlikely), the ACC road games would be closer than Kentucky's and more quality competition than Kentucky in either conference.

Winning - Syracuse. How many National Titles does Calipari? Last time Syracuse brought in this game changing type of recruit was 2003. Enough said.

NBA Preparation - Draw. Boeheim generally tends to look for players that are best at the college level that he can mold into his system. Unlike Calipari who trie$ getting the best talent available and just outplaying everyone based on natural talent alone. Noel will go #1 overall regardless of the school, unless he's a bust, which wouldn't matter either way.

Exposure - Kentucky. As in over-exposure. The scouts will be seeing him either way.

Playing Time - Draw. Fab is going pro. Noel will start at Syracuse. He can play the 4 or 5. He likes competition and might like the idea of actually having to compete for his tome versus it being handed to him.

Focus of Gameplan - Draw. I don't know if you've seen Fab Melo, but he's not a real huge offensive threat. Defensively, he'd shine in the 2-3 zone.

Decisions, Decisions.....

Lmao, you know that from living in the south right? Could not be more wrong

One final note about NYC...there's a reason that people never give us credit for playing games in the Garden. The pundits refer to those as being virtual home games for us, because we have such a strong alumni presence and fanbase in the city that every game at the Garden is basically a home game.

I am new here. Is the "Report" button to report morons?

It's official, he's a Rutgers fan, too! Kidding, but seriously, to say that is utterly false. You've obviously never seen a game with SU @ the garden. "Away" games with 90% of the crowd. Drowning out every other fan base at the BE Tourney with over half of the fans. NYC may also "follow" those teams, but none are as prominent in NYC as SU and it isn't close.

Wow. So you're sure that's not a product of Syracuse fans from upstate NY simply driving to games in NYC. Kentucky has a 95/5 crowd in the SECT every time we go to Atlanta, Tampa, New Orleans, etc. Would you say that Kentucky "owns" those cities? They're significantly further away from Lexington than Syracuse is from NYC, too.

Put Duke against SU in MSG and I promise there are more Duke fans.

Go. Away. Now.

hahahaha. You are a great example as to why UK is the most delusional fan base in all of sports.

Hasn't prevented us from winning 7 national championships, whereas your 19 team league only has 10 combined.

We also play a premier OOC schedule with nationally televised games against teams like UNC, Louisville, Kansas, UConn and a resurgent Indiana on an annual basis. Syracuse has had only a handful of compelling pre-January games the past 4 years and 3 of those (including the only one this season) has been against an SEC team...
The title of your post is funny. You ask us to be objective but you are anything but. Typical of UK fans that I've met and known though.

Let's break this down a bit. You guys were a POWERHOUSE in the late '40s and '50s with four national championships to your credit playing against some of the best white competition out there. Then when black athletes were allowed to played, your team decided to take a 20 year hiatus until winning another one in 1978. So you have five national championships pre-shot clock era. That's definitely going to wow Nerlens. Especially if you bring up the fact that Adolph Rupp allowed just one black player to ever play for him, and that he never won a national championship in an integrated game. That should fire him up.

Since then, your juggernaut has won two more national championships in the '90s. Since then, you've been the best basketball school in a football conference. Kudos to you. If we really want to add this up, since 1980 (when the Big East started) our conference has six national championships to your two. Since the Big East wasn't around during your other five, I'd say you skewed the numbers a bit. Plus you're an idiot because you compared teams that are now in the Big East that weren't in the Big East when they won an NC.

SU has won a national championship more recently than Kentucky (1998 vs. 2003). The Big East (if you want to do this) has won four national championship since UK's last one. Hell, a team in your own league has won as many NC's as you have since 1980, and has won those more recently than UK has won theirs.

Stop being a dope, if you want objectivity provide some yourself.

Wow. So you're sure that's not a product of Syracuse fans from upstate NY simply driving to games in NYC. Kentucky has a 95/5 crowd in the SECT every time we go to Atlanta, Tampa, New Orleans, etc. Would you say that Kentucky "owns" those cities? They're significantly further away from Lexington than Syracuse is from NYC, too.

duke can't even fill their own arena with students. 3rd period is about to start, run along now.

This statement right here tells you all you need to know about this clown. You clearly have never left the state of Kentucky. NYC is Orange basketball land. And if you don't believe me, go look at the attendance figures at MSG for St Johns games this year. Which one was the only one sold out? Your fans love to talk about BBN but we don't take a back seat to anybody when it comes to invading visitors arenas. Ask USF, Depaul, Rutgers, Nova, NC state. The list goes on.

Cuse has more alumni and fans in the tri state area than any fanbase, we live here buddy not you...stick to things you know

That's interesting. I just checked the record books and found that last year was Calipari's first Final Four trip.

He did take Memphis to the finals...same with UMass (I think). Or did those get revoked due to sanctions violations? I forget.

That's interesting. I just checked the record books and found that last year was Calipari's first Final Four trip.
Well, except for taking UMass in 1996 and Memphis with Derrick Rose...though were those trips vacated?

Dude, please do not come on this board and ask us to be objective and then say that NYC follows UConn, St. John's, Rutgers, Duke and ND basketball more than SU. I might concede that NYC follows Penn State and ND football and maybe, maybe Rutgers football more than SU. But for basketball, you have got to be kidding me.

But for how long? it's only a matter of time with Cal

Has very little to do with upstaters going downstate. SU's main alumni-base is in NYC. Trust us on this. Duke wouldn't out-draw SU in the garden.

Well... occasionally. You realize that UK averages more fans per home game than SU, right? Plus UK's games in the SECT will draw more fans than any SU game.
What? Are you saying that any UK game in the SEC tournament will draw more fans than a game at the carrier dome? I just saw that you said put Duke in NYC and they out draw Syracuse. Not even close. Stick to talking about the SEC. You have no idea how popular Syracuse is in the northeast.

The SEC tournament? Forgot it even existed.

hey buddy, Syracuse went to Rutgers yesterday it was damn near 40% SU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom